Sign in with
Your question

Heavy Duty Gaming workstation/servers. $25k-50k

Last response: in Systems
March 18, 2012 4:55:54 AM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: (2-3 Weeks)

Budget Range: ( $25k-50k USD) Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Ability to handle cloud gaming. Running Hundreds of copies of a game on medium to high setting at around 720p to 1080p. Looking to run games like Cod MW3, Assassins Creed, ETC ETC.)

Parts Not Required: (keyboards,mouse, monitor) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (Newegg.com, pssc labs, any workstation maker)

Parts Preferences: Intel processor and Nvidia GPU. SSD

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: (1920x1080)

Additional Comments: These computers have to be top of the line with 99% up time and stability. I want to give players an experience where they would be games at Pc standers around 40 fps or so on med high settings. We also need recommendations for servers to host multi player on that can server at capacity 2,000 connections hundreds on connections within the lobbies themselves i.e choose a region, join a game.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
March 18, 2012 5:23:10 AM

If you want to be the next onlive and you need to ask this question here (or anywhere really) I think you have much much bigger issues than picking out server hardware. Where is your system architect?
m
l
March 18, 2012 8:39:48 AM

Don't think many will be able to help with a 50k budget.
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2012 1:15:42 PM

per computer?
m
l
March 18, 2012 1:31:50 PM

uhyeti said:

Approximate Purchase Date: (2-3 Weeks)

Budget Range: ( $25k-50k USD) Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Ability to handle cloud gaming. Running Hundreds of copies of a game on medium to high setting at around 720p to 1080p. Looking to run games like Cod MW3, Assassins Creed, ETC ETC.)

Parts Not Required: (keyboards,mouse, monitor) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (Newegg.com, pssc labs, any workstation maker)

Parts Preferences: Intel processor and Nvidia GPU. SSD

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: (1920x1080)

Additional Comments: These computers have to be top of the line with 99% up time and stability. I want to give players an experience where they would be games at Pc standers around 40 fps or so on med high settings. We also need recommendations for servers to host multi player on that can server at capacity 2,000 connections hundreds on connections within the lobbies themselves i.e choose a region, join a game.

how many computers do you want?
m
l
March 18, 2012 2:35:54 PM

how many computors do you want and do you also need os or not :D 

m
l
March 18, 2012 3:22:00 PM

Its not a quantity thing but a quality and performance. I'm expecting around 20k subscribers to sign up and be using the service simultaneously.
m
l
March 18, 2012 4:08:07 PM

I need something that can support thousand of players simultaneously doesn't necessarily have to be one computer.
m
l
March 18, 2012 4:11:17 PM

I need them prebuilt and managed by the manufacturer. I just need some suggestions for the servers so I know what would perform best seeing as what i need the solution to do is not much used.
m
l
March 18, 2012 4:23:36 PM

I still dont understand what are you trying to build

do you want one server or you want 50 pcs or something just clarify it please :D 
m
l
March 18, 2012 4:24:10 PM

but what would I need? Playing new games like COD, BF, and new releases at 720p40-60 and it would not be just one instance of the game but hundreds.
m
l
March 18, 2012 4:27:09 PM

Why would you want hundred instance of game running and why 720 p at 40-60 fps dont understand just clarify and you might get the answer you are ypu looking fir :D 
m
l
March 18, 2012 4:31:26 PM

Ok it would be like this. The user connects to a server and they want to play a game.So when this happens I need a server that can handle multiple people playing a game at around 720p40-60 fps. It doesn't matter if its one huge expensive server or multiple servers, but the one that would perform the absolute best. So it would be best if one computer that costs more than 50k or multiple servers that can run. It just needs to be able to server multiple players with no dip in performance.
m
l
March 18, 2012 4:53:27 PM

720p40-60 fps because its a decent standard for console and pc gamers.
m
l
March 18, 2012 4:54:21 PM

uhyeti said:
Ok it would be like this. The user connects to a server and they want to play a game.So when this happens I need a server that can handle multiple people playing a game at around 720p40-60 fps. It doesn't matter if its one huge expensive server or multiple servers, but the one that would perform the absolute best. So it would be best if one computer that costs more than 50k or multiple servers that can run. It just needs to be able to server multiple players with no dip in performance.

I don't think you understand what a server does exactly. What you want is for people to play games that aren't yours from your server?
m
l
March 18, 2012 5:39:44 PM

I see two initial problems here:

1. You don't speak/write English well enough to tell us exactly what you are trying to do here.
2. You are asking this question on a THG forum, made up of PC gamers and enthusiasts, not server architects.

Obviously, there is a huge difference between a server that hosts a multi-player game and one that runs multiple instances of a single-player game. The latter is not possible, given the titles you mention. You can't turn turn a game designed to run on a single PC into a server app for thousands of people. :ouch: 

Regardless, you need a business plan, and then you need to talk to companies that provide such servers about that plan.
m
l
March 18, 2012 5:40:32 PM

It would be just like video streaming but with controller input.
m
l
March 18, 2012 6:18:13 PM

uhyeti said:
It would be just like video streaming but with controller input.

Yeap. The server would receive keyboard and mouse (joystick?) inputs from the user's PC, generate the next frame to display, send that frame to the user's PC over the controller, and the user's PC would receive and display that frame. And this would all happen at a minimum of 40FPS for thousands of users at once.

Will your servers have thousands of GPUs that offer each user hardware accelerated graphics?
m
l
March 18, 2012 8:46:25 PM

Yes the server will have GPU's, I'm just asking for specs of a server strong enough to handle streaming high quality and quantity video games.
m
l
March 19, 2012 5:55:54 AM

how can one server be controled by thousands of players/users :o 

its totally *+#@^ thing to do and its nearlly impossible to even control one pc with 2 mouse

1000 gaming pcs in 50k $ its a chalange but u are saying 50$ pc per user man thats impossible

a 100 users would do but a thousand users thats totally wicked and sick :ouch:  :pt1cable: 

we can suggest the build for gamers and enthusists and few workstation builders for cad workstation or daw but this is above it . i dont even think this is possible or not
m
l
March 19, 2012 1:31:24 PM

So you're asking amateurs on the internet to design your business for free? I think you might want to reconsider.
m
l
March 19, 2012 1:44:22 PM

So if we are bunch of noobs then answer is question
m
l
March 19, 2012 1:46:35 PM

^ You're not getting it.
m
l
March 19, 2012 2:38:57 PM

For spending 50k on computers and starting a business you want to consult reputable professionals, not random hobbyists on the internet.
m
l
March 19, 2012 2:40:54 PM

Amateur does not have to mean "n00b". If you don't get paid for doing something, then you are an amateur at it. 95% of the people on this list are probably amateurs.

m
l
March 19, 2012 2:42:31 PM

FinneousPJ said:
For spending 50k on computers and starting a business you want to consult reputable professionals, not random hobbyists on the internet.

Yeah, it is like asking a group of master gardeners how to grow corn before starting a farm.
m
l
March 19, 2012 2:50:29 PM

nebelwerfer41 said:
Amateur does not have to mean "n00b". If you don't get paid for doing something, then you are an amateur at it. 95% of the people on this list are probably amateurs.

Yes, I was using the word amateur for its real meaning, not internet slang or whatever. Sorry.
m
l
March 19, 2012 5:37:27 PM

What ever. I am still wondering if the OP is serious or a joker who is toying with us. I find it hard to believe that someone would have $50K, come up with this cloud gaming concept, and then come here for help on what hardware to use to build the servers.
m
l
March 19, 2012 5:55:01 PM

Its a troll by some amature
m
l
!