NOT POSTING!!! What can it be?

slayinsoulja

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
I just came home from work and went to turn on my computer and all the lights came on, but it didn't post. I tried unplugging the power supply, reconnecting the monitor to make sure it's connected right but got nothing. I don't have a spare computer where I can test the parts individually to see what the problem is. Unfortunately, this is my first build. I've had the computer for over a year now and it has worked flawlessly until now. Any ideas what the problem might be?

System Specs:

Asus Rampage III Mobo
Intel i7 950 3.0 ghz (OC 3.7 ghz)
G.SKILL 12GB DDR3 1600
nVIDIA GTX 590 Classified Edition
Western Digital 1TB 7200 RPM HD
Corsair 750W PSU
Windows 7 64-bit

Infikiran

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
I would unplug it from the wall and remove the CMOS battery for ten seconds and put it back. This will reset bios settings to default (same as setting the CMOS jumper, but this is easier IMO). Plug the computer back in and test it. If it still doesn't work start removing RAM modules, one at a time, and trying to power on the computer. Last thing to try is of you have a spare video card to stick in it. If none of the above works you most likely have a fried motherboard.

Infikiran

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
A bad hard drive won't keep your computer from posting. It will just cause a 'disk boot failure' error. If you tried the above things and still have no luck, then you're motherboard is most likely gone unfortunately. Just out of curiosity, was your computer on during a storm? It is possible that lightening might have hit it.

If your motherboard is still under warranty I would try to RMA it.

TRENDING THREADS