Problem with system locking up

rdonovan1

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2012
Hello,

I'm having a problem with a computer that I have locking up on me. It's got an Asus M2N68-AM Plus motherboard in it, An AMD Phenom 2 processor, and two 2 GB 800 Mhz DDR2 memory chips installed in it. It's also got a Seagate 1 TB hard drive, A Western Digital 750 GB drive as well. I bought the system brand new from Tiger Direct in December 2010. It came with the processor, motherboard, case, the Seagate hard drive, and 1 stick of memory. I added in the 760 GB drive and an extra stick of memory on my own. It's been running great until recently. Now It has a tendency of locking up on me under windows 7. I've replaced the motherboard, tested the memory, replaced 2 SATA cables, and installed a case fan in the front but ir's still doing the same thing. I've also wiped the OS several times and reinstalled and I've run the Western Digital Diag software on the 750 GB drive. I'm using the 750 drive as my primary drive I load the OS on and the WD Diag software says the the drive is fine. I can't figure out as to what could be causing this to occur and could use some suggestions as to what I might try to fix this issue and as to what could be causing it.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Bio's update or bio's settings?

rdonovan1

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2012

Bios has the latest update on it and it won't let me overwrite that update either with the latest or at least it hasn't so far. I have gone into Bios and looked at all the settings, but can't seem to find a problem.

Western Digital has suggested that the reason for the lock up and the times where the system has told me that the 750 GB drive is not detected is because the 750 GB and 320 GB drives aren't compatible with one another. I find this strange because I've used both drives in a previous system before simultaneously with no problem. The previous computer died because the motherboard and processor fried out and it's suspected that the reason for that was because the power supply in that computer was bad. This computer is using a Thermaltake 600 Watt power supply and it's recently been tested by me with a DMM. Based upon the readings that I took with it there doesn't appear to be any problems with the power supply. I could be wrong though as it was tested without a load on it, so the readings that I took don't reflect any kind of load on the power supply.

Both memory chips have been tested with this computer individually using memtest86+. No problems with either memory chip were reported by memtest86+.

This is a rather perplexing problem and so far I have not been able to come up with any valid reason as to why it acts the way it does so far.

I thought that I had the problem solved a few days ago after placing a jumper on the 750 GB drive, but later that night I came home and found a BSOD on the computer. I failed however to write down what it said. If I get that message again. I will write it down and post it. I can post however the voltages that I got from the DMM and what Bios shows for voltages if that would be helpful.

I haven't had any problems with this computer before adding in the 320 GB drive. Seems like this all started to occur after adding in the 320 GB drive.

Both are Western Digital drives. The model # for the 750 is WD7500AAKS-00RBA0. The model # for the 320 is WD3200JS-22PDB0.

The only other hard drive in the system is a SeaGate Barracuda LP 1 TB drive. That drive has been working perfectly since I got it and still does. It's only problem is that it's pretty much full of data now.

The power supply is a ThermaltakeW0121RU 600 Watt. The Memory is Kingston DDR2 800 MHZ, 2 GB per chip. There are two of those in the system.

For the life of me I can't figure out at the moment as to what the problem is or how to solve it.

The processor is an AMD X3 8400 Triple Core processor.