Compaq CQ60 laptop display problems

nichan02301

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hello,

Compaq Presario CQ60-419WM
Serial 2CE9200JBK
Product nv243ua

I've got a Presario CQ60 running Vista 32 bit SP2 and I've had a problem when it boots the screen is black. Usually I could close the lid and wait a minute and when I opened it I would have display. Now when I close the lid the laptop shuts off. When I press the power on button nothing happens. I unplug the AC adapter and press the power button and it boots but still with no display. I've upgraded the bios and the graphics driver but no luck. I am able to use an external monitor in order to use the laptop but of course that defeats the purpose of having a laptop.

I have the following drivers:
NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G Driver Provider, NVIDIA, Driver Date 10/15/2011 Driver Version 8.17.12.8562
Generic PNP Monitor Driver Provider Microsoft, Date 6/21/2006, Driver Version 6.0.6001.18000

SaintMike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I am sorry to tell you this but the problem is the grafix card built onto the board. the card that was used in your model as well as a few others were defective and from the heat the soldering would become undone.
there are only 3 fixes for this.

1. is to take the laptop appart and attempt to re solder the chip which is a 50/50 chance of fixing.
2. is to try the oven method in which you place the board only into a oven an attempt to reheat the soldering but if this does work it is only temporary and dangerous as the metals can release the contaminents into your oven
3. is to by a new motherboard for your laptop

the steps above and disassembly methods can be found on the net but it is very tedious.

this was done by a nvidia manufacturing error and there was a class action suite against them but unfortunatly you missed it
but i myself missed it aswell so rest asured you are not the only one it affected many.

i have one of the same laptops and decided to take it apart myself which took about 2 hours of carefully placing many screws and components on a layout so that i could put it back together but after attempting the resolder i was unsuccesfull
but there are shops that may attempt the repair but it is known that the success rate is minimal however there is a shop somewhere on youtube that said they have a 100 percent success rate but i really dont think it possible maybe a 60 /40 but who knows everyone skill sets are not the same so you may get lucky.

the link below is to the legal class action that had happened

http://nvidiasettlement.com

Link to oven method just scroll down to your laptop for instructions

http://repair4laptop.org/notebook_graphics_card_replacement.html

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
While you are right about the HP/Compaq laptops having a ton of issues with the Nvidia graphics chips, the fact that he gets an external display means the chip is fine. Personally, I would just scrap the laptop, those models are junk and you are wasting money fixing it. I have heat flowed a lot of these laptops, and it's only about a 20% long term success rate.

nichan02301

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I have taken the laptop apart, cleaned any dust and put it back together, it still does not have video on the laptop screen but does on the external monitor. My main concern at this point is why when I close the lid it stays running (which I want it to do) but if I open the lid it shuts down. I then cannot boot it unless I unplug and start only on battery.

nichan02301

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hi

Got an email today asking if I was satisfied with any of the responses and at this point I would say no. None have been helpful to resolve the issue.
I don't want to get rid of the laptop as it works with an external monitor attached and response times are good with 3g of memory. If it's a screen issue I can replace that but my main concern is why when powered on and running fine with the lid closed when I open the lid it shuts down right away and won;t even power on until I unplug the AC charger. I have checked all the power settings so I know those are not the cause.

SimonSays54

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012

Have you checked your power settings? From Control Panel you can set the behavior for closing the lid and pushing the power button. If this is not set to stay on when the lid is closed then you need to change it.

I have the same problem with my LCD screen and your problem is a most likely a bad backlight or bad backlight inverter board. The simplest solution would be to replace the LCD, I have found them for less than $90 online. A replacement backlight inverter board is around half that price. Thae backlight itself is the least expensive part, less than $15 but requires a lot of time and patience to replace.

Hope this helped.