Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Are these accurate temps for my AMD Phenom II X4?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
July 2, 2012 1:08:26 PM

I have an AMD Phenom II X4 830 CPU and this seems like the coolest running CPU I've seen. I'm using HWiNFO64 and Speedfan to check the readings. I get 4 temps: Temp1, Temp2, HDD, and Core. Core I know is the temperature of the core of the CPU, and it gives similar readings to that of Temp1, so I'm assuming that the latter is also the CPU temp.

Anyway, on idle, the temps show around 22°C and up to 40°C on load. This is, of course, relatively very cool. So I'm a bit confused. This is also my first time using an AMD, so I'm not sure how cool those usually run, although I've read posts of people having around 50 degrees or so idle temps.

So what I'm thinking is I've either got a very good case with lots of airflow and superior fans, or my temps are inaccurate.

Well, this is not a serious issue, but perhaps you guys can shed some light on my confusion. How cool do your AMDs run? Is this normal or did I get a "lucky" CPU? Or could my temps be off? I have all stock cooling by the way. I use Speedfan to raise the fan speed, but I get these kinds of temps running at the unadjusted "stock" speeds of 30% CPU and 20% rear exhaust. Those are my only 2 fans.

Thanks.
a c 93 à CPUs
July 2, 2012 1:23:41 PM

My x4 840 with a Freezer Pro in cold server room of ambiant temp of 11c, idles at 17c and peaks at full load at 38c. So your temps are fine if room chilly.
a c 142 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 2, 2012 1:51:17 PM

I had one guy swear that his Bulldozer CPU was idling at 7 centigrade last week and mid 50s under a fully overclocked load. I pointed out how silly this was and after performing a firmware update and getting a second opinion his load temps shot up to almost 90. 22 degrees isn't improbable if your room is hovering in the mid teens but it is a little bit on the low side. Please keep in mind though that thermal diodes aren't very trustworthy at low temperatures, its the load temperatures that count.
Related resources
July 2, 2012 1:57:39 PM

das_stig said:
My x4 840 with a Freezer Pro in cold server room of ambiant temp of 11c, idles at 17c and peaks at full load at 38c. So your temps are fine if room chilly.

11C? That's chilly. Must be heaven for a CPU though. No, in the summer months we average in the mid-20s inside. Still, my CPU remains about 24C on idle. I find it a bit odd considering my previous system averaged in the mid-40s on idle. I guess no two CPUs are equal, right?
July 2, 2012 2:04:48 PM

Pinhedd said:
I had one guy swear that his Bulldozer CPU was idling at 7 centigrade last week and mid 50s under a fully overclocked load. I pointed out how silly this was and after performing a firmware update and getting a second opinion his load temps shot up to almost 90. 22 degrees isn't improbable if your room is hovering in the mid teens but it is a little bit on the low side. Please keep in mind though that thermal diodes aren't very trustworthy at low temperatures, its the load temperatures that count.

Yes, I can never seem to be able to trust thermal sensors, I don't know why. Also, you mentioned firmware? What particular piece of hardware did he update? Of course I'm completely happy with these low temps, but I don't want it to be a false sense of security. If my CPU is overheating, I want to know about it. Not that I'll just flash some random firmware onto my system, but I will certainly look into it.
a c 142 à CPUs
a b À AMD
July 2, 2012 2:12:08 PM

rectec said:
Yes, I can never seem to be able to trust thermal sensors, I don't know why. Also, you mentioned firmware? What particular piece of hardware did he update? Of course I'm completely happy with these low temps, but I don't want it to be a false sense of security. If my CPU is overheating, I want to know about it. Not that I'll just flash some random firmware onto my system, but I will certainly look into it.


Motherboard firmware AKA UEFI/BIOS
!