Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Dead GTX 560?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2012 3:13:02 AM

Hi, I just put together a new build for a friend but on startup I get no display. I've tried re-seating the card, checked that the two 6-pin connectors are in properly and tried the second PCI-E slot on the motherboard but nothing is working. All the fans are spinning and it sounds to me like it's passing the POST but I always get a 'no signal' message on the monitor. Any ideas? Thanks.

More about : dead gtx 560

a c 181 U Graphics card
January 13, 2012 2:23:12 AM

Have you checked the card in another rig? Does his onboard GPU work? Do you have all the drivers installed? and all the old one's out? Cables plug in the right slots meaning from the new GPU to the monitor? Do you have another card to check if it works on his MOBO? Let us know the answers.
Score
January 13, 2012 2:34:02 AM

Thanks for the reply.
Got no other rig to check the card on at the moment sadly. No onboard GPU to test either. I haven't been able to get far enough to install drivers, can't get any picture on the screen whatsoever. I'm pretty certain the monitor cables are correct. Tried two different cables on all three GPU outputs to a monitor that I know works. I might be able to check another card on his motherboard but I don't have access to it at the moment. This is a brand new build so all the components are fresh out of the box.
Score
Related resources
January 21, 2012 1:39:28 AM

Hi, had some more time to work on the problem. The card works fine, however it appears that the first two RAM slots closest to the CPU are causing the problem. Both RAM sticks are tested and working, however when there is a stick of RAM in one of the first two slots regardless of whether both sticks of RAM are in or just one I get the no signal error. When a stick of RAM is put in the third or fourth slot it boots fine. Could this mean that the two slots are dead, or just causing some sort of compatibility issue? Another person I know has the same motherboard, RAM and CPU but a GTX 560 Ti (not the standard 560) and his is working fine.
Score

Best solution

a c 181 U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 2:20:32 AM

You know I hate to say it but your Ram slots are shot. How many stix of ram do you have? Just to make sure did you try all of your stixs of ram in the first two slots and no matter which one you put in you get the same problem?

You need the first and the third slot to be the 1 and 2 of the order you put the ram in. When you have your ram in the last two slots does it show up? This may not be what you want to hear but it could be the MOBO.
January 21, 2012 4:35:25 AM

I thought it might be. I have two sticks of RAM. I have tried both sticks in both of the dead slots, no display. The other two slots work fine.

I know that to run in dual channel mode you need the RAM in alternating slots ie. 1,3 or 2,4, but with both sticks in 3,4 the computer boots fine and the BIOS states the correct amount of RAM at the correct speed (8GB at 1333mhz). Is this just wrong?
Score
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 4:40:35 AM

No the speed is not wrong but it is weird. Well use it that way for now because it works. You don't have anything to loose at this point. If it works then go with it. Chase the problem down the road when you can afford to do something about it. I do wish you the best of luck on this.
Score
January 21, 2012 5:31:10 AM

All right. Thanks very much for all your help.
Score
a c 181 U Graphics card
January 21, 2012 6:56:16 PM

You are most welcome
Score
January 21, 2012 9:27:26 PM

Best answer selected by Aleatoire.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 22, 2012 5:46:26 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score