Sign in with
Your question

Dell display port doesn't work with graphics card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2012 3:55:10 PM

I have a Dell desktop Optiplex 790. I recently started having a problem with dual monitor viewing. The problem is as follows: I have a graphics card (nVidia) as well as a built in display port and VGA output into the motherboard. I'm using a HDMI connection from monitor 1 to my nVidia graphics card and everything works fine. However, if I connect monitor 2 to either the display port (using a cable converter) or VGA output I get "No Signal" on the monitor. If I reboot, then only monitor 2 (the one connected to display port) will turn on, however the coloring scheme would be terrible. It is running something like a 16 bit color Windows scheme and the picture looks very distorted. However, if I boot into safe mode then the normal coloring scheme displays just fine. It seems that it will not run the display port and graphics card simultaneously. This is very strange since this was running just fine for the past 6 months....I also replaced the motherboard but the described above problem still occurs.

I'm running Windows 7 Professional. And it's not a problem with the monitors nor the cables.
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 12, 2012 3:57:43 PM

are they both active in the bios the internal and the pci-e card
m
l
January 12, 2012 4:06:01 PM

Also, do you have all of the needed drivers? You should be able to acquire them from support.dell.com
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2012 4:12:38 PM

I would start with updating your nvidia and intel onboard graphics drivers, then you should check what the settings look like in the nvidia AND intel video control panels.
m
l
January 12, 2012 4:20:48 PM

I have updated the drivers for nVidia. How do I find out what kind of onboard drivers are needed so that I can get the proper ones?
m
l
January 12, 2012 4:28:14 PM

Thanks for the website. Should I choose "Dell Driver" or "AMD Driver"?

m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 12, 2012 4:30:06 PM

for the internal choose the one that applied to your video chipset
m
l
January 12, 2012 4:33:46 PM

Ok, pardon my ignorance....but I'm assuming the internal one would be the Dell-Driver from the pic above?
m
l
January 12, 2012 5:42:12 PM

You have to take a look at your pc under manage devices. Most likely its just the dell driver-but you should make sure by either calling dell support or googling your mobo.
m
l
January 12, 2012 5:53:03 PM

I get an error message saying "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing this software" :( 
m
l
January 12, 2012 5:56:17 PM

..And you received this from the Dell onboard video drivers?
m
l
January 12, 2012 5:57:46 PM

Correct. I also notice that it says A09 on the install package...and I upgraded my BIOS to the latest A10. Not sure if that matters
m
l
January 12, 2012 6:02:24 PM

When I look up the Optiplex 790 on dells website, the onboard video from intel is listed as A07, I really dont think this means anything though.. can you uninstall your current onboard video drivers and then try installing the drivers again?
m
l
a c 85 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 12, 2012 11:06:35 PM

the internal one is a radeon or the intel also latest bios correting bug in previous one
m
l
!