[New Build] $950 Gaming Build (Linux compatible?)

zeckor

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Within this week or the next hopefully

Budget Range: $950 After Shipping/GST/HST (About 700-800ish before all of that for easier reference)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Internet, Movies

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.CA (Canadian Please!)

Parts Preferences: Intel Processor, Radeon HD graphics card.

Overclocking: Maby, but not likely

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: *Unknown

Additional Comments: For the monitor, the price can be separate from my budget range as I plan on getting it a bit after I purchase the monitor, also mostly what I was wondering about was is all of this linux compatible? If not what are some good suggestions for linux compatible things. Or if you guys have any other suggestions for parts that are better than what are in the wish list and being within the budget.

I plan on (hopefully) running most games (like sc2/bf3) on relatively high settings If I can.

Parts That I Was Thinking About:
List Of The Parts

Nim Chimpsky

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
You can run Linux on pretty much anything.

For just $10 more, you can get a much better case from a more reliable brand, like this one, or this one.

Get this power supply instead. It's important to get one from a reliable brand so it doesn't fail a few months later.

This motherboard is compatible with the processor you want; don't get an LGA 1156 motherboard and expect it to fit.

The 2550K is basically the same as the processor you chose, but faster and without the IGP that you wouldn't use.

You can save $10 on the graphics card.

This RAM kit is newer and $2 cheaper.

Good choice of hard drive.

Same speed DVD burner for $4 less.

Total: $841.

zeckor

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
How well do you think that set up will be able to run games like BF3 and SC2?
And, is the power supply you suggested good enough for the graphics card?

Other wise thanks! :)

Nim Chimpsky

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

This review indicates that the 7770 produces playable frame rates in BF3 even at 1920x1080 with high details and 16x AF. This article shows similar results for SC2. It just barely makes it there, though, and seems to do better at 1680x1050. If you want something more powerful and you aren't set on AMD, you might consider this overclocked GTX 570, but it is more expensive and you will need at least a 750W PSU.
The power supply will be fine. If you were going to Crossfire, on the other hand, I would recommend a 600W or greater PSU.

You're welcome! :)

zeckor

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

I was just looking at the motherboard and I noticed it has PCI express 2.0 x16, and on the graphics card it says Interface: PCI Express 3.0 x16. I don't know much about pc tech but, doesn't that mean my graphics card wont work? :s (If not can you recommend one that would? And make sure its compatible with all the processor, the current one is but in case it doesn't work with the graphics card)

Thanks again :3

(Also radeon hd 6850, way better than 7770? and costs the same/less? :eek: ---- GTX 570 a bit to much for me atm, perhaps later when I upgrade it ;)

Nim Chimpsky

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

PCIe 3.0 is backwards-compatible, so it would work, but here's a good board with PCIe 3.0. Either way, the 7770 isn't fast enough for PCIe 2.0 vs 3.0 to matter, and you need Sandy Bridge-E or Ivy Bridge to open up PCIe 3.0. This motherboardboard looks good too.

The 6850 is faster, but less efficient, so it will get hotter and noisier. Then again, maybe that doesn't matter. You could even get the Radeon HD 6870 for not much more.

TRENDING THREADS