Computer Stuttering and Performance drops

Sayix

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012
Well, It seems I can't avoid computer problems no matter what.

I built a new computer towards gaming and got everything up and running around the first day of June, the computer worked like a charm, no problems at all. Then one night I ended up installing Windows Automatic Updates and after restarting, performance dropped and has never return back to it's original speed, even after un-installing said updates. After the updates I noticed stuttering happening randomly. While playing games and while just browsing the web.

After some point I decided it wasn't worth trying to fix anymore, since Microsoft wanted to charge $100 to fix their own issue. I backed everything up and re-installed windows. (However I did NOT reformat.) I noticed a performance boost but still not back up to that first potential speed. Upon just playing a game I ended up crashing, leaving the game at the last frame and a stuttering sound kept repeating itself. (The sound was speaker controlled and not coming from any computer part.) Hitting the reset button did nothing, so all that was left was a hard shut off. Best of all is there was no logs left behind of the crash, no BSOD, no errors at all.

The stuttering that happens without causing a crash is exactly like so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocKfYNV-xHo

My computer specs are:
CPU: Intel Quad-Core i5-2500k (3.3GHz)
Ram: 8GB - 2x 4gb G.Skill Sniper Series DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 550ti
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK
PSU: Rosewell Lightning series - 800W
HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda (6.0 gb/s)

My idle temperatures are:
CPU: 30C
Motherboard: 24C

Any ideas?

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I once had a wireless PCI adapter that caused the same performance issues as you describe. All it took to fix was a switch from Microsoft drivers to Manufacturer drivers to stop the stuttering.

Make sure everything is up to date... even if it doesn't seem like a critical component.

Sayix

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

What exactly is the best way to go about that? Searching for drivers individually by component or just by using device manager?

I've also noticed multiple entries of "NVIDIA High Definition Audio".
mlngk8.png

Sayix

Honorable
Jul 1, 2012

The memtest (built in with Windows, not memtest86) came back with no errors.

I've also noticed the stuttering seems to happen the most during installation of a program (especially when the installation has 1gb+) Which seems like it happens when data is being written to the hard drive. Could it be a faulty cable?