Solved

1st Build-Need Help W/ Fan connectors

Tags:
  • Build
  • Thermal Compound
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 17, 2012 5:09:04 PM

I started this morning, and besides the OCD smoothing of the thermal compound and mucking that up a bit, I think my install has gone fairly smooth. I started off with an external build/test, and that Op tested sat, but now I'm having a little trouble towards the end.

I have a Corsair HX750 PSU and a Corsair 400R case. I've searched everywhere on the net, but I'm still not a 100% sure what to do with this 4-Pin Molex connector that's coming from the front of my 400R case. I'm guessing it's for the fans. I connected this to an adapter w/ 4-pin female end, that looks to go to my motherboard. The problem is, I don't have anywhere to connect it to my ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 motherboard.

I'm also not sure where to connect my rear exhaust fan. Chasis Fan-1?

Thanks for the help!

More about : 1st build fan connectors

Best solution

March 17, 2012 5:15:46 PM

steph- said:
I started this morning, and besides the OCD smoothing of the thermal compound and mucking that up a bit, I think my install has gone fairly smooth. I started off with an external build/test, and that Op tested sat, but now I'm having a little trouble towards the end.

I have a Corsair HX750 PSU and a Corsair 400R case. I've searched everywhere on the net, but I'm still not a 100% sure what to do with this 4-Pin Molex connector that's coming from the front of my 400R case. I'm guessing it's for the fans. I connected this to an adapter w/ 4-pin female end, that looks to go to my motherboard. The problem is, I don't have anywhere to connect it to my ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 motherboard.

I'm also not sure where to connect my rear exhaust fan. Chasis Fan-1?

Thanks for the help!

The 4-pin fan connector is for controlling fan speed. You can connect it to a 3-pin socket on the mobo. The fan would just run all the time. Not a bad idea for a front or rear fan. :) 
March 17, 2012 5:18:20 PM

Which 3-pin socket would you choose? I tried connecting to one of them, but it doesn't seem right. It obvious this connector is not meant for this particular MB. It fits but not perfect.

fan connectors (4-pin CPU_FAN/CPU_FAN_OPT; 4-pin CHA_FAN1; 3-pin CHA_FAN2; 3-pin PWR_FAN1/2);

Those sockets, labeled Power Fan, are 3 pinned. The rest are 4. I'm using one of the 3-pin socket (Cha-Fan2) for my rear fan. So that just leaves Pwr Fan 1/2. Why connect to the 3, as opposed to the 4?
m
l
Related resources
March 17, 2012 5:53:16 PM

steph- said:
Which 3-pin socket would you choose? I tried connecting to one of them, but it doesn't seem right. It obvious this connector is not meant for this particular MB. It fits but not perfect.

fan connectors (4-pin CPU_FAN/CPU_FAN_OPT; 4-pin CHA_FAN1; 3-pin CHA_FAN2; 3-pin PWR_FAN1/2);

Those sockets, labeled Power Fan, are 3 pinned. The rest are 4. I'm using one of the 3-pin socket (Cha-Fan2) for my rear fan. So that just leaves Pwr Fan 1/2. Why connect to the 3, as opposed to the 4?

The 4-pin CPU_FAN/CPU_FAN_OPT is for the cooling fan that came with your cpu (or an add-on one like the h212+ that can have 2 fans). Power fan plugs are not adjustable (they run all the time). The 4-pin might be used for a top exhaust fan (that you may want to adjust). A 4-pin plugged into a 3-pin just won't have the adjustment option. No damage will occur. Just make sure you use the cpu fan plug(s) for the cpu cooler.
m
l
March 17, 2012 5:58:04 PM

I'm having no luck with connecting with the Molex connector. I tested it on all my fans connections and nothing.

I was able to connect the fans directly to the mother board, but one fan cable is too short to connect without an extension.
m
l
March 17, 2012 6:28:56 PM

steph- said:
I'm having no luck with connecting with the Molex connector. I tested it on all my fans connections and nothing.

I was able to connect the fans directly to the mother board, but one fan cable is too short to connect without an extension.

Okay I'm guessing (at this time) that you are only using the 3 fans that came with the case. Are you talking about a regular molex power connector that would connect to your PSU? Your front fan's lights are controlled by a switch so I assume that switch would be connected to your PSU. I hope that's what your talking about.
m
l
March 17, 2012 6:54:41 PM

Just another thought. You wouldn't by chance talking about the usb adapter (3.0 to 2.0) plug are you?
m
l
March 17, 2012 7:50:47 PM

hummm mabe i sound dumb.molex connector plugs into power source.molex connectors from case are usually for power to fan.adapters from 4 pin molex to 3 or four pin fan connectors are usually used so you can plug into mobo.power on and led etc. are usually small connectors connected next to each other on the bottom of mobo. there are cases that used 4 pin molex connectors for power. do they still make them?
m
l
March 17, 2012 10:17:40 PM

Sorry it took me awhile to respond. I decided to push ahead with only 2 fans and a aftermarket CPU cooler for now.

I looked at the video's and the times you noted, but I didn't see anything that resembled my molex. The molex cable is all black, with two active pins entering the 4-pin connector. I'm not sure what's going on this 400R. At the top of the case, above the first optical drive unit, all the cable come out, including a daisy chain for the two fans at the front. They don't end with the molex connector or anything I can plug into that I can tell. The only thing I can think of, is that they somehow are connected where I can't see, via switches possibly.

The molex cable also comes from the front, and I can only imagine, they power the fan daisy chain and the LEDs, (which I don't actually want on-Ever).

I was able to disconnect my fans from this daisy chain and route at least one fan to the MB, but the other fan is way too short to connect anywhere.

I'm either going to have to get an extension for the last fan front that's too short or get a controller to install the two. I actually don't want the LEDs, so it not working isn't a huge biggie. I just need an extension and maybe some more fans to connect. I can't hear anything from the case, so having the fans on all the time is not an issue. From what I can tell from my searching, this is a common conundrum that a lot of people face. I'm thinking either (A) my MB is not compatible or easily compatible, (B) I don't have the right adapters, or (C) I'm too stupid to figure this out.

The build is now complete, at least the preliminaries. Thanks for the help
m
l
March 28, 2012 4:11:53 PM

Just finished my 500r build and I believe the fan setup is similar minus the fan speed controller and side intake fan.

The front fan cables that are daisy chained from corsair should stay connected.
The all black molex connector from the front should be plugged into your PSU and not the mobo.
The 4pin cable attached next to the molex is for power to floppy.

THe fans were made to be turned on when the rig powers up. No connection to the mobo.

Pics here from corsair forum

Hope that helps :hello: 
Great case BTW
m
l
March 28, 2012 4:23:49 PM

tingaling said:
Just finished my 500r build and I believe the fan setup is similar minus the fan speed controller and side intake fan.

The front fan cables that are daisy chained from corsair should stay connected.
The all black molex connector from the front should be plugged into your PSU and not the mobo.
The 4pin cable attached next to the molex is for power to floppy.

THe fans were made to be turned on when the rig powers up. No connection to the mobo.

Pics here from corsair forum

Hope that helps :hello: 
Great case BTW

That's what I thought also - but the floppy connector wouldn't be coming from the front. It would be attached to the PSU. The molex in question is coming from the case.
m
l
March 28, 2012 4:51:45 PM

hmmmmmmm now im confused.... post a pic if you 're still having issues.
m
l
March 28, 2012 5:19:33 PM

tingaling said:
hmmmmmmm now im confused.... post a pic if you 're still having issues.

I've been confused. I wish the OP would post a picture also.
m
l
April 7, 2012 4:18:35 PM

Best answer selected by steph-.
m
l
!