Sign in with
Your question

Computer not starting - Graphics Card Issue

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 12, 2012 9:04:26 PM

Alright so I have an Asus 6950 2GB Graphics Card. Yesterday I got a third monitor, so I could run triple monitors. I was playing games such as skyrim and battlefield yesterday, and I realized on all max, I was having some lag. I decided I'd try overclocking my GPU a little bit. So, I opened up an application that installed with my graphics card called Asus SmartDoctor. The program doesn't allow for huge overclocks, as 950MHz is the maximum it'll let me set my GPU speed at. So, I applied this overclock, and no problems whatsoever, but didn't see a huge frame rate increase. I wanted to see if I could overclock my GPU to a high enough speed that I wouldn't have to put another 6950 in crossfire, to have playable FPS. I'm not necessarily a cheapass, but I didn't really feel obligated to fork out another $300. So, I heard AMD Overdrive was a decent program so I went and downloaded it. I double-clicked it to open it up, and some terms and conditions popped up, stating that AMD is not responsible for any settings you adjust, as that may cause damage to the GPU. There were 2 options, OK and Cancel, or something along those lines. So I clicked OK, and all of sudden, I saw like 8 blue bars go horizontally across my screen, and then the BSOD appeared. Following the BSOD, my computer restarted. When it attempted to start back up, the ASUS BIOS page was displayed for an unusually long period of time. It was stuck on that page for like 20 seconds, and usually it's on it for like a maximum of 4. After the page disappeared, the starting windows animation came up, which seemed fine. But right after the starting windows page, the Welcome page with the loading circle appeared, but the circle didn't move, as it was frozen on the page, and the same blue bars appeared and restarted once again. It was only on the welcome page for maybe half a second, but long enough to tell that the circle wasn't moving. I hadn't even overclocked my GPU in AMD Overdrive yet, just simply accepted their terms and conditions. When windows attempts to restart, it says windows did not shut down properly last time, and it gives me the option to boot into safe or start normally, so I decided to try safe mode. Worked just fine, no problems with that at all. I thought maybe I could open up that SmartDoctor program and restore the default clock, but it won't let me start up the program. Nothing I've tried so far has seemed to work, and I'd really appreciate some input, as I don't want to go fork out $300, and my third monitor was my present, as yesterday was my birthday. So please give me some advice on what to do. I've heard there is some BIOS switch on my graphics card, but I can't seem to locate it.
January 12, 2012 9:09:47 PM

boot into Safe Mode, uninstall all teh AMD software and uninstall teh card from the device manager and reboot. It SHOULD boot normally but without the AMD drivers the res will be afu. Now install the AMD driver suite and start again...
m
l
January 12, 2012 9:10:42 PM

Oh... and remove the extra monitors, only boot into safe mode and the initial setup using a single monitor...
m
l
Related resources
January 12, 2012 9:23:30 PM

Yeah I'm only using one, and tried what you said, I removed the card from device manager and all the software, and restarted it, it just gave me BSOD.
m
l
January 12, 2012 10:29:58 PM

This happened to me with the 7970. What you have to do is boot into safe mode , install iobit uninstaller and with it uninstall amd overdrive, it will ask you if you want to make a scan for left overs, its VERY IMPORTANT that you choose yes, and remove all the remaining overdrive icons. After all that you just reboot into normal mode and voila!

This worked for me atleast.....
m
l
January 12, 2012 10:40:14 PM

How do you install iobit installer?
m
l
January 12, 2012 11:20:34 PM

NighteyesWolf said:
This happened to me with the 7970. What you have to do is boot into safe mode , install iobit uninstaller and with it uninstall amd overdrive, it will ask you if you want to make a scan for left overs, its VERY IMPORTANT that you choose yes, and remove all the remaining overdrive icons. After all that you just reboot into normal mode and voila!

This worked for me atleast.....

OMG I LOVE YOU!! Thank you so much! Works perfect!
m
l
!