Sign in with
Your question

Will an i3 2120 bottleneck a Nvidia GTX560 Ti?

Last response: in Systems
March 18, 2012 3:13:14 PM

Hello, I've bought a cheap computer and was thinking of upgrading it to use it for gaming, and was wondering if 4GB of DDR3 RAM and an i3-2120 would bottleneck the GTX560 Ti

Computer spec:
Intel Core i3-2120 Processor
Asus P8H61-MX motherboard
4GB DDR3 RAM
500GB HDD
600W Corsair PSU

I think that's all thats neccessary, if there's anything else there that will bottleneck the GTX560 Ti performance please let me know, thankyou in advance to anyone that replys :) 
March 18, 2012 3:50:00 PM

I would like to play Skyrim in 1920x1080 and other quite demanding games on high-max settings, would I get a playable fps (30-60) with this setup?
March 18, 2012 4:08:17 PM

Thankyou for the advice but them cards are slightly out of my price range, I may have to save for a bit longer to buy them then, are you saying that the gtx560 Ti would only achieve them numbers or could it get higher?
Related resources
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
March 18, 2012 4:47:18 PM

An i3 2120 / GTX 560 Ti build is very balanced and will be great for gaming. You should be able to max most games at 1920 x 1080.

Skyrim is very CPU dependant and the i3 2121 is a great gaming CPU.
March 18, 2012 4:59:08 PM

Thankyou so much for the advice, won't need to spend extra money on better cards :)  also I'm new to these forums, underneath your text it says about picking the best answer, how do I do that?
March 18, 2012 5:51:50 PM

The only one out of them i'd be able to afford is the 7850 which is going to have a 900mhz core clock which is the same as a the gigabyte oc version of the gtx 560 ti has, so in what ways will it be better because i don't full understand much of the other specs of them? because im not sure what a stream processor is
March 18, 2012 6:46:14 PM

Quote:
hmmm, i have to dissagree with you, either , 7870,7850,GTX660 and GTX 660ti are better choices than a soon to be outdated GTX 560ti, and no, those cards i mentioned are not going to be more expensive than a GTX 560 ti because all of those four cards are aimed at 180$(7850) -250$(GTX 660ti) price range, and wichever card you choose out of those four is going to be better than a GTX 560ti, trust me

I guess you know something the rest of the world does not since the Nvidia 6xx cards have not been released nor have any benchmarks been made public. Any price or performance figures are just speculation at this point.

If the OP is in need of a system today the GTX560 Ti is a great card and will continue to be a strong performer at least until the next generation of consoles come out in 2014.

March 18, 2012 6:49:37 PM

LukeD1357 said:
The only one out of them i'd be able to afford is the 7850 which is going to have a 900mhz core clock which is the same as a the gigabyte oc version of the gtx 560 ti has, so in what ways will it be better because i don't full understand much of the other specs of them? because im not sure what a stream processor is

AMD and Nvidia use completely different architectures. You can not directly compare the 2 based on clockspeed/memory ect. because of this. You have to go by the benchmarks.
March 18, 2012 9:55:10 PM

frozonic I did say i don't fully understand all the other specs, but thankyou for explain I understand a bit more now :)  If i had to decide right now what to get it would be the GTX560 Ti but I'm going to have a think because I have zero patience when it comes to things like this, if i want something, i will do everything i can to get it now lol but if there really is going to be that much of a performance boost I may aswell wait
March 18, 2012 10:13:54 PM

The GTX 680 will be released March 22 ( supposedly ) so wait a week if you don't need the card right now. Some early rumors have the GTX 6xx series being quite good. However you can't believe marketing hype most of the time. The AMD Bulldozer chips were supposed to be good too and they turned out to be the biggest fail in computer parts in years. Also the GTX 680 will be a ~$500 part and when the cheaper cards will be released is not known yet.
March 18, 2012 11:17:24 PM

I have a 560Ti and in about 5 minutes I'm gonna play BF3 on max settings and hit 60fps. You can pick one up for $210 with a rebate. If the new cards are also gonna be $210, then you can bet the 560Ti will be even lower. For those playing on the new card, they will be playing BF3 at the same FPS (to the naked eye at least) that I'm playing it (assuming a standard 1080 rez). Now, in a year and a half, when BF4 comes out.....who knows......but that might as well be 50 years away.

If you want to play BF3 and Skyrim now, buy a card now. You get what you pay for and the Ti is a super card at a super sweet price range. You can OC the crap out of it, its quiet, it runs cool, and if you get the MSI its short and won't crowd your HDDs.

Yes I'd love to have a newer card, but I always like waiting till they've been out 6 months anyway so they can get the kinks worked out anyway.

Who knows, by the time your 560 won't crank out enough power, maybe you'll have the funds to buy a kepler then. Besides, its fun shopping for a new card every year or two anyway, eh?

Anyhoo, that's my take on it. We all have different reasons and missions for our purchases. Just providing a different perspective.
March 19, 2012 5:27:17 AM

I didn't plan on buying a card and it lasting 5 years or so, because in reality that doesn't happen (unless you only use it for like spreadsheets or the same game for years) I want to be able to play relatively new games at quite good speeds, and to me BF3 is a relatively new game and in my opinion 50-60fps is a good speed, so when it can't handle the games that come out I will have to upgrade and im sure i will have enough money within 2 years :p 
March 30, 2012 9:34:12 AM

I went with the Sapphire HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 version and an intel core i5 2500k, just had the card delivered, not got the processor yet, and even on skyrim on ultra (everything on ultra, not the preset) i get avg of 50fps, very pleased, thankyou for all your help :) 
April 2, 2012 2:13:43 PM

How do i do that :p 
April 2, 2012 2:16:42 PM

it was set as a discussion not a question so apparently i can't and it won't let me edit it, sorry :( 
!