Cell phone as laptop modem? How good? Easy to install??

Last response: in Technologies
a b D Laptop
November 6, 2004 1:06:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.tech (More info?)

Motorola cell phone as laptop modem? How good?

Fido has unsuccessfully tried to sell me a Sony Ericsson Z-600 which
"should work" (according to the salesrep, ha, ha, ha) but ended up
wasting 1/2 a day of my time.

According to Fido, the only other cel phone they have that will allow
on-the-road Internet surfing is Motorola (don't have model)
GPRS-service phone.

Anybody with first-hand experience, and if so, how well does this
work?

Should I just get a Yagi or Cantenna Wi-Fi adapter for the laptop
instead of using a celphone?

My laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition and is still new.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 12, 2004 1:46:21 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.tech (More info?)

I've used a Motorola MPx200 via ATT Wireless GPRS and never had an
issue with it. Depending on the model of motorola phone they're
referring to, you'll either be linking it to your laptop via usb cable
or via bluetooth. I linked my past mpx200 via usb cable and it always
worked fine.
Before you do all this, make sure that you are subscribed to a
unlimited data plan that allowes you to tether data through your
laptop, otherwise you may end up with outrageous data costs. Also ask
them if they would allow you to roam data on other GPRS providers.

> Motorola cell phone as laptop modem? How good?
>
> Fido has unsuccessfully tried to sell me a Sony Ericsson Z-600 which
> "should work" (according to the salesrep, ha, ha, ha) but ended up
> wasting 1/2 a day of my time.
>
> According to Fido, the only other cel phone they have that will allow
> on-the-road Internet surfing is Motorola (don't have model)
> GPRS-service phone.
>
> Anybody with first-hand experience, and if so, how well does this
> work?
>
> Should I just get a Yagi or Cantenna Wi-Fi adapter for the laptop
> instead of using a celphone?
>
> My laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition and is still new.
May 14, 2009 4:00:28 PM

Quote:
Archived from groups: alt.cellular.tech (More info?)

I've used a Motorola MPx200 via ATT Wireless GPRS and never had an
issue with it. Depending on the model of motorola phone they're
referring to, you'll either be linking it to your laptop via usb cable
or via bluetooth. I linked my past mpx200 via usb cable and it always
worked fine.
Before you do all this, make sure that you are subscribed to a
unlimited data plan that allowes you to tether data through your
laptop, otherwise you may end up with outrageous data costs. Also ask
them if they would allow you to roam data on other GPRS providers.

> Motorola cell phone as laptop modem? How good?
>
> Fido has unsuccessfully tried to sell me a Sony Ericsson Z-600 which
> "should work" (according to the salesrep, ha, ha, ha) but ended up
> wasting 1/2 a day of my time.
>
> According to Fido, the only other cel phone they have that will allow
> on-the-road Internet surfing is Motorola (don't have model)
> GPRS-service phone.
>
> Anybody with first-hand experience, and if so, how well does this
> work?
>
> Should I just get a Yagi or Cantenna Wi-Fi adapter for the laptop
> instead of using a celphone?
>
> My laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition and is still new.

i'm now using my nokia phone as modem.. it is fast enough and is free of charge... i'm using the ultrasurf 9.4 for having the internet connection.
!