Registry questions....

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Can you move the registry to another partition?

Can you move portions of the registry to another partition?

Can you lock down the registry or portions of it to prevent changes?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

It is not recommended you do so because it is very important to the
operating system.
"Jim Hubbard" <reply@groups.please> wrote in message
> Can you move the registry to another partition?
>
> Can you move portions of the registry to another partition?
>
> Can you lock down the registry or portions of it to prevent changes?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi

The Registry has to stay put. Trying to move parts/all of it will render
programs unusable and possibly make your PC unbootable.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User

"Jim Hubbard" <reply@groups.please> wrote in message
> Can you move the registry to another partition?
>
> Can you move portions of the registry to another partition?
>
> Can you lock down the registry or portions of it to prevent changes?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

I am asking because I want to lock down my PC to prevent viruses and such,
but some registry entries need to be left open for program use.

I can lock the whole PC down just fine, but there goes any customization of
applications while it is locked down.

> Hi
>
> The Registry has to stay put. Trying to move parts/all of it will render
> programs unusable and possibly make your PC unbootable.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Jim Hubbard" <reply@groups.please> wrote in message
>> Can you move the registry to another partition?
>>
>> Can you move portions of the registry to another partition?
>>
>> Can you lock down the registry or portions of it to prevent changes?

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Did you try the "Tea Timer" utility in Spybot...?
TT requires user approval for registry settings changes.
Michael

>I am asking because I want to lock down my PC to prevent viruses and such,
>but some registry entries need to be left open for program use.
>
> I can lock the whole PC down just fine, but there goes any customization
> of applications while it is locked down.

>> Hi
>>
>> The Registry has to stay put. Trying to move parts/all of it will render
>> programs unusable and possibly make your PC unbootable.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Jim Hubbard" <reply@groups.please> wrote in message
>>> Can you move the registry to another partition?
>>>
>>> Can you move portions of the registry to another partition?
>>>
>>> Can you lock down the registry or portions of it to prevent changes?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

"Jim Hubbard" <reply@groups.please> wrote in message
|I am asking because I want to lock down my PC to prevent viruses and such,
| but some registry entries need to be left open for program use.
|
| I can lock the whole PC down just fine, but there goes any customization
of
| applications while it is locked down.

You might consider Regprot.

"RegistryProt is a 100% free, standalone, compact, low-level realtime
registry monitor and protector, that adds another dimension to Windows
security and intrusion detection. By monitoring important locations and keys
in the Windows system registry, RegistryProt will alert whenever a key is
added or changed, and then give the option of accepting the key change,
reverting back to the original key setting, or deleting the key."

It doesn't "lock down" the registry per se but it does give you a better
handle on what gets added.

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/index.php?page=regprot

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Malke

Jim Hubbard wrote:

> Thanks to Will, Michael and HillBillyBuddhist for their pointers.
>
> The solution I had was a $60 PCI card that locks down the C:
> partition. And, it REALLY locks it down.
>
> For example.....if you change the default fonts of an application, or
> you change the return email address in Outlook, all works fine until
> you reboot. Upon rebooting, all of your changes are gone.

(snip)

Consider using DeepFreeze on business systems.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hi

The Registry can't be moved as it is made up of several different files.
Programs that have been installed won't be able to find the Registry
references to their own programs and therefore won't run.

--

Will Denny
MVP - Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Jim Hubbard" <reply@groups.please> wrote in message
>I am asking because I want to lock down my PC to prevent viruses and such,
>but some registry entries need to be left open for program use.
>
> I can lock the whole PC down just fine, but there goes any customization
> of applications while it is locked down.

>> Hi
>>
>> The Registry has to stay put. Trying to move parts/all of it will render
>> programs unusable and possibly make your PC unbootable.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Jim Hubbard" <reply@groups.please> wrote in message
>>> Can you move the registry to another partition?
>>>
>>> Can you move portions of the registry to another partition?
>>>
>>> Can you lock down the registry or portions of it to prevent changes?

I can't find a place to download it. Got any suggestions?

"Malke" <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> wrote in message
> Jim Hubbard wrote:
>
>> Thanks to Will, Michael and HillBillyBuddhist for their pointers.
>>
>> The solution I had was a $60 PCI card that locks down the C:
>> partition. And, it REALLY locks it down.
>>
>> For example.....if you change the default fonts of an application, or
>> you change the return email address in Outlook, all works fine until
>> you reboot. Upon rebooting, all of your changes are gone.
>
> (snip)
>
> Consider using DeepFreeze on business systems.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

kelly

Download what, Jim?

--
All the Best,
Kelly

Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP-Shell/User
2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

Jim Hubbard wrote:

> "Malke" <malke@nospoonnotreally.com> wrote:
>> Jim Hubbard wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks to Will, Michael and HillBillyBuddhist for their pointers.
>>>
>>>The solution I had was a $60 PCI card that locks down the C:
>>>partition. And, it REALLY locks it down.
>>>
>>>For example.....if you change the default fonts of an application, or
>>>you change the return email address in Outlook, all works fine until
>>>you reboot. Upon rebooting, all of your changes are gone.
>>
>>(snip)
>>
>> Consider using DeepFreeze on business systems.
>

> I can't find a place to download it. Got any suggestions?
Hi

DeepFreeze is avaialble here:

http://www.faronics.com/

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

The answer is NO to your questions. However, you could create Limited Accounts so that the damage is limited. Also, these limited Accounts can be deleted and new ones created periodically in their place. Limited Accounts cannot bring the system down unless Uncle Bill has got his marbles mixed up!

Also, install SP2 the Wonder Drug which Uncle Bill is trying hard to install on 100m machines worldwide. Apparently, he has succeeded in installing on about 20m machines so you could help him achieve his targets.

Also, regularly use Nortons Utilities (NU) which can scan for erroneous entries in your registry. Spywares are a classic example which don't make links properly to avoid detection. NU will smoke them out like American bombers did to Bin Ladden in Tora Bora Mountains!!! I am assuming you are wiser than Uncle Bill in that you are using some form of Anti-Virus software which can update itself automatically. May I suggest that you delegate this laborious work to Symantec who is using cheap labour from Romania & Hungary!

Hope this helps.

Jim Hubbard wrote:

> Can you move the registry to another partition?
>
> Can you move portions of the registry to another partition?
>
> Can you lock down the registry or portions of it to prevent changes?

--
I use non Microsoft products wherever possible which requires no activation.

I use Netscape 7.2 as my default browser which has everything I need for my work.

I believe in good Financial Management!! I do not believe in enriching rich jerks!