Sign in with
Your question

Cheap [~$50 USD] Video Card for Boss..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2012 7:44:30 PM

Hello,

I need to pick up a locally available [compusa, bestbuy], REALLY cheap video card with dual display [preferably hdmi and dvi] to install in my boss' machine..

This wouldnt be for gaming.. but he does intend to install win7 x64, stream media and video conference..

Belarc Advisor reports that it is a Dell Vostro 220 Series Desktop, 2.93Ghz Intel Core2 Duo on a 0JJW8N A04 board with 2gig of ram but doesn't say what kind of ram.

Obviously im not expecting much for the type of price im after, but i do want it to be an appropriate fit for the machine overall. Any suggestions?
January 12, 2012 10:05:35 PM

even further, a ATI 5450 is another very cheap option
Related resources
January 12, 2012 11:48:01 PM

The only difference 6000 series = Blu-ray support
January 13, 2012 12:28:45 AM

Lowlyworm said:
The only difference 6000 series = Blu-ray support

...and the amount of stream processors. 5000=80, 6000=160
January 13, 2012 1:03:30 AM

Thanks pharoa.
January 13, 2012 12:51:07 PM

Thanks for the info!!

Im trying to convince him its better to wait and order online.. whats available locally is awful..

Newegg reviews are raving over the GDDR5 memory on this card:

SAPPHIRE 100321DDR5LP Radeon HD 6450 512MB 64-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It doesnt seem to have as high of a clock speed as the other cards.. but i dont really know much about video cards so for all i know that is irrelevant.

Im thinking this is the best bang for the buck, no?

Thanks again for the help!
January 13, 2012 2:06:50 PM

tbh im still leaning towards the SAPPHIRE 100321DDR5LP..

does the gt 440 really offer much more? the Sapphire fits right into the budget which includes some other items.. Im just leery of overkill
January 13, 2012 8:49:35 PM

Either way, it'll be much better than integrated graphics, and he will notice a good difference even in general windows usage. You made a good choice. He will be happy
January 16, 2012 6:17:13 PM

turns out i didnt!

it was out of stock.. and good thing..

Ive been doing all of this remotely.. which is a total nightmare at times. Anyway, I checked an image of the motherboard Belarc said was in the machine at it looks like my only option is pcie x1

so now I am back at square one.. any ideas for a dual display pcie x1 board in the 50 dollar range that will just light my boss' world on fire and get me a raise?

thanks as always
January 17, 2012 3:02:59 AM

wutangclams said:
turns out i didnt!

it was out of stock.. and good thing..

Ive been doing all of this remotely.. which is a total nightmare at times. Anyway, I checked an image of the motherboard Belarc said was in the machine at it looks like my only option is pcie x1

so now I am back at square one.. any ideas for a dual display pcie x1 board in the 50 dollar range that will just light my boss' world on fire and get me a raise?

thanks as always

I checked Ebay, Tigerdirect, and Newegg, and these were the two cheapest and best options without getting a card that was 7+years old.

The top is the better card by far, however it is a normal size card so it won't fit all cases. The bottom card will fit the slim style cases as seen in a lot of computers in the work place. If your boss has a normal size case get the top card, but if he has a slim case then get the bottom. Hope this helps you out bro.

January 17, 2012 1:16:52 PM

8O

may you live for a thousand years

im going to grab the top one, now i just gotta get someone to open it on the other end to confirm.. but this image is pretty much convincing me that my only option is pcie 1x

its a normal case.. hopefully all will go well

again.. i cant thank you enough
January 17, 2012 8:10:42 PM

Great News!!

Thats a PCI-E1_16x port underneith the 1x port so my options are much larger!! i was able to confirm via cell phone image.

for my last question, i promise, will this video card work?

XFX HD-645X-ZQH2 Radeon HD 6450 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

my concern is power requirements, and the fact that it has PCI-E1_16x printed on the board and this is described as a pci express 2.1 card

Also, the PSU is a LITEON PS-6301-6 [DELL] although I am unsure of how much power it puts out..

again im sorry these posts are a bit fragmented.. this is all being done remotely =(

thanks for your help!!
January 19, 2012 1:14:42 PM

okay sorry for the bump.. but hes putting pressure on me to order today and i have so much 'real' work to get done that i cant devote enough time to speccing out the parts..

I remember a PSU power requirement calculator I saw once.. i can use that but i have no numbers to put into it. Does anyone know what kind of power the LITEON PS-6301-6 [DELL] puts out? if its adequate for XFX HD-645X-ZQH2 Radeon HD 6450, and will a pcie 2.1 card work on a mobo printed " PCI-E1_16x " ?

im just afraid that E1 means 1.0 and might be incompatible..
January 20, 2012 3:34:21 AM

I think it just means theirs 1 x(times) 16 pcie slot just like 2x16 = 2 slots, 3x=3 slots, etc. If the motherboard is newer than 3 years then it should be 2.0 compliant, which is fine.
January 20, 2012 12:00:54 PM

Excellent! I hadn't ordered it yet, but Ill place the order now..

Thanks so much! i needed to get this order in.

Now i just hope it doesnt need any cables from the psu, which im also hoping is strong enough to support the card at all

Thanks again for your help! im glad to get this done before the weekend.
January 20, 2012 6:16:45 PM

wutangclams said:
Excellent! I hadn't ordered it yet, but Ill place the order now..

Thanks so much! i needed to get this order in.

Now i just hope it doesnt need any cables from the psu, which im also hoping is strong enough to support the card at all

Thanks again for your help! im glad to get this done before the weekend.

It doesn't need any cables from the power supply. I checked, and their is nothing to plug into. The card shouldn't pull more than about 50w under full load, and the pci slot provides a full 75 w, so you don't have anythang to worry about.

Glad we could help out, and hope everythang turns out well for you.
!