Which company is better?

computertechs

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
GPU have gotten better.
I like both Nvidia/Radeon companys

This is the Radeon 7970, is the best single GPU out there.
3GB 384 Bits.
Now Gtx 580, Use to have 1534Mb 384 Bits.
But since the new release from radeon 7970, Gtx 580 doing the same 3GB and 384 bits.
Different is the PCIE slots.
Radeon 7970 is using PCI Express 3.0 x16
GTX 580 is using PCI Express 2.0 x16
But i beat that most of you don't know that a AMD motherboard doesn't support
PCI Express 3.0 x16.
And Intel motherboard doesn't support PCI Express 2.1 x16
{Example Radeon 6770}
But both motherboard company will support PCI Express 2.0
But a PCI Express 2.1 can work with a PCI Express 2.0

the GTX 580 got the same as a Radeon 7970.
Prices are the same.

Radeon 6990 is a Dual gpu, So is a GTX 590.
Radeon HD 6990 4GB 256-bit PCI Express 2.1 x16
Nvidia 3072MB 768-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

DM186

Splendid
They are both in my opinion good and bad. They have to compete with each other so you have everything on what you have just said.

With the 7970 AMD got lucky with the 28mm chip as to Nvidia they are still having issues with it but promise to get is out this year.

I think that the PCIe's are just tools to out do each other and making a card sonnd better when the 2.1 will work with 2.0. I don't know anything about the 3.0 yet. Either company is good and we do have our fan boys to prove each side. Again this is just my opinion.

jdwii

Splendid

Luck or skill? (luck probably knowing Amd)

7970 only beats the 580 by 20-25% on stock but the card can be overclocked pretty darn far.

As for the PCI-E 3.0 who really cares. Right now its not much but marketing.

As for saying amd boards don't have this or that i could also say Intel also don't make high end video cards to begin with to put into their shinny PCI-E 3.0 slot.

PCI-E 3.0 with 7970 doesn't actually make very much difference, I think it's only going to be at most 5 fps difference. So AMD has no problem not having a Chipset that support PCI-E 3. But, I'm sure they will at Piledriver release with probably a new socket (AM4 or something) which is backward compatible probably (Yes, AMD likes to make backward compatible Chipsets+Procrssor/CPU).

I also have a think from someone that says 'There will be no GTX 600, 600's are going to be like 300 series, only for mainstream and low-end.' I know that this can't be confirmed yet but I have a think it's going to be like this. So people that waits for GTX Keplers are going to wait longer :(.

By the way, these 2 companies are very good with pros and cons, While nvidia having better support and/or better drivers, PhysX (some games), CUDA. And AMD having more efficiency cards and win at price/performance.

So, anything you choose, depends on personal preference.

lukaman

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
gotta agree with all of these comments so far :/
nividia and radeon take turns being the leading grahics company if you look at the history and Wright now it seems like radeon is leading ahead of nividia.
if ur new and building a new gaming rig u should go with a radeon for now ( who knows when its gonna change ) but if u have a good history with either and not willing to change ur mind, some people are fanatics.
( my dad despises radeon i told him i wanted to get a pair of 6770's to set up for crossfire and he stooped the car and just looked at me )

amuffin, ICEQ?!?!?!!!!

Guys, if you would pick one best card of 2011 (not just model, both model, cooler and brand also, OVERALL, by meaning, regarding price, performance, overclocking, temperatures, brands, services, drivers, features and warranty.

See if you can get them... For me I don't know yet :lol:

Doh I forgot HIS :p