Have the 6970 & three monitors... how to get all three working?

aaron7

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I think I missed something here!

I've been running dual monitors off my MSI 6970 for a while now (both Asus VW246) with one connected to the HDMI port and one using the DVI to HDMI adapter that came with the card.

Since I had an extra DVI port I ordered a third identical monitor only to find out that one of the DVI ports is shared with the HDMI; in other words, you can't run three monitors using the HDMI and both DVI ports.

I know I need an adapter from one of the two (displayport?) connections on the card but I'm confused with this 'active' and 'passive' adapters as I'm not sure which I need.

I've also seen most all the adapters available on Newegg have bad reviews... are there any known good brands?

Thanks!

jk47

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

It would be, but I don't think a single card could handle that. :D

in 3D, those 3 screens may as well be 6 screens. Card has to work six times harder to produce the results from one 2D screen. Graphics would sure have to be turned down lowwwww.

aaron7

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Nah, the 6970 will run Skyrim with Eyefinity pretty easily!

Ok guys, that Sapphire adapter arrived today but I still have the same issue. I can enable or disable all three monitors but I'm allowed only two at a time.

Unfortunately I'm guessing that Sapphire adapter isn't a true active unit as it doesn't have an external power connection.

Does this mean I have to drop $100+ on an adapter? That's lame!

Earnie

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2005
2 monitors using DVI,the 3rd using the dp adapter,then go to ccc,desktop management,creating and arranging desktops,click on the black triangle on 1 of the monitors and click create group.

oh,and all 3 must be plugged into primary card only for crossfire.

aaron7

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Yup, using two DVI and one displayport now. Working fine! Wish I could maximize to each monitor and not across all there but that's ok. Maybe they'll fix that in a later release :)