Sign in with
Your question

Phenom ii vs fx

Last response: in CPUs
July 2, 2012 1:15:16 PM

hello,

im planning on upgrading my computer soon, in the next 2 weeks or so.
im changing the mobo, cpu and maybe ram (not to sure on ram yet, see if money will stretch)

currently ive got an athlon ii x3 425, but for games its pritty weak,
so i looked at the phenom ii x6 1055t and the fx 8150..
which one will perform better for games, and as an all rounder?
i will be OCing the cpu.

also im getting an asus sabertooth 990fx for my new mobo.

ive already got a corsair cx500 psu, a radeon hd 6870 (getting another in time) 8gb ddr3 1333mhz ram and a xclio a380 case.

what difference will i see if i buy different ram as in going from 1333 to 1866mhz??? will it be a majoy difference of is it not worth it?

thanks very much
marc

More about : phenom

July 2, 2012 1:46:41 PM

Having a lot of cores does not really help much in games, I'd recommend going for a powerful quad core instead.

If you want to stick with AMD it's fine, but you should also consider an intel i5 processor. Look at benchmarks, the 2500K is more than capable, and overclocks as well. Of course, you would need a compatible motherboard.

Having too fast memory provides little to no additional performance. DDR3@1333MHz is fine with the i5-2500K.

Important: Game performance might not increase much unless you upgrade your graphics too, unless you play games that rely a lot on your CPU, like Minecraft.
July 2, 2012 1:54:38 PM

i upgraded my athlon ii 430 to a phenom ii x4 965 and clocked it to 4.2. i wish i could have found a 970, 975 or 980 but those chips are next to impossible to find. but i don't think the higher parts would have increased my overclock by much anyway...

the bulldozer chips are weak for gaming in general. the x4 (over)clocks higher than the x6 and more than 4 cores for the purpose of gaming makes no sense.

a 500 wat psu for a gaming rig seems low and i'm fairly certain that you won't be able to run a second 6870 from that psu.

higher speed ram makes almost no sense. the speed increase is academic, not noticable.

if you plan to buy a new motherboard, consider going to intel and get a i5 2500k if the main purpose is playing games.

just my 5c.
Related resources
July 2, 2012 2:51:38 PM

i think illl stick with amd people lol, ive always used it...
ino about my psu, that for the time being, i did say i was getting a new gpu but not yet, the psu has only got 2 6pin connectors anyway but i only bought it to use my gpu. i am going to buy another 6870 and run them in crossfire when i get some more money lmao

i would be using the cpu for cad/cam aswell, and browsing etc, so its not solely for games, so which one would you lean towards now??

as for the ram thats fine, i just didnt know what the difference was other than speed. would 8gb be enough for what i want to use the pc for?? or should i get 16?

thanks for all the help
July 2, 2012 3:57:58 PM

Well, the FX-8150 would be my choice between the two for sure.

As far as amount of memory goes, 8GB is more than enough for any game I would know about. If you are in need of more, you would probably know.
July 2, 2012 4:00:46 PM

sounds, no probs there then...
thanks very much, well its only 150quid anyway so ill order that soon.

well ill soon see about the ram when i get it all sorted
a c 283 à CPUs
July 2, 2012 4:03:54 PM

My suggestion is to wait for Piledriver (October). If you absolutely can't or won't do that, a 965 BE is the best option. There's not much sense in getting a Bulldozer CPU right now when Piledriver is coming relatively soon.
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2012 5:07:38 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
My suggestion is to wait for Piledriver (October). If you absolutely can't or won't do that, a 965 BE is the best option. There's not much sense in getting a Bulldozer CPU right now when Piledriver is coming relatively soon.

+1

I agree with this buying FX Bulldozer is just money down the toilet if you have to buy get a cheaper Phenom II. 965BE great gamer, the 1055T is more if you do things other than game that need the 2 extra cores.

http://www.cclonline.com/product/26600/HDZ965FBGMBOX/CP...

88 quid push it to around 3.7GHz (980BE speeds) on stock cooler or add a better cooler and try for 4GHz, if you want to outgame that OC'd with FX bulldozer your going to spend more than twice as much for the CPU and the insane cooler you will need to hit a silly OC to beat the OC'd Phenom II........ at which point you may as well have bought an i5.
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2012 9:11:30 PM

I wouldn't say that much, FX CPU's can be pushed to much higher clockspeeds and comparing one overclcocked procssor to another at stock speeds isn't exactly fair.

A FX processor at 4.5Ghz - which isn't unheard of or hard to reach - more or less equals a PHII @ 4Ghz. http://www.ebuyer.com/amd-morecashback AMD currently also have a cashback on their unlocked CPU's.

Though if I were in your position I would wait till PD to be released.
a c 88 à CPUs
July 2, 2012 9:53:22 PM

marcd2011 said:
i think illl stick with amd people lol, ive always used it...

Thats like saying "ill stick to drinking beer, even though they changed the recipe to cat piss"
a c 283 à CPUs
July 2, 2012 9:55:56 PM

iam2thecrowe said:
Thats like saying "ill stick to drinking beer, even though they changed the recipe to cat piss"

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 12:19:50 AM

If youre going to overclock then the FX line is the best way to go. I recently went from a 1090 up to my current 8150 and at stock speeds, the 1090 walked all over my shiny new FX. However, my 1090 topped out at 4.0 GHz while this FX is already at 4.35 at near stock voltage and at this clock, its slightly faster than my old X6. Ill be getting a H100 in the next couple weeks and then Ill be heading on up to 4.5 or hopefully 4.6 at which point, it will be significantly faster than my old X6.

Even if you dont want to do any serious overclocking, my 4.35 is with almost stock voltage and with a $30 Hyper 212+ and its faster than a 4 GHz 1090 so you dont have to go thermonuclear on it if you dont want to.

And the Sabertooth 990FX is the best AMD motherboard on the planet. Good choice. ;) 
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 8:26:34 AM

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=362

Thats 8150 against 980BE it wins alot of the video related stuff but loses out in 3 of the 4 games tested despite its higher clock.

Anyway

8150 + a 990FX sabertooth is going to set you back about £270 (after the £20 cashback on the CPU)

Phenom II and same motherboard will knock you back just over £200 and give very similar performance

i5 3570k and a good z77 board will knock you back about £285 thats £15 more than the FX for something thats vastly better.

FX 81xx CPU's just can't justify their price you can game just as well or better for £70 less or you can game and do alot of other things ALOT better for just £15 more.

They have the cashback to try and shift it off the shelves before Piledriver makes it obsolete and even less wanted.

a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 8:27:26 AM

*edited to remove double post*

a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 3:48:26 AM

wr6133 said:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=362

Thats 8150 against 980BE it wins alot of the video related stuff but loses out in 3 of the 4 games tested despite its higher clock.

Anyway

8150 + a 990FX sabertooth is going to set you back about £270 (after the £20 cashback on the CPU)

Phenom II and same motherboard will knock you back just over £200 and give very similar performance

i5 3570k and a good z77 board will knock you back about £285 thats £15 more than the FX for something thats vastly better.

FX 81xx CPU's just can't justify their price you can game just as well or better for £70 less or you can game and do alot of other things ALOT better for just £15 more.

They have the cashback to try and shift it off the shelves before Piledriver makes it obsolete and even less wanted.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=185

Compare them when the FX is 600 MHz faster which is about the difference when both are overclocked cause most Phenoms top out at 3.9 or 4.0 where most FX chips can handle 4.5+ with little problem. When comparing with a 600 MHz difference, the FX wins almost every benchmark and 3 of the 4 gaming benchies. So FX is slower out of the box but it has more potential and if youre willing to overclock it pretty good, youll get a nice upgrade over a Phenom.

As for price, you can get a 8120 for $170 and a Sabertooth for $180. Thats compared to a $230 for a 3570K and $250 for the Z77 Sabertooth. Thats a $130 price difference.
a c 186 à CPUs
July 4, 2012 3:53:51 AM

# of users that are willing to overclock compared to # of users that are not willing overclock.

Sorry dude, but FX is not a good choice at all!
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 4:04:55 AM

And if youre not wanting to overclock, then Intel is for you. If you do want to overclock then FX is a perfectly fine choice. You can save some money that you can put towards a better GPU and youll be set.

Im not trying to say that FX is better than Intel, Im just tired of reading about how my computer wont even be able to boot into Windows with an FX proc in it and I maintain that you can build a perfectly capable and great performing rig with a AMD proc. The AMD hate is just getting stupid these days. Ive had several AMD powered rigs and all performed great. My current one is playing anything on the market at max settings including Crysis, Crysis 2, Metro, Batman AC DX11 and everything else.
a c 186 à CPUs
July 4, 2012 4:09:28 AM

Because AMD was originally a copy of Intel!

Anyways, there barely is any market for enthusiast PC's anymore. It's just your average joe, that's how AMD gets any sales because the "average" joe doesn't know anything about processors. They just look at clock speeds, and the FX chips are binned higher so produce more appealing clock speeds.

There's no point of purchasing an FX processor when you can purchase a Phenom, or an Intel CPU!
July 4, 2012 2:50:52 PM

OP, wait a month or two if you want an AMD processor. One of two things will happen, you'll get the 10%-15% increase in performance that the "Trinity" processors are demonstrating. Or you'll get a cheaper 8150, just wait.
a b à CPUs
July 4, 2012 3:13:27 PM

Trinity desktop procs arent due out til October so itll be a 3 month wait. Then Piledriver will be due out after than then Haswell just a few months after that. Thats why I usually dont suggest waiting if youre in need of an upgrade because there will always be something newer, faster and cheaper due out right around the corner. If you need something now, just buy it now. ;) 
!