Need a GPU to run both monitors at 1080p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gundown64

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I purchased a second ACER 21.5" monitor and hooked it up today. Sadly, my current GPU (Radeon HD 5450) is not able to support them both at 1920x1080 resolution. It supports one, but not both, only allowing the second monitor to get to 1600x1200. Basically, I just want to find one that will support both of them at 1920x1080 because the fuzziness of the second one really bothers me and I like the larger resolution. I don't play any games (maybe Minecraft) or watch really any movies (maybe a downloaded video occasionally). All I use my PC for is web browsing, YouTube, homework, occasional Photoshop or other Adobe products. So the card doesn't need to be a monster, just enough to suit my needs. My only concern is I only have a 450w power supply, so not sure if that will be sufficient or not, but please let me know. Thanks in advance for the help!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Whenever.
BUDGET: Under 200 maybe? As cheap as possible without compromising reliability or quality.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Read above. Web browsing, YouTube, homework, occasional PS.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Radeon 5450 HD, Turbolink ATXTL450w-BK

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
8gb DDR3,
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T 3.00 Ghz
ASUS M4A78LT-M AM3 AMD 760G

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Amazon first, Newegg second.

PARTS PREFERENCES: Whatever is compatible.

OVERCLOCKING: No and No.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080 for both.

Solution
Check the brand, and preferably the model as well, on the PSU. It'll be fine unless it's really awful.
A 6770's probably your best bet. That'll run something like $90 after rebate. If money's really tight, a 6670 would cover it at $65 after rebate.
If you run games, just do it on one screen.
Photoshop will generally be limited by your processor. You could do well with a third-party heatsink and a mild overclock on that 1075T.
Check the brand, and preferably the model as well, on the PSU. It'll be fine unless it's really awful.
A 6770's probably your best bet. That'll run something like $90 after rebate. If money's really tight, a 6670 would cover it at $65 after rebate.
If you run games, just do it on one screen.
Photoshop will generally be limited by your processor. You could do well with a third-party heatsink and a mild overclock on that 1075T.

Solution

Gundown64

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

Alright, I'll check the brand when I get a chance. I don't think it's horrible, but I'd like to be safe.

$90 is more than reasonable. If there is something better that my 450w can handle than that might be ok as well.

If I do play games, I would only run it on one screen anyway like you stated.

Honestly, if I ever open of PS it's just for maybe a quick edit or something. I'm don't spend hours on end on it.

And are you sure that it will be able to run both monitors at 1080 resolution?

Gundown64

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Ok, well I don't think this is the best brand as I haven't even heard of it, but let me know. I don't mind buying a new one. - Turbolink ATXTL450w-BK

If I need a new PSU, what what you recommend to get along with a GPU for my needs, sub-$200?

I don't think you can run any decent card, then. Read this damning review:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Apevia-Turbolink-ATX-TL450W-BK-Power-Supply-Review/1212
"Here we found something interesting. On the power supply printed circuit board is written that if the unit uses a 6.3 A fuse, which is the case, it is a model between 230W and 300W...
"We are amazed to discover that power supplies with fake wattages are still being sold in the United States and, of all places, at Newegg.com. We thought is was illegal to sell this kind of junk in America.
"The Apevia Turbolink ATX-TL450W-BK is sold as a 450 W unit, but it can only deliver 240 W. Having a fake wattage is the smallest of its problems: it is a piece of junk that can damage your computer, since it provides noise/ripple levels above the maximum allowed, as it doesn't have the required filtering coils in its secondary...the cable configuration is a joke...with no video card power connector (if it had, users would fry the power supply as soon as they ran a game)."

Get a Corsair 430W, which is currently $25 after rebate (it should honestly be $55). From the same site:
"The Corsair CX430 V2 proved to be an outstanding product, possibly the power supply with the best cost/benefit ratio we've ever seen."
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026&Tpk=corsair%20430w

Gundown64

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
Wow...that's bad. The computer was a prebuilt, but I've replaced almost everything except for the PSU and HD. I wouldn't have bought a PSU like that if I had built it.

Will the Corsair PSU be able to handle the GPU you listed well? I hate to have "just enough" power. If I need more I will gladly do so. Basically, all I want is a good PSU + GPU combo for $200 or less.

Gundown64

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011

I understand that, I was just double checking that the 6770 had the capability to run two monitors at 1080 as my 5450 cannot. Thank you very much for your help. I'm going to be purchasing those very soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.