Question about CDMA Phone Programming

Last response: in Technologies
November 10, 2004 12:55:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular.telephones,alt.cellular.cdma (More info?)

I currently am with a gerional carrier and am happy with the service
and rate that I pay. I do pay a $3.99 monthly fee for insurance on
the phone and there is a $35 deductible to replace (I had to do this
once)

I believe that the phone might be compatible with AT&T, Sprint or
Verizon...maybe even the pay as you go Virgin Mobile phones.

My question is - I know for instance that you can buy the Virgin
phones at Best Buy for less than $100 and they are newer, more
feature-ladened phones than what I currently have. They also have no
contract, so I am assuming that I could go in there off of the street
and buy one of these phones and never make a call through their
service.

If I were to buy one of these phones, would it be possible for me to
bring it to my carrier and have it activated? Or if I bought one off
of ebay that had the same spaecs, could that be programmed for use on
my carrier?

The way I look at it is if I replace my phone once a year through the
insurance plan my cost is $4/mo =$48 + $35 ded. =$83 I only get the
same type of phone also, which in my case is a Kyocera Phantom.
Unless they upgrade that "type" phone I get the same. I might get
lucky and go from a mono-chrome to a color but that would be about it.

Is there a way for me to get a programmable phone on the open market?

Thanks for reading through this and your help
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 5:06:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular.telephones,alt.cellular.cdma (More info?)

<snip>
> I believe that the phone might be compatible with AT&T, Sprint or
> Verizon...maybe even the pay as you go Virgin Mobile phones.

AT&T uses GSM and TDMA digital the others use CDMA so the phone is not
compatible with AT&T.

> My question is - I know for instance that you can buy the Virgin
> phones at Best Buy for less than $100 and they are newer, more
> feature-ladened phones than what I currently have. They also have no
> contract, so I am assuming that I could go in there off of the street
> and buy one of these phones and never make a call through their
> service.
>
> If I were to buy one of these phones, would it be possible for me to
> bring it to my carrier and have it activated? Or if I bought one off
> of ebay that had the same spaecs, could that be programmed for use on
> my carrier?
>
> The way I look at it is if I replace my phone once a year through the
> insurance plan my cost is $4/mo =$48 + $35 ded. =$83 I only get the
> same type of phone also, which in my case is a Kyocera Phantom.
> Unless they upgrade that "type" phone I get the same. I might get
> lucky and go from a mono-chrome to a color but that would be about it.
>
> Is there a way for me to get a programmable phone on the open market?

Over the air programming is simple as dialing *228, but if you don't buy
the phone from your carrier you may not get it activated. Verizon may
activate a Sprint phone but not always the other way around. Look on ebay
and check the ESN and model number with your carrier's customer service
before you bid, if you are new to ebay check a seller's feedback and how
long they have been a member before you bid.
November 10, 2004 9:56:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.tech,alt.cellular.telephones,alt.cellular.cdma (More info?)

On 10 Nov 2004 09:55:32 -0800, bucky@onwisconsin.com (Bucky Badger)
wrote:

>My question is - I know for instance that you can buy the Virgin
>phones at Best Buy for less than $100 and they are newer, more
>feature-ladened phones than what I currently have. They also have no
>contract, so I am assuming that I could go in there off of the street
>and buy one of these phones and never make a call through their
>service.

Depends on the service and the kind of service. Virgin uses the
Sprint PCS network and uses CDMA technology which Sprint PCS and
Verizon use. However Virgin will only let you use phones which they
sell or have sold for use on their network. You cannot bring a phone
from either Sprint PCS or Verizon to use on the Virgin network.
Sprint PCS' phones are locked and if you can get the unlock codes you
can theoretically use them on the Verizon network. Verizon does not
lock their phones, but Sprint PCS and Virgin will not let you use
their phones on their network. On the other hand GSM phones
(cingular, AT&T Wireless, T-Mobile) you can use on any compatible GSM
network provided that handset restriction to use that carrier's SIM is
unlocked. If it is not unlocked the handsets will restrict what SIM
is used so you cannot use a SIM from another network.

>If I were to buy one of these phones, would it be possible for me to
>bring it to my carrier and have it activated? Or if I bought one off
>of ebay that had the same spaecs, could that be programmed for use on
>my carrier?

If it was formerly on that network or for Verizon provided that the
handset is unlocked. If GSM it needs to be unlocked.

November 11, 2004 1:42:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.tech (More info?)

>I believe that the phone might be compatible with AT&T, Sprint or
>Verizon...maybe even the pay as you go Virgin Mobile phones.

If it is a CDMA phone, it is NOT compatible with AT&T WS. When the new AT&T
service whatever it is going to be called comes online, it too will be CDMA as
they have their agreement with Sprint PCS. Virgin is also leasing service from
Sprint PCS.

--
John S.