Need Advice For First time CPU builder.

Kuroneko

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Around Next Week

Budget Range: $1000~$1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 3Dmax,AutoCad,Maya,Photoshop,Cinema4D,SonyVegas,Gaming,Surfing,Movies.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard,Mouse,Speakers,Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.com ( im buying the parts at a electronic mall "lowyat" at malaysia )

Parts Preferences: Nothing.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900, 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Prefer White case and got some neon light. ( black also okay laa. as long it looks alike alienware ), acctualy i targeting for buying 51x alienware new desktop pc. but i prefer the custom build one :3

Im new in computer build :( so please bear with me if i many thing i dont know.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Since you're doing lots of rendering, you want as much RAM as you can get. 16GB is good, 32GB is better. Those programs will use as much as you can give them.

You want as many cores on your chip as possible as well, as rendering "parallelizes" extremely well. Bulldozer, for all its many flaws, is actually a pretty good choice here, though I'd still recommend the 2500k because it's 99% as fast, and costs $50 less. That's $50 more you can put into other cool stuff like neon lights or a badass case.

Also, since you're so productivity oriented, the argument could easily be made that you should look into a professional grade video card. These are VERY expensive, so I've skipped that in my build. If what you're rendering is very large and complex, you'll definitely want to look into a Quadro or FirePro for your video card instead of a gaming card. They'll perform WAY better. I also don't know much about which cards perform well in 3DS Max, Maya, etc., so I just grabbed a 580. I'm hoping somebody who knows better than me can put you on the right track.

So, without further ado, here's my recommendation.

Motherboard - ASRock Extreme6 X79: $299.99
Processor - Intel i7-3820: $319.99
CPU Cooler - Intel Liquid Cooler: $92.99
Memory - G.SKILL DDR3-1600 32GB Quad Channel Kit: $189.99
GPU - EVGA GTX 580: $439.99
DVD Drive - ASUS DVD-RW: $20.99
Wireless Card - Rosewill PCIe WiFi: $24.99
PSU - Seasonic 620W: $96.99
Total: $1,485.92 (before any discounts or rebates)

I left out a case, as this is largely personal preference. Any mid or full sized ATX case should work just fine.

This gets you a liquid cooled, quad core, hyperthreaded Sandy Bridge E system, 32 GB of memory and a top of the line video card. The processor overclocks very well, and will be very, very powerful in things like 3DS Max and Maya. The video card will run any of today's games at max settings, and will assist in rendering too.

Edit: Damn, thought you said you didn't need a hard drive.

HDD - WD 320GB: $99.99

With this and a case, you're looking at being about $175-$200 over budget. If that's unacceptable, I'd recommend dropping to 4x 4GB sticks of memory, which should save you about $100. You can grab another 4x 4GB later (might cause minor stability issues) or a full up 8x 4GB kit (more expensive, but might run a bit better).

Alternatively, you can go with the cheaper 2500k processor, miss out on quad channel memory and lose a large amount of processing muscle. I think that given your uses for the machine, it's worth going a bit over budget to get the top of the line processor. You will definitely notice it in your render times.

Kuroneko

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
but i think i dont need wifi card. coz im using lan cable. about the processor what is the difference between the sandy bridge and normal one ? because my friend say core i7 3.4Ghz cost around $300 , any recomendation for the case? i dont know how to find the good case :(.