Sign in with
Your question

Have the 6970 & three monitors... how to get all three working?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2012 3:01:38 PM

I think I missed something here!

I've been running dual monitors off my MSI 6970 for a while now (both Asus VW246) with one connected to the HDMI port and one using the DVI to HDMI adapter that came with the card.

Since I had an extra DVI port I ordered a third identical monitor only to find out that one of the DVI ports is shared with the HDMI; in other words, you can't run three monitors using the HDMI and both DVI ports.

I know I need an adapter from one of the two (displayport?) connections on the card but I'm confused with this 'active' and 'passive' adapters as I'm not sure which I need.

I've also seen most all the adapters available on Newegg have bad reviews... are there any known good brands?

Thanks!

More about : 6970 monitors working

Related resources
January 12, 2012 3:28:44 PM

Excellent, thanks for the link guys! Now I can finally play Skyrim with Eyefinity :) 
a b C Monitor
January 12, 2012 3:38:08 PM

Just make sure you get the right kind of active displayport (DP) adapter. There are mini DP and regular DP. My 6970 uses regular DP. Other 6970s use mini-DP.
a b C Monitor
January 12, 2012 3:47:47 PM

aaron7 said:
Excellent, thanks for the link guys! Now I can finally play Skyrim with Eyefinity :) 

Would be nice. It's also great in 3D.
January 12, 2012 7:10:05 PM

ubercake said:
Would be nice. It's also great in 3D.

It would be, but I don't think a single card could handle that. :D 

in 3D, those 3 screens may as well be 6 screens. Card has to work six times harder to produce the results from one 2D screen. Graphics would sure have to be turned down lowwwww.
January 13, 2012 2:46:52 PM

Nah, the 6970 will run Skyrim with Eyefinity pretty easily!

Ok guys, that Sapphire adapter arrived today but I still have the same issue. I can enable or disable all three monitors but I'm allowed only two at a time.

Unfortunately I'm guessing that Sapphire adapter isn't a true active unit as it doesn't have an external power connection.

Does this mean I have to drop $100+ on an adapter? That's lame!
January 13, 2012 3:02:39 PM

Since were not there with you I would go and do a youtube search and see how those guys are hooking it up and activating it.
January 13, 2012 3:04:35 PM

THe problem seems to be split 50/50. Some people say it works fine and they just plugged it in, some people have the exact issue I have and haven't found a solution :( 
January 13, 2012 5:59:10 PM

Yeah, performance wise there should be no problem, and unlike nvidia you dont have to have monitors that support the same native resolution and such.
January 14, 2012 1:15:03 AM

2 monitors using DVI,the 3rd using the dp adapter,then go to ccc,desktop management,creating and arranging desktops,click on the black triangle on 1 of the monitors and click create group.

oh,and all 3 must be plugged into primary card only for crossfire.
January 14, 2012 1:50:08 AM

I can't use DVI, HDMI, and Displayport? Has to be the DVI ports and the Displayport? Sounds promising... now to find DVI cables lol
January 14, 2012 3:22:08 PM

yeah, cant run all 3, they want it 2- dvi and the displayport. But sides that there more flexable then nvidia, you have to run 3 dvi and they must all be the same resolution, hrtz, etc.
January 14, 2012 4:58:48 PM

Yup, using two DVI and one displayport now. Working fine! Wish I could maximize to each monitor and not across all there but that's ok. Maybe they'll fix that in a later release :) 
January 14, 2012 5:38:28 PM

well you know you could just make separate windows to fit each monitor.
January 14, 2012 10:04:44 PM

aaron7 said:
Yup, using two DVI and one displayport now. Working fine! Wish I could maximize to each monitor and not across all there but that's ok. Maybe they'll fix that in a later release :) 

glad its working,there is a way to have 3 diff windows open on the monitors,If i remember correctly,you use hydravision to set that up.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/hydravision...
!