Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ivy Bridge i5 3570k Temps

Last response: in CPUs
July 1, 2012 7:39:40 PM

Im curious if my cpu temps are to high and need a new cooling solution. Im not overclocked and my ambient temps are around 27c 29c. My system temp while posting this is 34c and my cpu is bouncing around 58c-68c. While gaming its around 70c-78c probably even gets up past 80c.

Looking at my system temps and ambient temps would i need more case fans or do I need to get rid of this stock cpu cooler.
Also when installing my stock intel heatsink I took off the stock thermal compound and used Arctic Cooling Arctic MX-4.

More about : ivy bridge 3570k temps

July 1, 2012 7:54:08 PM

neon neophyte said:
nah, thats fine

Really a lot of people say getting close to 70c isn't good let alone going over 70c
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

July 1, 2012 8:23:03 PM

snipersam15 said:
Really a lot of people say getting close to 70c isn't good let alone going over 70c

I think you should definitely go with an aftermarket heat sink.. those temps are a little to high without even being Overclocked. When I got my 3570K I had the stock heat sink on and I never went past 65C. I ended up getting this heat sink -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... -- Since then on 100% load my Temps are around 55C. I definitely recommend getting that heat sink as it is recommended by most people.
July 1, 2012 8:26:03 PM

snipersam15 said:

I actually personally recommend an after market cooler even though it is under the max safe temperature allowed, i would say it never hurts to have it lower, lower temps = longer life for your hardware.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 8:49:33 PM

snipersam15 said:

your fine since you at stock clocks and voltages

Penley54 said:
I think you should definitely go with an aftermarket heat sink.. those temps are a little to high without even being Overclocked. When I got my 3570K I had the stock heat sink on and I never went past 65C. I ended up getting this heat sink -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... -- Since then on 100% load my Temps are around 55C. I definitely recommend getting that heat sink as it is recommended by most people.

thats a really bad cooler and you can get better for a little more. i mean A LOT better for a lot more. hell other entry level cooling solutions are close to 30 degrees cooler then that on a SB system so prolly even better on a IB system.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 1, 2012 8:54:02 PM

cbrunnem said:
thats a really bad cooler and you can get better for a little more. i mean A LOT better for a lot more. hell other entry level cooling solutions are close to 30 degrees cooler then that on a SB system so prolly even better on a IB system.

What are you on about? A 212+ isn't perfect, but it's fine for stock and small OC's, even with an Ivy CPU. My 212 Evo is amazing. High 50's/low 60's stress testing at 4.5 on my 2500K sounds pretty damn good to me. A 212 Evo is slightly better than the 212+ and I'm running it in push/pull, but still. NOWHERE CLOSE to really bad, certainly considering its cost.
m
l
July 1, 2012 8:55:36 PM

@ the Op tell us if you would consider buying an aftermarket cooler and what would be your budget, then we could give you the best advice on what we recommend at that price range :) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 9:23:38 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
What are you on about? A 212+ isn't perfect, but it's fine for stock and small OC's, even with an Ivy CPU. My 212 Evo is amazing. High 50's/low 60's stress testing at 4.5 on my 2500K sounds pretty damn good to me. A 212 Evo is slightly better than the 212+ and I'm running it in push/pull, but still. NOWHERE CLOSE to really bad, certainly considering its cost.

well first of all this cpu is NOT a 2500k. it is a different beast the pumps out loads of heat. second its on the low end of the cooler list so that would quantify it as bad. not compare it against stock and its good.

but in no way is a 212+ amazing if you have ever had really cooling. ive had it and many other coolers in between what i have now and everyone i had after it proved to me more and more that it wasnt worth the 35 i paid for it.

m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 1, 2012 9:28:39 PM

cbrunnem said:
well first of all this cpu is NOT a 2500k. it is a different beast the pumps out loads of heat. second its on the low end of the cooler list so that would quantify it as bad. not compare it against stock and its good.

but in no way is a 212+ amazing if you have ever had really cooling. ive had it and many other coolers in between what i have now and everyone i had after it proved to me more and more that it wasnt worth the 35 i paid for it.

OK, whatever. Think what you want. You had a bad experience while the rest of us have had great experiences. Bad luck? I guess so. I recommend a 212 Evo for the OP though (not a 212+. I agree that it lacks a bit). Name one in the Evo's price range that's significantly better (5C or more).

Yes a 212+/Evo isn't great for OC'ing past 4.3 or so on Ivy, but really, no air coolers besides the NH-D14, Silver Arrow, and TPC 812 are. Your W/C setup would be perfect for an Ivy OC actually, but we're not even talking about OC'ing here, just running stock. The 212 Evo will do that perfectly fine.
m
l
July 1, 2012 9:30:16 PM

cbrunnem said:

I never said it was amazing, I just meant that it would do good for him as it is only $20 (with mail-in rebate). And for him not overclocking or anything the Cooler will do just fine.. yes there are many other Coolers out there that are way better than the hyper 212+ but for $20 you cant go wrong.. and when on stock clocks on Ivy Bridge the heat isn't that bad, you only get a lot of heat when Overclocking in the higher Clocks (4.5Ghz+) but that is still totally dependent on your own CPU.
m
l
July 1, 2012 9:45:26 PM

Im willing to spend $30-$40 Ive looked into the evo 212 as well, but if there's an alternative that is much better for not much more Id love to know other options.
m
l
July 1, 2012 9:50:10 PM

snipersam15 said:
Im willing to spend $30-$40 Ive looked into the evo 212 as well, but if there's an alternative that is much better for not much more Id love to know other options.

I would go with the Evo 212 or maybe even this -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... -- but the reviews aren't so good for the Hyper N 520. Both are in your Price Range.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 9:53:35 PM

Evo is good in that price range.
-Bruce
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
July 1, 2012 9:55:50 PM

cbrunnem said:

NO it does not 'pump out a lot of heat' it pumps out 77W of heat, less than a 2500K. It does however get hot, i.e. the heat can't flow away and cause temp rises. Heat and temperature are two different things. Most normal 'large' air cooler can cope with >150W of heat energy. the intel stock cooler is closer to 80W I suspect, there was even a drop in size from the 65nm E6600 to the 45nm Q9550.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 10:00:56 PM

^ true but temp differential will get the most heat out. That being said, other than water cooling, and for mild OC, the EVO will suit the OP budget/purpose.
-Bruce
Edit: Why did Intel not keep the same SB heat spreader - paste is so bargain basement.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 10:03:31 PM

13thmonkey said:
NO it does not 'pump out a lot of heat' it pumps out 77W of heat, less than a 2500K. It does however get hot, i.e. the heat can't flow away and cause temp rises. Heat and temperature are two different things. Most normal 'large' air cooler can cope with >150W of heat energy. the intel stock cooler is closer to 80W I suspect, there was even a drop in size from the 65nm E6600 to the 45nm Q9550.

what makes something hot? heat. while i will agree that it pumps less "heat" then SB it cant dissapate it well and with almost 30c* ambient temps thats a big issue as well. thats 10*c above a normal ambient.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 1, 2012 10:10:25 PM

cbrunnem said:
what makes something hot? heat. while i will agree that it pumps less "heat" then SB it cant dissapate it well and with almost 30c* ambient temps thats a big issue as well. thats 10*c above a normal ambient.

You never answered my question. What cooler in the same price range as a 212 Evo is significantly better? By significantly, I mean 5C cooler or more.

Looks pretty good to me http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=265...
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 10:32:54 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
You never answered my question. What cooler in the same price range as a 212 Evo is significantly better? By significantly, I mean 5C cooler or more.

Looks pretty good to me http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=265...

dont attack your own intelligence like that. that site is notoriously in accurate, for instance from the very link you posted it shows the Silver Arrow as worse then the 212+...... nope not possible.
m
l
July 1, 2012 10:33:54 PM

Best answer selected by snipersam15.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 1, 2012 10:36:23 PM

It's better, but not THAT much better (14.3C delta compared to 15.9C delta for the 212 Evo in Frostytech's review). Besides, if I'm gonna pay more than what a Evo costs, I'm going all the way to the top end. Or going the W/C route.

And yes, I know that Frostytech's reviews are screwy, but it drives the point home that the 212 Evo is adequate. Either get a 212 Evo, or go all the way to the top end. Even YOU can't argue that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 10:48:16 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
It's better, but not THAT much better (14.3C delta compared to 15.9C delta for the 212 Evo in Frostytech's review). Besides, if I'm gonna pay more than what a Evo costs, I'm going all the way to the top end. Or going the W/C route.

And yes, I know that Frostytech's reviews are screwy, but it drives the point home that the 212 Evo is adequate. Either get a 212 Evo, or go all the way to the top end. Even YOU can't argue that.

THE SILVER ARROW IS LISTED BEHIND THE 212+. the site proves nothing if you are saying that is even remotely possible.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 1, 2012 10:52:59 PM

cbrunnem said:
THE SILVER ARROW IS LISTED BEHIND THE 212+. the site proves nothing if you are saying that is even remotely possible.

I didn't say that the results should be taken as gospel and the end-all be-all (they're obviously odd and don't make much sense), just that it shows that a 212+/Evo is a decent performer for its price. You make it sound like the 212+/Evo is the worst aftermarket cooler you can buy, when it absolutely isn't.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 1, 2012 10:57:59 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I didn't say that the results should be taken as gospel and the end-all be-all (they're obviously odd and don't make much sense), just that it shows that a 212+/Evo is a decent performer for its price. You make it sound like the 212+/Evo is the worst aftermarket cooler you can buy, when it absolutely isn't.

when for 40 bucks more you can get a cooler the 25*c cooler id say its not good. thats what the silver arrow would net you.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 1, 2012 11:04:03 PM

cbrunnem said:
when for 40 bucks more you can get a cooler the 25*c cooler id say its not good. thats what the silver arrow would net you.

That's exactly what I mean by "either get a 212 Evo, or go all the way to the top end"... There's no point in going in between, IMO.
m
l
October 11, 2012 3:49:11 AM

snipersam15 said:
Im curious if my cpu temps are to high and need a new cooling solution. Im not overclocked and my ambient temps are around 27c 29c. My system temp while posting this is 34c and my cpu is bouncing around 58c-68c. While gaming its around 70c-78c probably even gets up past 80c.

Looking at my system temps and ambient temps would i need more case fans or do I need to get rid of this stock cpu cooler.
Also when installing my stock intel heatsink I took off the stock thermal compound and used Arctic Cooling Arctic MX-4.

i personaly would get the hyper N520 in push pull.my phenom ii x4 @3.8ghz idles at 20 degrees celcius. soon im going to get this cpu so i think im good.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2012 1:24:29 AM

corvetteguy1994 said:
i personaly would get the hyper N520 in push pull.my phenom ii x4 @3.8ghz idles at 20 degrees celcius. soon im going to get this cpu so i think im good.

your room must be at least 15*c then???
m
l
October 12, 2012 3:02:54 AM

cbrunnem said:
your room must be at least 15*c then???
i would say my room temp varies from 70 degress F to 76 degrees F right now its at 23 Celsius
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
October 12, 2012 3:17:37 AM

corvetteguy1994 said:
i would say my room temp varies from 70 degress F to 76 degrees F right now its at 23 Celsius

And that's his point. Your CPU will never have temps that are below ambient (or even within 5C, really, unless you're using sub-ambient cooling). It's completely impossible.

I'd say your true idle temp is 30-35C. That makes a lot more sense, and is actually something possible.
m
l
October 12, 2012 4:25:04 AM

[/quote][/spoiler][/spoiler]
DJDeCiBeL said:
And that's his point. Your CPU will never have temps that are below ambient (or even within 5C, really, unless you're using sub-ambient cooling). It's completely impossible.

I'd say your true idle temp is 30-35C. That makes a lot more sense, and is actually something possible.
sub ambient :lol:  you mean next to my ac unit then yuus. but thats where my computer stays but before i moved it there i still would idle at 28-32C i would put up a screenshot but i cant figure out how to post it
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
October 12, 2012 4:48:04 AM

corvetteguy1994 said:
you mean next to my ac unit then yuus.

Well, that's one way to do it, lol.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2012 4:59:03 AM

corvetteguy1994 said:
sub ambient :lol:  you mean next to my ac unit then yuus. but thats where my computer stays but before i moved it there i still would idle at 28-32C i would put up a screenshot but i cant figure out how to post it
[/quote][/spoiler][/spoiler]

it advisable not to tell HALF TRUTHS to avoid situations like this.
m
l
October 12, 2012 6:06:36 AM

cbrunnem said:
it advisable not to tell HALF TRUTHS to avoid situations like this.

sorry.....but do you thinki can overclock 3570k with my cooler n520 to 4ghz with good temps?
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2012 1:26:21 PM

corvetteguy1994 said:
sorry.....but do you thinki can overclock 3570k with my cooler n520 to 4ghz with good temps?

absolutely. you could probably do that with the stock cooler. you should have no problems getting at least 4.4ghz. just make sure your temps are below 80-85*c MAX and preferable under 65-70*c
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2012 4:35:27 PM

ya, 70 degrees is fine on ivybridge. some people here seem to think its too warm but i don't think they realize that ivybridge was "designed to run warm."
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2012 5:45:38 PM

neon neophyte said:
ya, 70 degrees is fine on ivybridge. some people here seem to think its too warm but i don't think they realize that ivybridge was "designed to run warm."

Typically as dies get smaller they can handle less voktage and heat though so in theory ivy can handle less then sandy and less then first gens. At least from what ive seen on here
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2012 8:18:18 PM

cbrunnem said:
Typically as dies get smaller they can handle less voktage and heat though so in theory ivy can handle less then sandy and less then first gens. At least from what ive seen on here

well you've seen wrong, ivy handles higher temps than sandy. sandy handled higher temps than 45nm, which handled higher temps than 65 nm.
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 12, 2012 9:35:54 PM

neon neophyte said:
well you've seen wrong, ivy handles higher temps than sandy. sandy handled higher temps than 45nm, which handled higher temps than 65 nm.

electromigration is easier at lower die sizes and higher temps enables electromigration. that is the theory
m
l
!