Usb port broke off and black part is still lodged inside usb wire that was conne

natalya88

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
I was charging my phone via usb cable/to a laptop and when I took the cable out I noticed that the black part of the usb (that used to be in the laptop) is now inside my cable!!!! so now I can't use the cable anywhere else =( Please help. This is my work laptop and I'm really freaked that I broke it.

Solution
I do not see an easy way to fix the laptop it self(would have to do some soldering and even then, not sure how easy to get the exact part it will be), but the little black plastic should be removable from the phone charge cable with a pair of small pliers or similar. Failing that, a small flat screw driver will let your pry side(so the short sides not from the front and back) to side to get it out.

The usb port on the computer will most likely work still, but without a good solid connection(I have seem people with this issue on laptops after hitting a flash drive or mouse plug and the port still works, without as much pressure on the contacts).
I do not see an easy way to fix the laptop it self(would have to do some soldering and even then, not sure how easy to get the exact part it will be), but the little black plastic should be removable from the phone charge cable with a pair of small pliers or similar. Failing that, a small flat screw driver will let your pry side(so the short sides not from the front and back) to side to get it out.

The usb port on the computer will most likely work still, but without a good solid connection(I have seem people with this issue on laptops after hitting a flash drive or mouse plug and the port still works, without as much pressure on the contacts).

Solution

Picture?

Add a pic in the red area.

color]

natalya88

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Aha, I actually noticed two little square openings on the side of the cable (the part that goes into the port) and so I pushed the black thingy out through there and it came out nice and clean. For the pins inside port I made sure they're not touching each other so I'm going to leave them alone until I get home and have some better tools to work aside from tweezers and a push pin. Thank you all for your help.