Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
March 18, 2012 11:05:08 AM

Hello hardware gurus,

The Problem
I'm seeking aid with an issue that has plagued my computer for nearly a year now. I built the computer by hand and while not my first home built I would not call myself an expert on it. The issue I'm having is that my computer is randomly crashing. Specifically it is hard locking, loosing display image and producing repetitive sound stutters if the speakers are in use when it happens. Only hitting the reset button or turning off the machine by holding the power button for 10 seconds will reset the system. It occurs at random intervals; I can play a game for 12+ hours and not experience any issues. Other times it will crash twice in 20 minutes playing the same game. The only time it consistently locks up is if I leave it at the desktop unattended for more then 15 minutes. The only error message I've received on the machine is occasional my Nvidia graphics drivers will stop functioning, but this usually results in a brief lose of display and then the machine recovers.

Hardware specs
CPU - Intel i5-2500k running at factory speed and voltage
- CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ running a push/pull fan configuration

Motherboard - Asus P8P67 Pro

Ram - Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 CL9 4gb dual channel stick x2 (totaling 8 gb)

Graphics Card - Gigabyte GV-N560OC-1G - Geforce GTX 560 Ti 1024 mb GDDR5 PCIe 2.0

Hard Drive - Intel X-25M 120gb SATA II SSD (running the OS and other system critical software)
- Western Digital Cavalier Black 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s 7,200 RPM (gaming drive)

Power Supply - Corsair AX850 Gold Series 850 watts

Case - Cooler Master CM 690 II

OS - Windows 7 64 bit home edition

Things I have tried
I've reinstalled the OS 3 separate times. My graphic drivers, bios, OS, Direct-x, and sound drivers are all kept up to date. Heat is well managed the system runs at 50 C at load and 35 C idle. I've reseated all of the components two times, (one counting initial installation), including reseating the CPU, reapplying thermal compound and reseating the heat sink. I've double checked the heat sink mounting to make sure the support bars are in place and no damage to the motherboard has occurred due to the weight. I'm currently at work, but plan to attempt to reinstall the OS onto the disk drive instead of it the SSD, this is not my ideal solution, because I like the boot times and other advantages of having the OS on the SSD. This may not even be a solution, but I figure it is worth a try.

Any advice or possible solutions the community might have would be greatly appreciated.

More about : request aid computer lockup

Best solution

March 18, 2012 11:20:12 AM

Hi there,

First, are using using Silver substance thermal?

Second, when touching your components or removing them, did you use anti-static equipment to aid you with your build?

Third, did you use compressed air (cans) to clean your hardware / motherboard and other components? Dirt / Dust can build up inside your system and degrade its performance.

Fourth, did you try disabling this if you are using SSD? It will help your HDD / SSD a lot...

------------------------------
Disable ‘Superfetch’ (Windows 7 / Vista)

Superfetch does look great and helpful if you are NOT a heavy user like me. But, it sure does KNOW HOW to strangle system memory!

1.] Click Start >> Right Click: My Computer >> Manage >> Services and Applications >> Services

2.] Locate this process and “Disable” it – celetape it against the wall if you want…

Services (process): Superfetch

3.] Reboot your system!

Source: http://lair360.co.uk/blog/1139/optimizing-ssd-drive/

Finally, please get yourself costume heatsink and do some cable management for better air-circulation. Also, please download this apps and monitor your temperature. Most HDD / SSD will lock up if it's running @ 75C~

www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Related resources
March 18, 2012 12:03:40 PM

Chaz21 said:
Thanks for the links. :) 

No problem. :) 
m
l
March 18, 2012 5:38:35 PM

Thank you Laircouk for taking the time to reply to my thread.

In answer to some of your questions.

1) I use IC Diamond 7 Carat thermal Compound.

2) I always wear a static bracelet when handling any of my computer hardware.

3) I clean the inside of my computer twice monthly using a compressed air can and a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dusty air as it is ejected from the parts. We have a cat that sheds a lot and so I'm pretty religious about this one.

4) I have a Cooler master Hyper 212+ after market heat sink and I'm very happy with the Coolermaster CM 690 II's cable management system that has a hollow space on the backside of the motherboard so all of your cables slip through there and then into your components. As previously states my CPU and GPU temps run around 50 Celsius at load. I do not however monitor my drive temps so I'll download that software and take a look at those.

I also do not have superfetch disabled, so I will try that and see if that might also be an issue.

Again thank you kindly for your response.
m
l
March 19, 2012 2:22:16 AM

Magthere said:
Thank you Laircouk for taking the time to reply to my thread.

In answer to some of your questions.

1) I use IC Diamond 7 Carat thermal Compound.

2) I always wear a static bracelet when handling any of my computer hardware.

3) I clean the inside of my computer twice monthly using a compressed air can and a vacuum cleaner to suck out the dusty air as it is ejected from the parts. We have a cat that sheds a lot and so I'm pretty religious about this one.

4) I have a Cooler master Hyper 212+ after market heat sink and I'm very happy with the Coolermaster CM 690 II's cable management system that has a hollow space on the backside of the motherboard so all of your cables slip through there and then into your components. As previously states my CPU and GPU temps run around 50 Celsius at load. I do not however monitor my drive temps so I'll download that software and take a look at those.

I also do not have superfetch disabled, so I will try that and see if that might also be an issue.

Again thank you kindly for your response.

Hi there,

I checked your answer and here my conclusion...

Never use Vacuum Cleaner to clean your system / hardware! Always use Compress Air (Cans)! :( 

Vacuums can cause a great amount of static electricity. This could shock your computer and destroy the circuits or expensive components. In addition to that danger, there is another risk. Unless you have very small attachments for your vacuum, the hoses and nozzles are very big and clumsy. It could easily knock a capacitor loose or break it off. You really don't want that...

On top of that, I am glad that you use non-silver thermal for your processor and proper heatsink. That is perfect!
But yeah, please keep your cat from rubbing your case. Hair (Cat furr) is another issue and it can kill your computer. In other terms, if those tiny hair hit your equipment, it will build up static electric and may kill / short-circuit your components. Please be cautious...
m
l
March 19, 2012 2:30:29 AM

Sorry I should have better clarified. When using the vacuum I keep the nozzle out of the case, but use it to suck up the dusty air from outside of the case. However I did not consider that it may still be generating enough static and passing that charge through me. I'll reconsider the use of a vacuum to remove dusty air after using my air can.

That said I don't think static damage has occured, if it was a damaged component I should be seeing a much more consistent error, at least that is my assumption.
m
l
March 19, 2012 3:39:35 AM

Magthere said:
Sorry I should have better clarified. When using the vacuum I keep the nozzle out of the case, but use it to suck up the dusty air from outside of the case. However I did not consider that it may still be generating enough static and passing that charge through me. I'll reconsider the use of a vacuum to remove dusty air after using my air can.

That said I don't think static damage has occured, if it was a damaged component I should be seeing a much more consistent error, at least that is my assumption.

Yes, I understand. But, if you really want to use vacuum, please keep it on the outside though and well away from the mobo, etc. If you do it this way, any dust will be sucked up if it flies about if you are using compressed air. Again, don't put it near your Case and give the head (vacuum hose) some space.
m
l
March 19, 2012 10:04:44 AM

It would appear that disabling Superfetch has solved my issue.

Thank you Laircouk for the solution.
m
l
March 19, 2012 10:05:44 AM

Best answer selected by Magthere.
m
l
March 19, 2012 10:07:53 AM

Hi Magthere, please use your computer for another few hours and see how it goes. :) 
Also, please use CCleaner to remove some junk and give your HDD / SSD some breathing space.

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Notes: please keep CCleaner settings as default and let the application do it's job...

Glad I could help!
m
l