Can't get CPU to stay at 4.5ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpardo2

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Running an Intel i5 2500k with an asrock extreme 3 motherboard. Overclocked the multiplier to 45 and its holding with all the voltages stable, but the second I idle the processor or decrease the workload it goes down to 1.6ghz. I guess the only questions I have are this, Will this make a difference when playing multiplayer FPS games online? and is it better to just leave it alone? I know its a waste of energy, and when I'm not using the computer I turn it off, so I'm not wasting electricity in the process. I've heard that it can have a negative effect on gaming though, which somewhat worries me. I must say even with it on I had no performance issues while playing earlier this morning. Any thoughts or comments?

Solution

this is an...

this is an option in the bios called speedstep technology. it is VERY useful in keeping temps down and increasing the life of your processor. I use it and Game frequently; if your overclock is stable then keep speedstep on. My 2500k is at 4.5ghz and i keep speedstep on and i have no issues with gaming, the primary function of my rig. it keeps your cpu in a lower powered state. you dont want your cpu at 4.5ghz all the time now when youre even browsing the net right?

Solution
+1 :D

teknique

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
this is a power saving feature when idling and it can be turned of in the BIOS. i forget what feature is called...

check when your pc is under load, it should jump back up.

EDIT: oops didn't get there first. speedstep.. thats the one.

jpardo2

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Ok so I will just keep it on then, like I said I have heard of people saying it's better to leave it on, and others tell me turn it off. I like the idea of saving some cash on the electric bill, plus the environment factor. +1's to everyone, and if I could give you all the best answer I would.

Overclocking is never guaranteed. Issues can arise when a processor steps from one frequency and core voltage to a much higher frequency and core voltage. This is because there exists a practical limit on the time rate of change of voltage called the Slew Rate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slew_rate

Intel's EIST should engineer around this by increasing the stepping period prior to restarting execution but there are literally hundreds of different factors which can cause instability.

Status
Not open for further replies.