Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

In need of some advice for my new build

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 18, 2012 9:52:25 AM

Hello,
I'm new to the forums so I apologise if I leave out anything or write too much. :) 

I am currently looking to build my first computer and I have been learning about hardware compatibility and such for the last 5 months. I have never owned a desktop system before, only laptops. But recently I have decided that I want a system with powerful hardware that can run games lag-free (since I detest any form of lag). The games I will be playing on the system are: MW3, Minecraft, TF2, BF3 Assassins Creed games and (depending on whether or not I enjoy it when I play it for the first time this weekend) Skyrim.
I will also be programming and doing some 3D modelling and animation with Maya on the system.
I tend to do alot of multitasking so a processor that will allow me to do it at high speeds would be greatly appreciated.

I will basically need the whole package with this system (OS, Monitor, Gaming Keyboard and Mouse).

I live in Australia so unfortunately I am limited to certain websites. I prefer the website: www.pccasegear.com

I would like to keep the system itself (not incl. OS, monitors, keyboard and mouse) under the price of $1500 AUD.

At the moment I am looking at either the Intel i7 2600k, Intel i5 2500k or the AMD FX-8120 to base my system around.

I was looking at the Nvidia GTX 560ti 448 stream processor edition by Gigabyte.

As for motherboards, if I chose either of the LGA 1155 socket cpus I would like to purchase a Z68 chipset motherboard. And for the AMD FX-8120 the motherboard I was looking at was the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard.

I also would like a 120gb SSD as my boot drive and a 1tb 7200rpm HDD for storage.

For memory, I was looking at the Corsair Vengeance 16GB 4x4GB DDR3 low profile memory.

Power supply is most likely going to be the CoolerMaster Silent Pro Gold 800W because in future I would like to SLI my GPU and overclock my cpu to 4GHz.

I would like to purchase an after market CPU cooler as well. Any ideas? The CoolerMaster Hyper 212 seems pretty popular...

Oh I almost forgot the case ^^
I'm a fan of the NZXT Switch 810. So that looks the likely pick.

So I'd really like some advice and your opinions on the build. I'm also contemplating waiting out for the new Nvidia GPUs but I don't want to be waiting forever :) 

More about : advice build

March 18, 2012 10:22:26 AM

well it's not the case that makes your rig fast.My rule-
first core components then other fancy things.here's your rig-
Storm Enforcer-
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
a great case.enough for Sli/CF and plenty of room as well as airflow.
212 EVO cooler for overclocking-
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
2500k-
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
overclock it and your are good to go.
WD caviar blue 500gb HDD-
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
hyperx 8gb 1600 RAM-
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
Asrock extreme3/gen3-
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
solid board with plenty of features.
Antec high current GAMER psu 750w-
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
enough for 7950 CF + overclocking.
LG 24x dvd-
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
HIS radeon hd 7950-
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
enough to max out any game at 1080p
m4 128gb SSD-
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
a very reliable and fast drive.
m
0
l
March 18, 2012 10:35:45 AM

+1 hellfire24 build.
I agree with his observation too. Why to buy a verry expensive case when you can buy better hardware.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 18, 2012 8:19:40 PM

Wow, thank you ^^
You have a very good point about the case. Hardware is definitely more important, I think I got sucked in with the attractiveness and features of the Switch 810. I'm going to look around for some other <$100 case options. As for graphics cards, what do you think? The HIS Radeon HD7950 3GB or the MSI GeForce GTX 580 Twin Frozr II Overclocked 1536MB.
The GTX 580 is $30 cheaper but I've heard that the Radeon HD7950 is better than the GTX 580 and uses less power.

As for the SSD at one stage I was single minded about buying the Crucial M4 128gb SSD but then I saw some benchmarks of the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS on the motherboardsorg youtube channel and it looks ridiculously fast. What do you think?





m
0
l
March 18, 2012 9:09:10 PM

A good $100 case is the Corsair Carbide 400R. 3 140mm fans, great cable management, and blue LEDs. :) 
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 5:24:16 AM

MinecraftNinja said:
Wow, thank you ^^
You have a very good point about the case. Hardware is definitely more important, I think I got sucked in with the attractiveness and features of the Switch 810. I'm going to look around for some other <$100 case options. As for graphics cards, what do you think? The HIS Radeon HD7950 3GB or the MSI GeForce GTX 580 Twin Frozr II Overclocked 1536MB.
The GTX 580 is $30 cheaper but I've heard that the Radeon HD7950 is better than the GTX 580 and uses less power.


7950 is way better than 580.no point of gtx 580 here.

Quote:
As for the SSD at one stage I was single minded about buying the Crucial M4 128gb SSD but then I saw some benchmarks of the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS on the motherboardsorg youtube channel and it looks ridiculously fast. What do you think?


i agree that OCZ drives are fast but they are most unreliable SSDs IMO.i am using m4 128gb it's great.my dad faced two times failure from a vertex 3 drive.so i would say only speed isn't everything.stick with m4.
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 5:24:50 AM

azeem40 said:
A good $100 case is the Corsair Carbide 400R. 3 140mm fans, great cable management, and blue LEDs. :) 


on pccasegear,it's $130 :( 
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 5:56:27 AM

hellfire24 said:
7950 is way better than 580.no point of gtx 580 here.

Quote:
As for the SSD at one stage I was single minded about buying the Crucial M4 128gb SSD but then I saw some benchmarks of the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS on the motherboardsorg youtube channel and it looks ridiculously fast. What do you think?


i agree that OCZ drives are fast but they are most unreliable SSDs IMO.i am using m4 128gb it's great.my dad faced two times failure from a vertex 3 drive.so i would say only speed isn't everything.stick with m4.



Ok, 7950 it is then ^^ but is this HIS card good? To be completely honest I haven't heard of HIS before :) 

I've also heard that OCZs failure rate in there SSDs is pretty shocking. I will stick with the M4. But on another note, since I know for sure now that I will get the Intel i5 2500k with a Z68 chipset mobo, I was considering purchasing a 64gb M4 and using it as a cache for a 1 or 2tb drive with Intel Smart Response Technology, so according to Intel I will see: "SSD speed with HDD capacity!". But would a 128gb SSD as a boot drive offer superior performance to ISRT?

Just another question concerning Motherboards, how does the ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 compare to the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard. It seems to me the ASRock board you suggested offers more features for a lesser price.

And on a completely different note: I have been looking at Monitors and since I would like a dual monitor display, I am trying to find as large as possible monitor that I can buy 2 of for under $250. So far two Samsung S20B300B 20in Widescreen LED Monitors will set me back $230, is that a good deal?
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 6:04:49 AM

hellfire24 said:
on pccasegear,it's $130 :( 


Yeah... a bit expensive... but I like the case :) 
If I were to get a case for $130 though, I would probably get the CoolerMaster CM 690 II Advanced with Window USB3.0, maybe I can go a little over budget...

But I also saw the BitFenix Shinobi Black Case with Window on PCCG, its $73. Its simple and classic, and to be honest, kinda suits my taste.
What are your thoughts on the case? I noticed it doesn't have front panel USB 3.0 ports though... :( 

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 6:11:02 AM

well it's better to use a single product for single use.put your OS and games on SSD and other stuff on HDD.it's best thing LOL ;) 
yeah that's right.Asrock is a great board.So is gigabyte.but Asrock is way cheaper and a very solid board.
for monitor,a single large display is better than two 20".add a smaller display for work,for $250,here's a good deal-
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
+
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 6:18:04 AM

No-ones mentioned it yet so...
**And for the AMD FX-8120 the motherboard I was looking at was the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard. **

I wouldn't,
really, no,
do not try fitting an 8120 into an Intel Z68 motherboard, please, it won't like it and neither will you :p 
try it in an Am3+ plate
+1 for AsRock though, I like the brand and haven't had any issues with their boards yet
Moto

m
0
l
March 19, 2012 6:21:22 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
No-ones mentioned it yet so...
**And for the AMD FX-8120 the motherboard I was looking at was the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Motherboard. **

I wouldn't,
really, no,
do not try fitting an 8120 into an Intel Z68 motherboard, please, it won't like it and neither will you :p 
try it in an Am3+ plate
+1 for AsRock though, I like the brand and haven't had any issues with their boards yet
Moto


Oh whoops! Sorry about that :)  Wrong board ;)  I meant the Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard for the AMD FX-8120. But I can scrap that altogether anyways since I'm almost completely sure I'm going to get the Intel i5 2500k :) 
m
0
l
March 19, 2012 6:22:50 AM

Good move, I almost edited to mention the 2500k is a better choice :) 
Moto
m
0
l
!