bmartinTA

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
I was going to order one but they were all sold out. I just so happened to look on MC website and ran a search for 7970 and 1 Gygabyte version popped up @$579. I know thats $30 more than what they are going for but I live right down the street and was still under my 30 days to return my 6950. I had about 15 mins before they closed and I literally walked through the door as they were locking up. Set up my exchange, paid the difference and walked out in full beast mode. I searched their website the day before and nothing came up for 7970 so I was very surprised when I saw that. I looked again today and the search is pulling up nothing again.

I didnt really get to mess around with it because it was getting late. This card is HUGE! It fits in my HAF 912 case with enough room to slide a thin business card between. At first I didnt think it would fit, but after moving some stuff around I squeezed it in. Card seems quieter than the xfx 6950 at idle.

computertechs

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Well, try going on newegg have it for cheaper, And depends where you live you won't have to pay taxs - computertechs

deathengine

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Thats an awful lot of money for a 1GB card. I have seen 3GB 7970s for less than that. You should definitely return it IMHO. I know its exciting to get your hands on one of these but to spend that kind of dough you may as well get what you pay for,.

bmartinTA

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
LOL well I did spell the name wrong so I can see how one would be confused. However, anyone who has done the research on the new line of cards would know that they only come in 3gb versions.

I played Crysis Warhead for about 10mins and was hitting 45-110fps give or take. Thats full maxed out everything @ 1080p. The 6950 would drop into the low 30s and never go above 45-55ish maxed out. Also ran a few laps in iRacing and honestly stopped looking at the FPS because they were well north of 200.

3dmark11 score = P7300 (I dont really understand 3dmark yet) i5 2500k @4.3ghz and 8gb 1600mhz ddr3 ram. All being backed by an OCZ 750w Fatality 1 PSU (not the best I know)

As for 3dmark11. Ive seen scores go all over the place with that program. Everytime I run it I get a message that my PC is slow blah blah. Just need more time with it as I am a new builder.

Also, I tried to run a GTA IV bench and I could not adjust the graphics settings. I got a message saying that I was too low on resources and needed to back down. The settings were all at their lowest levels. Im assuming a driver issue.

I will mess around more with it tonight when I get home and run some other benchmarks. Post what you want me to run and I will see if I can do it. I do have Battlefield 3 and can run a bench with FRAPS if you all want.