Status
Not open for further replies.

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Depends on what your budget is, and what you are going to do with your system.
For a majority of builds though, an Intel LGA 1155 based system is recommended.

Please specify more details so that we can help you :)

fjay

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Depends where you live, what is on sale, and what you want to do with the computer.

For top performance Intel. But if you do lots of multitasking,and you are cheap like me, the additional cores from AMD will help that for lower $'s.

For me, best value for my buck at the time was AMD by far (Nov 2011 when I built this comp) - when you include MB & Proc. I like the fact that AMD keeps the same socket for like 5 years -so when the 3rd -4th gen bulldozer comes out, I can plug it in :)...this is not a guarantee though.

Also the FX-41XX is a fun Oc'ing processor for $100, and up from there for the 6 & 8 core models...

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

Best. Post. Ever. :D

mafisometal

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

To be quite honest, there's a lot of talk that Intel triumphs over AMD, sure...for most of the case yes, but in reality the difference is not that great. I've used both and tbh i don't really see much of a "drastic" difference.

If you're going for gaming honestly AMD and Intel do fine...as long as you have a good video card ($150+) and at least 8GB of ram you should be fine. When it comes to CPU count, i don't really know of any game that really utilizes more than 4 cores so it doesn't really matter going past it.

if your going for Production i would say Intel mostly, and maybe AMD if you go for the Phenom II X6 if your on a budget for more than 4 cores...Most programs won't go further than 6 core usage... I've used programs like Maya and 3DSMax to do heavy renderings and i've done them on an Intel i7 and as well as the AMD Phenom II and the difference is very minimal.

There are also a lot of factors to count. Personally i enjoy AMD over Intel just because of how Video Cards are utilized alongside with the CPU. Intel though does have a much higher performance when you really want to spend money. But personally i think the whole issue over AMD vs Intel is a little outrageous because the performance difference in real life use isn't drastic to make AMD look like a slouch.

Value for money i say AMD is better...but there are some sacrifices on motherboards because many motherboards built for AMD sacrifice slight performance on USB3.0 and SATA III 6Gb's. Intel MB will perform better there. but AMD i think outperforms on the RAM utilization, not by a noticeable margin though. Also a very interesting method AMD chips and Motherboards tend to be very compatible with each other...AM3+ boards will support any chip...most of people i know don't have $1500 to blow off for the ultimate machine. I was able to buy a good MB that was able to support older chips and in 9 months i was able to work my way up to everything i wanted which was really nice.

If you don't care about a budget and are willing to spend for extremely high performance, then go Intel and ignore what i said up top. =)

macgirlfriend

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
AMD's hypertransport increases the frequency of malware. This will infect your Windows and Linux computers and make your inbox post AMD ridden letters with the enchaned virus feature on AMD processors. Then it will take your credit card and donate all the money to AMD, to further their evil operations. Recently AMD has incorporated an ARM core to broadcast this rootkit to infect even Android devices. Buy a Mac, they are free of evil AMD and cannot have viruses, especially after Gatekeeper is introduced, everyone will use a Mac.

macgirlfriend

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008

You may save some money now, but when AMD steals your credit card, who will save you? Only Macs stop you from losing your credit card details.

fjay

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
Apples have worms though...

Big ones!
And they dont need to steal your credit card, as you voluntarily give away an extra $1000 for hardware worth half the price you are paying...

fjay

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
If you believe what you are told....

Although, in 20 years of using PC's, I have yet to run into a "quality" issue... nothing has worn out or broke...just replaced due to obsolecense...Half of my family are mac users and they always comment on how fast my "budget" computer is.....

macgirlfriend

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2008
That's because Steve Ballmer has tempted you into being brainwashed by AMD and Microsoft. They install special software to control your thinking and purchase more of their computers. It is proven by science to hypnotize people. Those poor mac users are being controlled by IBM and Microsoft. Apple liberates us from a Orwellian totalitarianism. It can been seen by this ad: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhsWzJo2sN4

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012

*ahem*

35ihxn.jpg

:lol: :pt1cable: :heink: Um, ok, time to close this thread methinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.