1st Build started to be HTPC, but now...

expensivehobbies

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
I was originally looking for an HTPC build. I now have a baby on the way so I started thinking about backing up my 1080p home movies and photos on a RAID 1 set up. My thoughts are purchasing and storing the "hollywood" kids movies and such on this system as well. I have a Samsung 55" smart tv and plan on this rig being in the living room connected to it through my Onkyo AVR. (via hdmi of course) I would guess that eventually this rig would move to an office, continue to act as a PC and a server, and I would add a true htpc low power, sound, smaller size and other HTPC qualities.

I am now looking for a "whole house" answer with server qualities and Raid 1 back up. My goal is to not back myself into a corner through my purchases and be able to add to my build as my needs develop.

Is this the right direction or should I be looking into a NAS system with an htpc set up? Cost differences? This build already seems more than what I'd like to spend ideally, but I think I have great taste....of course, my wife thinks I have expensive taste! Which would be easier day to day use?

I don't think I am a likely candidate for "overclocking" or becoming a big gamer.

Needs -

A good and novice friendly back up management system. Including OS and Media center because I will be playing and learning.

Great video and sound for movies and entertainment.

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14813434

I would eventually be trying tv tuners, possibly DVR in the future

Thank you for any advice!!

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

I'd start with a 1155 socket motherboard and an i-core series processor. When you factor in upgrade-ability this is the way to go. You could get a setup (cpu and mobo) in this series for very little $ and yet be upwardly with the high end cpu's as your need changes. I'd look at the i3-2105/2125 cpu's because of intel's built in graphics (that will play your HD stuff). I'd look to an H67 as my minimum motherboard chipset.