Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Confused About Dropped DVD Frames

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 13, 2012 1:48:34 AM

There is something I am misunderstanding about how video cards work and I need some help;

I just built a new AMD HTPC with a ECS A880GM-M7 motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
with a Phenom 840 quad-core,
and a Gigabyte GV-R545SL video card:

Despite all the latest chipset and GPU drivers, when displayed through a 42" TV, a played DVD is clearly dropping frames at the default 1920x1080 resolution.

But, when I dropped the Windows XP resolution to 1330x880 ( I think ), and lowered the color bit level to 16-bit, it played fine then through VLC Media player.

Question: should I not be able to play a DVD at full res, full color bit depth, without losing frames?
Or am I missing something?????
January 13, 2012 2:14:09 AM

Why XP? is it the Media Center flavor?

I am not familiar with that video card and am not going to look it up..

Does it have an HDMI output?>? If not forget a good full res picture, especially if you are using a VGA out put.
Score
January 13, 2012 9:45:53 AM

corroded said:
Why XP? is it the Media Center flavor?

I am not familiar with that video card and am not going to look it up..

Does it have an HDMI output?>? If not forget a good full res picture, especially if you are using a VGA out put.
It's XP Home. A VGA output would not strain the card, which I suspect is happening but,
I need an expert to verify.
Score
Related resources
January 13, 2012 10:45:19 AM

Copy that movie to pc then play the file in hdd ur problems has solved
Score
January 13, 2012 10:51:00 AM

In hp dvd drive 24x write speed i get 22mbps transfer rate to hdd, but hdd is more speed then dvd drives. So problem is dvd drive so play in hdd
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
January 13, 2012 10:51:27 AM

Are you trying to play DVD movies, or just movies in .avi or .mkv from DVD disc? It might be your DVD burner that's holding you, though it shouldn't happen with DVD movies, only with .avi or .mkv.
Score
January 13, 2012 11:16:51 AM

Sunius said:
Are you trying to play DVD movies, or just movies in .avi or .mkv from DVD disc? It might be your DVD burner that's holding you, though it shouldn't happen with DVD movies, only with .avi or .mkv.
Just playing commercial DVD.
I noticed something odd; VLC will play at the above stated resolution, but WMP won't - insisting the resolution is still too high. I will be adding a BD-ROM soon and I am concerned that this video card will not be sufficient if I am already having DVD playback problems with it....if it is the culprit...
but how do I find out??
Score
January 13, 2012 11:18:51 AM

hitechgowthaman said:
In hp dvd drive 24x write speed i get 22mbps transfer rate to hdd, but hdd is more speed then dvd drives. So problem is dvd drive so play in hdd
I need to be able to play discs with this HTPC
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
January 13, 2012 11:19:10 AM

Your video card is more than enough. My friend uses 2 screens to play 1080p movies on one and do rest of the work on GT 520, and it works fine. Could you try reinstalling the drivers? Maybe you have something running in the background that shouldn't be? Try turning on the task manager and see whether something is eating up your CPU resources.
Score
a c 175 U Graphics card
January 13, 2012 11:31:33 AM

Quote:
VLC will play at the above stated resolution, but WMP won't

Then don't use WMP. It's junk compared to VLC/GOM.
Score
January 13, 2012 11:40:44 AM

4745454b said:
Quote:
VLC will play at the above stated resolution, but WMP won't

Then don't use WMP. It's junk compared to VLC/GOM.
Agreed; I was just mentioning it as reference.

Sunius said:
Could you try reinstalling the drivers? Maybe you have something running in the background that shouldn't be?
It's a clean OS install, but I'll check tskmgr - never know - good idea.
I'll try re-downloading the drivers - nothing to lose - it's logical that that is where the problem should be.
Score

Best solution

January 13, 2012 11:56:35 AM

You could probably try messing around with VLC's settings to make sure hardware acceleration is enabled.
And check Catalyst's video settings as well to see what video features it has on or off.

If you really believe the GPU isn't strong enough, you can double check with GPU-Z or AMD system monitor to see if the GPU is being used 100 percent. The HD6xxx series is a bit better than HD5xxx for HD video though due to a newer version of UVD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Video_Decoder

a c 199 U Graphics card
January 13, 2012 12:01:30 PM

Especially since you want to play Blu-ray, you may want to consider a GPU upgrade to a HD6450; it can offload some of the decoding from the CPU.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2012 12:07:52 PM

VLC was newer able to play some dvd's for me ether (protection problems) or something i end up using PowerDVD, instead. you can try and download some programs and test, all got that 30day trial
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
January 13, 2012 2:20:29 PM

*ME being stupid again. He has HD5450, not GT545.*

I agree, you should consider upgrading your graphics card because for sure it will not play HD movies/shows. It should struggle even with DVD (if I'm correct).

I'd suggest you get GT520:

Or as jtt283 said, HD6450, if you prefer AMD/ATI over nVidia.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2012 3:09:11 PM

Your 5450 video card has hardware decoding. You should be able to set it to play at 1920x1080:

http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-rad...

Try using VLC again but make sure this option is set:

To enable hardware acceleration in VLC go:

Tools -> Preferences -> Input & Codecs -> check "Use GPU acceleration (experimental)"

It might say experimental, but i've been using HA for a while with VLC and it's been fine and I know it's working.

Also are you using the Dsub connector to connect to your TV? I don't thinK DSub's support 1080P resolution. Have you tried using the HDMI connector (if your TV has one)?

If I missed whether or not you were using which connector, from the above posts it doesnt seem clear.

If your trying to use windows media player try this out:

Go to TOols:

Options:

"Performance" tab

Make sure "Video acceleration" is set to "Full". If you don't have the DVD codec you might need a program which can decode DVDs like say power DVD.

Take a look at this old post:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/327121-33-3650-3850-1...

Might also want to try Pyrees suggestion.
Score
January 13, 2012 3:16:55 PM

I believe you are correct Sunius.
See if the provided screenshots confirm your beliefs that the GPU doesn't have enough heft;
Here is the card at idle

Here it is playing a video

If what I am seeing is correct, then the core and memory clocks are maxing out - what in the audio business we call clipping (if that is the correct term here...)

So, is a better video card what I need?
Score
January 13, 2012 3:23:01 PM

Noworldorder said:
I believe you are correct Sunius.
See if the provided screenshots confirm your beliefs that the GPU doesn't have enough heft;
Here is the card at idle
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m164/tygerrstar/Idle.jpg

Here it is playing a video
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m164/tygerrstar/Fullscreen.jpg
If what I am seeing is correct, then the core and memory clocks are maxing out - what in the audio business we call clipping (if that is the correct term here...)

So, is a better video card what I need?

The GPU clocks low at "idle" and speeds up to full clock speed when in use.

If you look under the GPU load line, it looks very low. You can click on the numbers to show the MAX.
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 13, 2012 3:24:11 PM

Noworld order - according to your screen shot Hardware acceleration is not even on. The second screen shot shows a GPU load of 0%.

Even your "low end" gpu should be able to use HA.
Score
a c 291 U Graphics card
January 13, 2012 3:34:44 PM

Try enabling hardware acceleration, and you need to look at GPU load, and you'll see it's barely used.
Score
January 13, 2012 3:55:07 PM

Friends, I assure you video acceleration is enabled; both in Windows and VLC.
I am wondering if the card has got a problem....

As a test I ran a blu-ray through my main computer, with GPU-Z running (Thanks for the tip Kinggraves), and yes....GPU Load and Video Engine Load are working hard providing smooth playback (on a monitor rather than a TV in this case but I am sure it would do as well on the TV), unlike the Gigabyte 5450.

I am going to replace that card and get back to you all.

I appreciate everyone's input and time. You have all been generous and helpful.
Score
January 13, 2012 11:59:01 PM

I have concluded that the Gigabyte 5450 video card is defective.
I replaced it with a new XFX 4670 I had laying around, and the video now plays back flawlessly.

While some may think their effort futile, please believe that I could not have resolved this without your help today.
Thank you.
Score
January 14, 2012 11:06:27 AM

Best answer selected by Noworldorder.
Score
!