Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Good upgrade from amd phenom ii x2 550 black edition?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 1, 2012 9:28:29 AM

what would be a good upgrade from amd phenom ii x2 550 black edition.

I have sli gtx 580's and in some games it has been bottle necking, i have been looking to upgrade for a small amount of time, any suggestions?
a c 84 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 1, 2012 9:50:40 AM

lol, sli gtx580's on a dual core amd cpu. you would be getting the same fps with 1 x 580, unless your running 3 1080p monitors from them. for those vid cards you need to really step it up a notch, a high end i5 cpu is what you need. AMD has nothing that can provide the juice 2 x 580's need.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 9:56:03 AM

Well if you have to just upgrade the CPU, look for a Phenom 970 at least and overclock it. If you can upgrade the board an i5 sandy bridge overclocked is what you need to keep feeding those 580s really, although an Phenom ii X4 at 4ghz might do it, I've heard of some people who are perfectly fine with that CPU at 4ghz with two 6950s.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 1, 2012 10:26:32 AM

ragnoon said:
what would be a good upgrade from amd phenom ii x2 550 black edition.

I have sli gtx 580's and in some games it has been bottle necking, i have been looking to upgrade for a small amount of time, any suggestions?


Hi ragnoon,

I recommend you to wait for AMD's Piledriver Desktop Processors. They are enhanced Bulldozers and they will deliver around 15% more performance. They are scheduled to release later this year.

But if you have enough money, then you should upgrade to one of the i5 3rd Generation CPUs as they will be perfect for the SLI setup you have.

Regards,
SmartGeek
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 10:36:08 AM

2572821,4,1222695 said:
Hi ragnoon,

I recommend you to wait for AMD's Piledriver Desktop Processors. They are enhanced Bulldozers and they will deliver around 15% more performance. They are scheduled to release later this year.

But if you have enough money, then you should upgrade to one of the i5 3rd Generation CPUs as they will be perfect for the SLI setup you have.

I don't have high hopes for those because of how the bulldozers turned out, but i suppose there is no harm in waiting.

m
0
l

Best solution

July 1, 2012 10:58:37 AM

ragnoon said:
what would be a good upgrade from amd phenom ii x2 550 black edition.

I have sli gtx 580's and in some games it has been bottle necking, i have been looking to upgrade for a small amount of time, any suggestions?



I would look for a good 6 core phenom II.
The FX-4170 \ 6100 is a very good value upgrade, if you already have the MB for it. ($120!!)

I most games it might bottleneck the machine by a few percent over the i7, with the exception of skyrim and maybe a few others. But if you use V-SYNC (which you need to in Skyrim - unless you want junk flying around your house) it makes no difference.

This is a good comparison: http://www.ocaholic.ch/xoops/html/modules/smartsection/...

If you are doing CPU heavy tasks like folding at home it might not be the best choice, but for games, works fine.

I can personally vouch the 4100 is not a slouch. (@4.5 ghz OC) My system is as snappy as any other. I can run every game I have at max+ settings, and there are no slowdowns at all below 60FPS (with v-sync)

Quote:
iam2thecrowe


lol, sli gtx580's on a dual core amd cpu. you would be getting the same fps with 1 x 580, unless your running 3 1080p monitors from them. for those vid cards you need to really step it up a notch, a high end i5 cpu is what you need. AMD has nothing that can provide the juice 2 x 580's need.
<--- This is a lie, based on emotion - CPU has no bearing on high resolution gaming, which SLI /C-Fire is truly for. Sure the FX series was a letdown, but it is not that slow. I would recommend intel from the ground up new system, but moving there for only a cpu upgrade is not good value for your dollar.

(ASUS M5A-97 EVO, FX 4100@4.5, XFX 6870, 8GB 1600)
Share
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 11:02:02 AM

I have your CPU. flip the switch in the BIOS to make it a quad core. overclock it. mine at 3.7GHz. problem solved.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 11:38:10 AM

Hi :) 

Amd 1100T BE will easily run them....

All the best Brett :) 
m
0
l
July 1, 2012 12:28:43 PM

Best answer selected by ragnoon.
m
0
l
!