GPU and motherboard compatibility...Just double checking,

mubin

Distinguished
Hi, bugdet_gamer, i am using same model as you using, g41m-es2l, and running HD 6770 PCIe2.1.

You dont need any bios update for that card as i dont need. If you overclock cpu than maybe you need.

However, get 6770 and enjoy.

budget_gamer

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Thanks!

My CPU is actually under clocked a bit, running at 2.13ghz rather than 2.9ghz. For some reason i just cant seem to get it to the correct speed. I hope I'm not destroying the CPU because of this. But, thats a completely different issue!

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

It really depends.

Give it a shot, if the card works without BIOS update, then you are good.

If not, update BIOS and then try again.

It really depends on what kind of support the board was released with. If it was released with only support for PCIe 1.x cards, then guess what, you will be doing a BIOS update. If it came with 2.x support already, then you are fine.

Like I said, try it first BEFORE updating BIOS. Never update the BIOS unless you NEED to. Too many bad things can happen when updating BIOS.

Hi :)

The problem I have with LOTS of people who are trying to help on here by suggesting "update the bios" is that its EXTREMELY risky, and if you get it wrong you will be buying a new motherboard :(

Flashing a bios is always a risk, and in my computer shops if someone asks us to flash a bios for them we explain in no uncertain terms that IF it ruins the motherboard it is THEIR financial responsibility.....not ours....

So to all those here who keep saying "update the bios" please remember that advice could cost someone serious money for a new motherboard.... :(

All the best Brett :)

mubin

Distinguished

If your cpu is underclock, than it is damn Gigabyte es2l issue. I had similar issue like you before. My 2.7Ghz cpu underclock to 1.7Ghz. It is just because energy saving es2l mobo decrease cpu multiplier. I bought two es2l for my two cousin and they got the same issue(g41mt-es2l + g31m-es2l). Two different board but es2l series. But g41mt-d3 have no issue like that. I have seen all three board.

Just load optimized default to get 2.9ghz. It will be fine and your cpu will not be destroy.

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

And I am not disagreeing with you.

But the facts are simple. If the BIOS revision currently on his system does NOT have support for 2.x cards, then he MUST update the BIOS. (no way around it)
Yes there is risk. A lot of risk in fact. But if he wants to use that card, and the mobo doesn't support it without a certain BIOS update, then he will never (no many how many times he tries) get it working without a BIOS update.

There was someone who posted today already about a bricked mobo from a BIOS update. It does happen.

So it is up to the OP. Either hope that your mobo BIOS is already up to date enough to support 2.x and maybe have to flash it (only in the case that it isn't supported by your current BIOS revision OR be on the safe side and buy a 1.0 card.

mubin

Distinguished

G41 already supports PCIe2.0 Here is from Gigabyte's reply:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About the issue you mentioned, this motherboard can support PCI-E 2.0 VGA card. We suggest you to contact with your VGA card vendor for further help and see if they have any firmware to your issue.

At last, if you still have any further question to this issue or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact with us. If you have any issue different from original, make sure you issue a new form in order to get proper assistance and it may be response faster as well. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Best Regards,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY

I asked them about performance issue. My mobo had F6 bios(2009/11/04) and rev 1.1. So there is no need to update bios as Gigabyte say and i also used it.

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Then OP should be just fine.

I was merely stating that if the BIOS revision did not already support 2.x, then he would need to update it.

Already knew that the mobo would support it. It was just a matter of whether his BIOS revision could.

budget_gamer

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Thanks for all the replies. I hate flashing BIOS because of the risk BUT, knock on wood, after a good handfull of flashes on other boards, I have never had any issues. that said, I dont want this to be my first, lol.

I read through all the BIOS updates that I have available from gigabyte for my board and non of them affect anything that I use. Mostly wake on lan and some power saving features.

My board also has dual bios (Bios guardian or something like that)so, I can flash with half the risk. If I destroy one bios, I have a back up.

But if I'm good to go as is, I'm not attempting :)

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

+1 to the last sentence. Like I said before and I am sure you know, NEVER update the BIOS unless you absolutely have to (like getting the needed revision so your mobo can use your graphics card) :ange:

good luck with your new card. :hello:

budget_gamer

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Got my card and PSU all on order for a mere $159 incl. 3 day shipping. I cant wait to install Skyrim and actually view it in medium/high detail. Same with Fallout New Vegas!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

nice. Skyrim looks AWESOME. I play it on my 6870 on all high. Looks fantastic. Your 6770 should easily be able to play on all high settings (depending on your screen res and AA settings, obviously)

budget_gamer

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I play windowed at 1280x720.
or 1440x900 if I go full screen.

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Oh yea, your 6770 will absolutely crush that. Easily on all high, possibly max. (estimate-----all systems are different and have their own little quirks)

budget_gamer

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

If it plays it all on high in my window mode I will be more than happy. For some reason I prefer it to full screen.