Sign in with
Your question

Bent processor pins?

Last response: in Components
July 1, 2012 9:20:56 PM

Hey, just the other day I finished my build, and took my processor out of my old mobo. I took it out, and I bent a few pins. Now it wont fit in the new mobo, and I dont know if I should order another one, or try and fix it? It is a amd phenom X4 965 BTW. Thanks

More about : bent processor pins

July 2, 2012 2:39:56 AM

Can't you carefully straighten the bent pins? That would certainly be less expensive than a new processor.
m
l
July 2, 2012 2:49:27 AM

I've done this before and fixed the pins. Do you know roughly how many pins? Get some needle nose pliers and I also recommend an anti static wrist band.
m
l
Related resources
July 2, 2012 2:53:09 AM

I've done it before using a small flat head screwdriver... definitely worth trying to fix a $130 chip.
m
l
July 2, 2012 4:48:11 AM

You can also use a mechanical pencil if you can get it over the pin end. It works very well.
m
l
February 4, 2014 9:20:16 PM

I used a toothpick on my fx4100, still works like new to my surprise
m
l
February 5, 2014 7:55:36 AM

ryanrhino24 said:
Hey, just the other day I finished my build, and took my processor out of my old mobo. I took it out, and I bent a few pins. Now it wont fit in the new mobo, and I dont know if I should order another one, or try and fix it? It is a amd phenom X4 965 BTW. Thanks

Just be patient
Try finding something like a credit etc that will slide down the rows between the pins
Straighten them slowly it will work
Good luck
m
l
February 13, 2014 5:47:49 PM

Two razor blades is the best I've found, put one on either side and gently squeeze together, then do same a a right angle, carry a package of them around in my toolbag for just this purpose :) 
m
l
February 13, 2014 8:16:26 PM

maybe your old processor have old socket and your new mobo has newer socket and your procesor wont fit because of that?
m
l
!