Power supply volts are all over the place

shaunsquanto

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
i have a theraltake tr2 and im using Everest ultimate to monitor every thing like volt witch is concerning me they are any where from 3.58 to 13.95 and my average is 9.12 i just wanted to know if drawing almost 14 volts from a 12 volt rail is bad like should i be worried or not worried because it running right now thank you

Solution
thermaltake has a bad reputation for psus in general. the thing is there are only a few actual PSU manufacturers. most companies order them, and slap their name on the side, so you get a mixed bag where some of their models are from a quality manufacturer, and some are crap.

always check for professional reviews when buying like hardwaresecrets, jonnyguru, techpowerup, etc. for instance I know they make some decent 750W ones because a guy had.one in another post and the initial reaction is "its the PSU" but you can go look up that series reviews and find its actually good. so you can't assume they are all trash and make someone waste money replacing it, but when you are buying its much better to go with a brand with consistent high...

shaunsquanto

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
so is it all theraltake or just the tr2 and i also noticed it being abnormal hot after running it at 300w but right now im running it at 370w friends have told me that psu just run hot and about the components what is the likely hood that it will go because i got this one because my freind had the tr1 and used it for 5 years and going and thanks for the reply

its thermaltake in general. they do have a few decent units, but cheap ones are out of the question

general thermaltake list of reviews http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page680.htm

thermaltake has a bad reputation for psus in general. the thing is there are only a few actual PSU manufacturers. most companies order them, and slap their name on the side, so you get a mixed bag where some of their models are from a quality manufacturer, and some are crap.

always check for professional reviews when buying like hardwaresecrets, jonnyguru, techpowerup, etc. for instance I know they make some decent 750W ones because a guy had.one in another post and the initial reaction is "its the PSU" but you can go look up that series reviews and find its actually good. so you can't assume they are all trash and make someone waste money replacing it, but when you are buying its much better to go with a brand with consistent high standards

here's a pretty good tiered list of PSUs
www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

Solution
Check it with a volt meter before going out and buying things. Software is never very good at detecting voltages. Since its so far out of spec I would think the pc wouldn't even start (more like just get over volted and die.).

As for the powersupply over heating, yes replace it for that sole issue (well voltages to if you find that its not just the software being dumb) but either way, replace that.

shaunsquanto

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
so can someone direct me to a good 600w power supply or just a good brand in general i know that corsair is pretty good i havent had any problems out of there ram

and is this power supply likely to take out any components if it go and one thing i want to mention is the on newegg this psu didnt that many bad reviews and barley any DOAs

and i also want to add i have had 4 psu die in my pc and nothing get burned out all of them being oem psu or cheep so i got one that was a little better or i thought it was

seasonic, corsair, and antec are pretty good. check that tiered list. Newegg reviews are kinda worthless for PSUs. most people vastly overstate their tech level and as long as it turns on rate it up. Anyone with a real tech level would have seen the pro reviews and not bought it in the first place

its really dependant on how much one is willing to pay for. psu is one of those things that a person should never underpay, as if it goes bad, then the whole system becomes unusable.

ATM, as a recommendation, take advantage of antec's current 15% off specials on select psus. OCZ is also on the same line. The current spotlight psu deal is 10$ off the corsair cx 500w.

And heres the general psu database in case you need to check up a psu or a similar model in a line of psus and learn more about which original manufacturer made the psu before the rebrandings

shaunsquanto

Honorable
Mar 31, 2012
this is a budget pc build my first was kinda happy when it turned on its an lga 775 build and since then i found out that the cpu i picked runs hot and now i picked a bad psu to use i might change it out if i have the chance but i think i just wait for it to die because it was a first build and i made some bad compnont choices in the first place and take what ive learned and do a second build

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
Some monitors report voltages that cannot possibly be true for the computer to operate at all. Always verify them with direct readings taken with a voltage meter.

Thermaltake uses a variety of power supply manufacturers, making a logical generalization about their quality impossible.