Sign in with
Your question

First time builder, will this build work?

Last response: in Systems
March 18, 2012 4:57:45 AM

As the title says, I am a first time builder. I am building this computer for my wife who will be using it to do video editing and gaming. She plays games such as WoW and the Star Wars. I am looking to make her a rig where she can play any game at the highest settings or edit videos without any issues for as long as possible before having to make changes to rig.

Approximate Purchase Date: sometime in the next week

Budget Range: around $2000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming and Video editing is what it will be used for mostly

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor and speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Parts Preferences: Mid-Tower case, besides that don't really care about who makes what parts as long as they will work well together

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Not at this time but possibly in the future

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

These are the parts that I have chosen for her rig.

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm sleeve CPU Cooler

Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7970 Black Edition FX-797A-TNBC Video Card

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

DVD/CD Burner: LG 22X Super-Multi DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS90B - OEM

DVD/CD Drive: ASUS Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E818A7T/BLK/B/GEN - OEM

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX16GX3M2A1600C11

Power Supply: Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0 With Side Panel Window

Please let me know what you all think. Open to any and all recommendations or critiques. Thanks in advance for anyone that helps.
March 18, 2012 5:41:52 AM

looks good to me for as far as operating well,I would also recommend the 2700k instead and I have no experience with the ssd you chose ? could you give me feed back as far as performance with that? I would appreciate it, I personally only have used samsung and corsiair for ssd so wondering how others perform from personal experience not just benchmarks and scores.
m
l
Related resources
March 18, 2012 5:52:24 AM

jerm20 said:
As the title says, I am a first time builder. I am building this computer for my wife who will be using it to do video editing and gaming. She plays games such as WoW and the Star Wars. I am looking to make her a rig where she can play any game at the highest settings or edit videos without any issues for as long as possible before having to make changes to rig.

Quote:

kepler is coming out.i heard it's coming out on 23 march.if you can,then wait.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming and Video editing is what it will be used for mostly

Parts Preferences: Mid-Tower case, besides that don't really care about who makes what parts as long as they will work well together

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Chronos MKNSSDCR120GB 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX16GX3M2A1600C11

Power Supply: Rosewill BRONZE Series RBR1000-M 1000W "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0 With Side Panel Window

Please let me know what you all think. Open to any and all recommendations or critiques. Thanks in advance for anyone that helps.

great choice but
-drop down to 2600k,2700k isn't worth it and difference is unnoticeable.
-do you need two DVD drives?if yes then keep both otherwise one is enough.
-as sosofm said,change to black dragon.
-i am not a big fan of rosewill psus(except capstone gold series).xfx 850w should be fine.it's more than enough for 7970 CF.
-if it's a personal choice then it's good otherwise take a look at 400r,500r,phantom 410 etc.
-other components are great.

m
l
March 18, 2012 5:57:42 AM

Wow, the people at Techsupportforums said I need a 1000W PSU to run CF 7970s. Their defense was that they are PC Technicians with 5-15+ years of experience repairing and building computers. Guess experience doesn't mean much. :B
m
l
March 18, 2012 6:04:17 AM

^ experiences does means but sometimes(in fact most of the times)checking out local computer shop and review sites is a better idea.
m
l
March 18, 2012 6:34:04 AM

Try telling them that. :lol: 
They then PM me and ask why I asked for help there then. :/ 
m
l
March 18, 2012 6:43:15 AM

hellfire24 have right. Sometimes is better to search and read some reviews to make your own opinion and idea first. After that ask people with more experience if you think something is not ok.
When i've donne my PC i Googled 1 and half week for all the parts , i read a lot of reviews and after that i purchased all the parts.
m
l
March 18, 2012 12:48:35 PM

azeem40 said:
Wow, the people at Techsupportforums said I need a 1000W PSU to run CF 7970s. Their defense was that they are PC Technicians with 5-15+ years of experience repairing and building computers. Guess experience doesn't mean much. :B

They could also be hedging their bets a bit, for a long time (late 90's till about 2 years ago) a large number of PSU were just barely capable of putting out their max power and tended to have short life spans with high inefficiency and dirty output at that power as well. These also tended to fail with an ugly voltage surge, sparks and a loud pop. A decent number of these power supplies though tended to generally be ok if they weren't stressed. If you were running a machine that regularly had power draw spikes you really wanted to go about 20% over the max power for your power supply to actually be expected to survive long term.

This also caused a few other problems... a number of shady over seas suppliers realized that people in the know tended to massively over power their computer builds by rating and that if they were building computers for others and for future proofing you could slap a 600 watt label on a 400 watt cpu and be ok. Grandma playing ms solitaire and emailing isn't ever going to draw a real power spike from her system. The guy who bought himself a 800w PSU intending crossfire isn't going to need that and blow his psu until he buy that second card.

PSU's also tend to slowly loose a bit off of their peak outputs over time (especially if stressed, a stress psu puts out more heat, heat causes semiconductor material to degrade its a weird loop) so alot of the time people over build on the psu.

As a final note ATX power specs have changed as the standard has evolved,you occasionally still see older design power supplies for sale especially from bargain sites. Generally as a rule you see available amps on a power bus (rail) increase with the overall wattage of a PSU, so them not knowing what sort of power supply you are going to buy they may massively overpower your system there as well. Simply to ensure you have enough power coming in on the 12+ line.

I will happily admit to tending to go 200 or more watts more than what seems like should be safe/required for the system by adding up peak power draws of equipment inside on first install While I doubt I will ever have my video card, processor, multiple hard drives and a couple of optical drives all pulling peak power at the same time, that doesn't mean that 2 or 3 years from now after my power supply has probably lost 7% off its peak power, I won't be deciding to upgrade my video card, add in a Network integration card and decide that I want a USB rocket launcher, foot warmer, and coffee maker. Oh and I probably need a extra hard drive to go with my new light up gaming keyboard mouse and USB headset. I'll probably charge my phone off of it as well. Oh and software has gotten more demanding so I overclocked things a bit and am still peaking out my graphics card. Why is my tower smoking?
m
l
March 19, 2012 2:57:25 AM

sosofm, thanks for pointing out the memory, I had originally selected GeIL Evo Two 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model GET316GB1600C10DC but switched due to the Corsair being on sale at a local store and being honest I didn't check the latency.

That being said, which RAM is better, the GeIL Evo Two 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model GET316GB1600C10DC or the GeIL Black Dragon 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model GB316GB1600C10DC?

As far as everyone's recommendation to switch to the 2600K. I chose the 2700K because it was only $15 more. Is it really not worth the $15?

hellfire24, what is it about Rosewill psu's that you do not like? The two DVD drives and the case are my wifes choice. She likes having two DVD drives so she can make copies of her DVD movies if she chooses without having to copy them to the hard drive.

Thank you everyone for your input and I would love to hear what others have to say.
m
l
March 19, 2012 3:05:37 AM

jerm20 said:

For video editing and gaming: I recommend i7 3930K and a X79 chipset motherboard LGA 2011 socket motherboard.
m
l
March 19, 2012 5:32:15 AM

jerm20 said:

As far as everyone's recommendation to switch to the 2600K. I chose the 2700K because it was only $15 more. Is it really not worth the $15?

no it's not! :non: 

Quote:
hellfire24, what is it about Rosewill psu's that you do not like? The two DVD drives and the case are my wifes choice. She likes having two DVD drives so she can make copies of her DVD movies if she chooses without having to copy them to the hard drive.

Thank you everyone for your input and I would love to hear what others have to say.

Rosewill psus(except capstone gold series) are crap.read any review and they will show a lot of cons.they are not much efficient,most likely they do not deliver the full power,fan becomes noisy and they pop out with a pop sound.so it's better to get a better psu.
i said if you want to keep then keep your drives and case :) 
m
l
!