Sign in with
Your question

WILL 700 WATTS RUN TWO GTX 560 GEFORCE 2GB CARDS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2012 4:38:48 PM

TOM,

PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE. I HAVE A 700 POWER SUPPLY CROSS FIRE UNIT IN MY DESKTOP RIGHT NOW RUNNING A GTX 560 2 GB VIDEO CARD. ALL IS WELL BUT THINKING OF BUYING ANOTHER GTX 560 2GB CARD AND LINK THE TWO TOGETHER. WILL THE 700 POWER RUN THE TWO AND NOT BOGG THE DESKTOP DOWN DURING GAME PLAY? I WAS ADVISED I MIGHT WANT TO UPGRADE TO 1000 WATTS.
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2012 5:05:56 PM

But then how will you know that it's urgent?!?!

Yes- just don't buy a crap psu.
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2012 5:32:56 PM

muirjr said:
TOM,

PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE. I HAVE A 700 POWER SUPPLY CROSS FIRE UNIT IN MY DESKTOP RIGHT NOW RUNNING A GTX 560 2 GB VIDEO CARD. ALL IS WELL BUT THINKING OF BUYING ANOTHER GTX 560 2GB CARD AND LINK THE TWO TOGETHER. WILL THE 700 POWER RUN THE TWO AND NOT BOGG THE DESKTOP DOWN DURING GAME PLAY? I WAS ADVISED I MIGHT WANT TO UPGRADE TO 1000 WATTS.

which psu do you have ?
m
l
January 12, 2012 6:05:36 PM

muirjr said:
TOM,

Yes 700 Watts is enough. Look for a free, lightweight program called PSUcalc, it's pretty accurate.

You can't get just any 700 watt PSU though. You want to get one that is AT LEAST "80 BRONZE" certified because a 700 watt PSU is cutting it close (your setup needs around 650-675, depending on your other components and overclocking, use the PSUcalc program to see what I mean).

The reason to pay for a decent one is because PSUs don't always output what they are rated at. So you want to get a really, REALLY good PSU so it's efficient and puts out the right amount of power without blowing anything up.

At LEAST 80 BRONZE certified, I would shoot for gold + modular though and not skimp out on one of the most important parts of the build.
m
l
a c 112 U Graphics card
a c 83 ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 6:56:06 PM

Each card if you tun furmarks will pull about 220(MAX) each.

On most games you are looking about 165 watts.

So lets say your system uses
440 for the 2 cards
130 for a high end cpu(1366)
You are already at 570 watts. Add the rest of the system placed you maybe 650(this would be if you somehow managed to run EVERYTHING @ 100%, this is at least 100 watts over what you will do in the real world with heavy games) or so. Idle power will be MUCH lower

Now here is when things get interesting. Not ALL of the 700 watts from a power supply is turned into 12 volts. Some cheaper or older units turn a larger portion of that into 5 and 3.3 volts.

That said a new design will turn most of the power into 12 volts and then get the 5 and 3.3 from that 12 volt rail. This leaves high compatibility for devices that may need lots of 5(massive number of usb ports?) or 3.3(they still use this?).

This sounds like a lot to look at does it not?

For instance a name brand like corsair(GS700) will push 672 watts at 12 volts then you hit some Apevia(APEVIA ATX-AQ700W-BK) unit that will deliver 500 watts at 12 volts. Both ARE in fact 700 watt units, just different rail allocation.

As you see there is a variation here. I have even come across a kingwing(KINGWIN LZP-650) model with 648 watts on 12 volt for a 650 watt power supply.

As said above, the newer units while able to deliver 672 watts on its 12 volt rails, will need to give some up for the 5 and 3.3 volt devices.

More expensive power supplies generally deliver more and cleaner power.

Sorry to hurt your head.....
m
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 13, 2012 5:59:47 AM

nukemaster said:
Each card if you tun furmarks will pull about 220(MAX) each.

On most games you are looking about 165 watts.

So lets say your system uses
440 for the 2 cards
130 for a high end cpu(1366)
You are already at 570 watts. Add the rest of the system placed you maybe 650(this would be if you somehow managed to run EVERYTHING @ 100%, this is at least 100 watts over what you will do in the real world with heavy games) or so. Idle power will be MUCH lower

Now here is when things get interesting. Not ALL of the 700 watts from a power supply is turned into 12 volts. Some cheaper or older units turn a larger portion of that into 5 and 3.3 volts.

That said a new design will turn most of the power into 12 volts and then get the 5 and 3.3 from that 12 volt rail. This leaves high compatibility for devices that may need lots of 5(massive number of usb ports?) or 3.3(they still use this?).

This sounds like a lot to look at does it not?

For instance a name brand like corsair(GS700) will push 672 watts at 12 volts then you hit some Apevia(APEVIA ATX-AQ700W-BK) unit that will deliver 500 watts at 12 volts. Both ARE in fact 700 watt units, just different rail allocation.

As you see there is a variation here. I have even come across a kingwing(KINGWIN LZP-650) model with 648 watts on 12 volt for a 650 watt power supply.

As said above, the newer units while able to deliver 672 watts on its 12 volt rails, will need to give some up for the 5 and 3.3 volt devices.

More expensive power supplies generally deliver more and cleaner power.

Sorry to hurt your head.....

I don't agree with you on that mate and neither do Guru 3D.

m
l
!