Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PSU making very weird noises when gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 12, 2012 5:00:38 PM

Hello, I just bought a bundle from Newegg and it came with a coolermaster 550w PSU, gigabyte gtx 560 and its very quiet however when i start gaming it makes very weird high pitched noises which changes as the scenery or graphics change in game. The sound comes from the PSU however i had gotten it RMA'd already and the sound continues. is there a problem with my Graphics card?
January 12, 2012 5:25:28 PM

Kpxkimchi92 said:
Hello, I just bought a bundle from Newegg and it came with a coolermaster 550w PSU, gigabyte gtx 560 and its very quiet however when i start gaming it makes very weird high pitched noises which changes as the scenery or graphics change in game. The sound comes from the PSU however i had gotten it RMA'd already and the sound continues. is there a problem with my Graphics card?


did you make sure it was coming from your PSU? what kinda noise is it, can you record it in any ways? if so i would like to ear it

if after an RMA it still continues then its not your PSU, if the noise is coming from there it might be normal, but if you did not plug your graphics card on the PSU it will make a weird noise.... the graphics card
m
0
l
January 12, 2012 5:29:49 PM

Yes its most definately coming from the PSU. Its sort of a high pitch whine kind of electric. I will record it when i get home right now i am in class. It comes right from the PSU and i thought maybe it was normal but it go to the point while playing Starwars ToR that i could hear it through my headphones. When i look around in game the sound changes with what i am looking at. is 550w coolermaster enough to run that graphics card? im thinking perhaps the power supply doesnt have enough wattage
m
0
l
Related resources
January 12, 2012 7:07:03 PM

Kpxkimchi92 said:
Yes its most definately coming from the PSU. Its sort of a high pitch whine kind of electric. I will record it when i get home right now i am in class. It comes right from the PSU and i thought maybe it was normal but it go to the point while playing Starwars ToR that i could hear it through my headphones. When i look around in game the sound changes with what i am looking at. is 550w coolermaster enough to run that graphics card? im thinking perhaps the power supply doesnt have enough wattage


-whats the model of the PSU?
-does the fan turn
-this PSU sounds way enough for a 560, but do you have 60 fans on your case?(other things)

this still sounds ALLOT like a non-plug PSU, make sure the extra power cable is plugged in the side......
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2012 7:24:06 PM

Which CM power supply?

The GX is not too bad. The Extreme Power Plus is close to junk.
m
0
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 12, 2012 7:36:29 PM

The Newegg combos almost universally come with junk PSUs. The CM you got is no exception: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX... . Before it kills your system, please replace it. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. Five hundred to 550W will be enough for your system.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 12, 2012 7:39:18 PM

Onus said:
The Newegg combos almost universally come with junk PSUs. The CM you got is no exception: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX... . Before it kills your system, please replace it. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. Five hundred to 550W will be enough for your system.

That's a new one :lol: 
m
0
l
January 12, 2012 8:59:49 PM

Onus said:
The Newegg combos almost universally come with junk PSUs. The CM you got is no exception: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Cooler-Master-eX... . Before it kills your system, please replace it. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and some level of 80+ certification for efficiency. Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, XFX, and Enermax/LEPA are among the better brands. Five hundred to 550W will be enough for your system.


80+ means nothing other then power efficiency, so in other words i could get a psu with 50% power efficiency and it could be better then a 80+
but 80+ does mean the the company knows how to do psu, but it does not mean that they want to make them good....

for example, antec power supply's are probably one of the power supply that we RMA the most over here in my shop, but it does not mean that if you live the other side of the world, the ones we sale the most are mostly Acepower, we almost never got one client to come back cuss something was not working, not even 80+ certified
m
0
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 12, 2012 10:14:02 PM

80+ certification means that, although at an unrealistically low temperature, the unit was able to output 100% of what's on its label, for at least half an hour, AND do it efficiently (i.e. it wasn't right on the edge). That immediately weeds out the Diabloteks, Apevias, and other PSU-shaped objects from rational consideration.
m
0
l
January 13, 2012 3:28:43 AM

its the coolermaster 550w extreme so what can i do to fix it??? peopel tell me its more than enough for my system. i have 3 case fans that i installed but thats it. Is it possibly a problem from the graphics card?.. Anything would help please i'd liek to be able to game without this horrible noise..
m
0
l
January 13, 2012 4:05:17 AM

im thinking a new PSU, but first try removing that graphics card and make a CPU beach mark(Prime95 or something like that) if your system has on board video
m
0
l
January 13, 2012 5:33:01 AM

already RMA'd psu. so think i need to get one with more wattage? why owuld this be happening though it came as part of the new egg bundle...
m
0
l
a c 191 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
January 13, 2012 9:02:12 AM

Like I said, when I've looked at the Newegg combos, most of them come with junk PSUs (although I think I've seen some Corsairs on some high-end builds).
A quality 500W PSU would be sufficient for your system. I'd get something from Seasonic or Antec (like an Earthwatts) and be done with it.
m
0
l
January 13, 2012 4:09:22 PM

So for sure its the PSU and not my GPU correct? i've heard someone say my GPU wiring could be faulty
m
0
l
January 13, 2012 4:17:24 PM

I used to have this same problem, but with my GPU...

It's most likely due to the coil(s) inside your PSU, which vibrates under load, and creates a loud squeal/whine. It's best to pull out the PSU now before any further damage is done (to the PSU itself, and possibly other components).
m
0
l
January 13, 2012 4:20:54 PM

Corsair CX600 is also a pretty good PSU that'll power your system with no sweat.
m
0
l
!