Sign in with
Your question

Critiquing This New Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
March 17, 2012 10:35:40 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: A week or two from now

Budget Range: About what it is now, give or take a little bit.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: Anything that doesn't fit in the tower. :) 

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg

Parts Preferences: Would prefer Intel for the CPU and a Nvidia for the GPU, but MIGHT be open to switching.

Overclocking: Not unless it's needed

SLI or Crossfire: Probably not, maybe at some point in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1680 x 1050 i think

Additional Comments: Wheee tax returns!

So with that being said - I have a wish list of items that I want to get for the new gaming computer (I've been playing all my games on a laptop since 2007, so it IS time for an upgrade). My goal is to get a computer that won't need any upgrading or anything for several years, so I know I'll be spending more than a normal person would, but I hope to make this computer last.

I think that I have everything compatible with all other pieces I have, and have no bottle necking issues, and have enough space (that Heat Sink is HUGE!!) for everything, but that's one reason for this thread because it's been a while since I've done this and need help to make sure I'm not an idiot.

Link: My Newegg Wishlist

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Extra fans for said case: APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan x 3

New Surge Protector: BELKIN BE112230-08 8 Feet 12 Outlets 3940 Joules Surge Protector with Telephone and Coaxial Protection

Graphics Card: EVGA 012-P3-1570-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 ...

Heat Sink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel ...

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ x2

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

DVD Drive: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

More about : critiquing gaming

March 17, 2012 11:14:26 PM

The HAF series from Cooler Master is another option. The HAF 922 BLUE It has all blue LED's so you can drop the extra fan if you like.
Also, a rather large mistake here, you have choosen DDR2 RAM, but all modern boards use DDR3 (including LGA 1155).
Here is a nice selection of high quality G.Skill DDR3 1600 RAM. It comes in Red, Blue, Orange and Black. Also, there is no reason to pay for 4 x 2GB, so this is all 2 x 4GB. That leaves you two open slots to upgrade later.

Don't forget Windows 7 my friend. You'll want 64-bit. Though you may have it, your initial post was not very forthcoming about it, nor your country. I assume it's here in the US, based on
Quote:
Wheee tax returns!

On, a side note, you really don't need an i7, and i5 will be plenty for gaming for a long time. Get an i5 2500K if you will be overclocking, and a i5 2400 if you won't.
m
l
March 17, 2012 11:34:37 PM

Yeah drop the i7 and pick up the i5-2500k and use the savings for an SSD which will provide better performance in load times whether you use it for Intel's Smart Response (SSD Speed with HDD Capacity) or a stand-alone Boot drive.
m
l
!