Have the 6970 & three monitors... how to get all three working?

I think I missed something here!

I've been running dual monitors off my MSI 6970 for a while now (both Asus VW246) with one connected to the HDMI port and one using the DVI to HDMI adapter that came with the card.

Since I had an extra DVI port I ordered a third identical monitor only to find out that one of the DVI ports is shared with the HDMI; in other words, you can't run three monitors using the HDMI and both DVI ports.

I know I need an adapter from one of the two (displayport?) connections on the card but I'm confused with this 'active' and 'passive' adapters as I'm not sure which I need.

I've also seen most all the adapters available on Newegg have bad reviews... are there any known good brands?

Thanks!
16 answers Last reply
More about have 6970 monitors working
  1. You need a active adapter. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999034 the reviews for it are even good, and its only 30 bucks.
  2. You'll have the highest level of success going with the active adapter as recommended by AMD:
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/how-to/Pages/set-up.aspx

I'd go with this 5-egg rated adapter:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999034
  3. Excellent, thanks for the link guys! Now I can finally play Skyrim with Eyefinity :)
  4. Just make sure you get the right kind of active displayport (DP) adapter. There are mini DP and regular DP. My 6970 uses regular DP. Other 6970s use mini-DP.
  5. aaron7 said:
    Excellent, thanks for the link guys! Now I can finally play Skyrim with Eyefinity :)

Would be nice. It's also great in 3D.
  6. ubercake said:
    Would be nice. It's also great in 3D.

It would be, but I don't think a single card could handle that. :D

in 3D, those 3 screens may as well be 6 screens. Card has to work six times harder to produce the results from one 2D screen. Graphics would sure have to be turned down lowwwww.
  7. Nah, the 6970 will run Skyrim with Eyefinity pretty easily!

Ok guys, that Sapphire adapter arrived today but I still have the same issue. I can enable or disable all three monitors but I'm allowed only two at a time.

Unfortunately I'm guessing that Sapphire adapter isn't a true active unit as it doesn't have an external power connection.

Does this mean I have to drop $100+ on an adapter? That's lame!
  8. Since were not there with you I would go and do a youtube search and see how those guys are hooking it up and activating it.
  9. THe problem seems to be split 50/50. Some people say it works fine and they just plugged it in, some people have the exact issue I have and haven't found a solution :(
  10. Yeah, performance wise there should be no problem, and unlike nvidia you dont have to have monitors that support the same native resolution and such.
  11. 2 monitors using DVI,the 3rd using the dp adapter,then go to ccc,desktop management,creating and arranging desktops,click on the black triangle on 1 of the monitors and click create group.

oh,and all 3 must be plugged into primary card only for crossfire.
  12. I can't use DVI, HDMI, and Displayport? Has to be the DVI ports and the Displayport? Sounds promising... now to find DVI cables lol
  13. yeah, cant run all 3, they want it 2- dvi and the displayport. But sides that there more flexable then nvidia, you have to run 3 dvi and they must all be the same resolution, hrtz, etc.
  14. Yup, using two DVI and one displayport now. Working fine! Wish I could maximize to each monitor and not across all there but that's ok. Maybe they'll fix that in a later release :)
  15. well you know you could just make separate windows to fit each monitor.
  16. aaron7 said:
    Yup, using two DVI and one displayport now. Working fine! Wish I could maximize to each monitor and not across all there but that's ok. Maybe they'll fix that in a later release :)

glad its working,there is a way to have 3 diff windows open on the monitors,If i remember correctly,you use hydravision to set that up.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/hydravision.aspx
Ask a new question

Read More

Radeon DVI Monitors HDMI Graphics Product