Radeon HD5850 - Changed monitors, no display

robilcorb1

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Hi,

I unplugged my computer from my TV, left it powered off for a few days, and reconnected it to my computer monitor. When I reconnected it to my monitor, the computer seems to power up normally but I am not getting a signal sent to my monitor.

The computer has been working normally for weeks while it was hooked up to my television. I had it hooked up via hdmi to the TV and have tried every possible connection to get it working again. I don't have the original TV it was hooked up to anymore, though.

There is nothing wrong with the cables, video card, motherboard, or monitor (that I know of). Seems like this has happened before when I did this, but I can't remember how I fixed it. I think it's a simple problem to fix (e.g., like a resolution issue or something...).

Any advice?

My comp:

CORE I7 930 2.80G
ASUS P6T 1366 X58
2Gx3 - OCZ OCZ3G1600LV6GK
VGA XFX HD-585A-ZNDC HD5850

How are you connecting it currently and to what?

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Are you sure your current screen is set to the correct input? If you using HDMI, is your screen set to accept the input from HDMI? Normally you can select between DVI, HDMI, and VGA if you screen has multiple inputs.

robilcorb1

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
I have tried connecting it by hdmi and dvi to two different monitors and another television.

I can't boot into safe mode because I can't get a display.

There is nothing wrong with the current screens. They allow know to accept the signal my comp should be sending.

I just noticed that my usb keyboard isn't lighting up... not sure what that means

megagabobe1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

use your old display and set the resolution to the lowest possible and then go to the new one and see if you get an image

robilcorb1

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Also, I'm not even getting a bios flash when I power the comp up. When I say "no display," I mean I am literally getting nothing. The monitor knows it's plugged in but claims there is no signal.

robilcorb1

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Update: I removed the cmos battery to see if I could get something by clearing the bios and still nothing.

I am not even getting a bios splash when I boot up. It's like no video signal is being sent at all.

megagabobe1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

try disconnecting everything in the computer, take the gpu apart, unplug psu cables and assembly it again. This happened to me once and that fixed the problem

robilcorb1

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
Well, I've taken half of it apart already and that didn't help. I guess tomorrow I'm going to rip everything out of the case and put it back together again.

I also tried putting the gpu in a different PCIe slot. Obviously it didn't work.

megagabobe1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010

tell me how it goes