Photo in Backlit Lightbox

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
June 8, 2005 2:17:05 PM

Not sure if this is the best newsgroup for feedback on this, but I'll give
it a try...

I would like to fit a 13x19" borderless inkjet print into a backlit light
box that is 16x20". In the past I printed out 4 sections of black ink
rectangles and taped them around the edges of the back of the print to make
the final size 16x20", then I laminated this to make it more seamless and
durable. This was a pain in the ass. I am hoping to find better solution. I
would like to create some sort of front piece that would have the correct
black border on it, maybe it would be laminated or attached to a thin piece
of Plexiglas, then just tape (?) the print to the inside of it, thus
allowing me to more easily rotate a variety of prints without having to tape
the borders to each print.

I could possibly do it as if I was framing a photo and use a mat, but I've
never really done much of that. I would also think that if it was something
that I print out, I could still put some graphics or text on the black
border pieces. Just not sure how to put all this together?

16x20" for the light box would allow me to make the largest possible prints.
Most lightboxes I've found that are smaller, are a LOT smaller and still
cost close to the 16x20, which seems to be a fairly standard size, and thus
more reasonably priced. I am also looking for an inexpensive source for
lightboxes of any size 16x20" and less. I found some small 9.5x11" boxes
that were only $25 ea. for quantities of 10, but generally I'm looking for
something larger.

Thanks,

Don

More about : photo backlit lightbox

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 3:53:07 AM

Don wrote:
> Not sure if this is the best newsgroup for feedback on this, but I'll give
> it a try...
>
> I would like to fit a 13x19" borderless inkjet print into a backlit light
> box that is 16x20". In the past I printed out 4 sections of black ink
> rectangles and taped them around the edges of the back of the print to make
> the final size 16x20", then I laminated this to make it more seamless and
> durable. This was a pain in the ass. I am hoping to find better solution. I
> would like to create some sort of front piece that would have the correct
> black border on it, maybe it would be laminated or attached to a thin piece
> of Plexiglas, then just tape (?) the print to the inside of it, thus
> allowing me to more easily rotate a variety of prints without having to tape
> the borders to each print.
>
> I could possibly do it as if I was framing a photo and use a mat, but I've
> never really done much of that. I would also think that if it was something
> that I print out, I could still put some graphics or text on the black
> border pieces. Just not sure how to put all this together?
>
> 16x20" for the light box would allow me to make the largest possible prints.
> Most lightboxes I've found that are smaller, are a LOT smaller and still
> cost close to the 16x20, which seems to be a fairly standard size, and thus
> more reasonably priced. I am also looking for an inexpensive source for
> lightboxes of any size 16x20" and less. I found some small 9.5x11" boxes
> that were only $25 ea. for quantities of 10, but generally I'm looking for
> something larger.

> Thanks,
>
> Don
I'm not sure what you really want to end up with.
Are you trying to illuminate an inkjet print on paper with a litebox?
Why?
What is your final objective?
Bob Williams
June 9, 2005 6:23:19 PM

Yes. I've already done it before. It looks awesome. But it's really not
paper it's more of a film material. It's not specifically meant for
backlighting, but the stuff that I tried once that once meant for this was
horrible.

Final objective is to display illuminated photos. They look great, but thats
not what I'm asking about. I'm just trying to find an easier way to "black
out" the area of a 16x20" lightbox that a 13x19" print won't cover.

Make sense?

Don

"Bob Williams" <mytbobnospam@cox.net> wrote in message

> Don wrote:
> > Not sure if this is the best newsgroup for feedback on this, but I'll
give
> > it a try...
> >
> > I would like to fit a 13x19" borderless inkjet print into a backlit
light
> > box that is 16x20". In the past I printed out 4 sections of black ink
> > rectangles and taped them around the edges of the back of the print to
make
> > the final size 16x20", then I laminated this to make it more seamless
and
> > durable. This was a pain in the ass. I am hoping to find better
solution. I
> > would like to create some sort of front piece that would have the
correct
> > black border on it, maybe it would be laminated or attached to a thin
piece
> > of Plexiglas, then just tape (?) the print to the inside of it, thus
> > allowing me to more easily rotate a variety of prints without having to
tape
> > the borders to each print.
> >
> > I could possibly do it as if I was framing a photo and use a mat, but
I've
> > never really done much of that. I would also think that if it was
something
> > that I print out, I could still put some graphics or text on the black
> > border pieces. Just not sure how to put all this together?
> >
> > 16x20" for the light box would allow me to make the largest possible
prints.
> > Most lightboxes I've found that are smaller, are a LOT smaller and still
> > cost close to the 16x20, which seems to be a fairly standard size, and
thus
> > more reasonably priced. I am also looking for an inexpensive source for
> > lightboxes of any size 16x20" and less. I found some small 9.5x11" boxes
> > that were only $25 ea. for quantities of 10, but generally I'm looking
for
> > something larger.

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Don
> I'm not sure what you really want to end up with.
> Are you trying to illuminate an inkjet print on paper with a litebox?
> Why?
> What is your final objective?
> Bob Williams

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 6:25:22 PM

In article <YpmdnckM_ZmJFTXfRVn-gw@wideopenwest.com>, "Don" <d@d.com>
wrote:

> I'm just trying to find an easier way to "black
> out" the area of a 16x20" lightbox that a 13x19" print won't cover.

Opaque black or other colored plastic cut to size with an opening for
the print size.

But there are companies that make boxes of different sizes specifically
for this application. If you don't know of any look in the
"presentation" market for illuminated wall boxes for trade exhibits.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
Anonymous

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:23:19 -0700, Don wrote:

> Final objective is to display illuminated photos. They look great, but thats
> not what I'm asking about. I'm just trying to find an easier way to "black
> out" the area of a 16x20" lightbox that a 13x19" print won't cover.

Would covering a 13"x19" portion of the 16"x20" lightbox with
masking tape, and then going over the uncovered portion of the
lightbox with a spray can of black enamel or some other suitable
black opaque material work? I vaguely recall from the distant past
using some epoxy based spray paints that might be more heat
resistant.
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 8:19:21 AM

Don <d@d.com> wrote:

: Final objective is to display illuminated photos. They look great, but
: thats not what I'm asking about. I'm just trying to find an easier way
: to "black out" the area of a 16x20" lightbox that a 13x19" print won't
: cover.

I have some ideas. First you mentioned previously that you want to be able
to change images from time to time. Are the images the same size? If so, a
single "frame" made from a piece of poster board cut to fit the frame and
the image that the image can be taped to the back of. Or if the light in
the box is bright enough that anything blocking the light will be just a
dark shadow, you could use tape (masking, stripeing, plastic packageing,
etc) either on top of the glass plate (that supports the image) or on the
back side of the plate. The tape idea could even be used in conjunction
with tempra paints applied to the front (while the tape blocks most of the
light from the back) of the glass and the image is applied to the back of
the glass. This way you can use water (or a glass cleaner fluid like
Windex) to remove the paint if you wish to "retheme" the frame. If you
skip the light blocking tape in the paint idea, you could even have the
frame illuminated as well as the photo. But you would have to be sure to
use an image mounting method that is transparent. Possibly puting the
photo between two pieces of glass.

Maybe one of these ideas will help, or inspire some variation of your own.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
September 6, 2005 10:52:02 AM

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 10:17:05 -0700, "Don" <d@d.com> wrote:

>Not sure if this is the best newsgroup for feedback on this, but I'll give
>it a try...
>
>I would like to fit a 13x19" borderless inkjet print into a backlit light
>box that is 16x20". In the past I printed out 4 sections of black ink
>rectangles and taped them around the edges of the back of the print to make
>the final size 16x20", then I laminated this to make it more seamless and
>durable. This was a pain in the ass. I am hoping to find better solution. I
>would like to create some sort of front piece that would have the correct
>black border on it, maybe it would be laminated or attached to a thin piece
>of Plexiglas, then just tape (?) the print to the inside of it, thus
>allowing me to more easily rotate a variety of prints without having to tape
>the borders to each print.
>
>I could possibly do it as if I was framing a photo and use a mat, but I've
>never really done much of that. I would also think that if it was something
>that I print out, I could still put some graphics or text on the black
>border pieces. Just not sure how to put all this together?
>
>16x20" for the light box would allow me to make the largest possible prints.
>Most lightboxes I've found that are smaller, are a LOT smaller and still
>cost close to the 16x20, which seems to be a fairly standard size, and thus
>more reasonably priced. I am also looking for an inexpensive source for
>lightboxes of any size 16x20" and less. I found some small 9.5x11" boxes
>that were only $25 ea. for quantities of 10, but generally I'm looking for
>something larger.
>
>Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Don

I am not sure if I understand the project but it seems to me that you
could have the black boarder silk screened to on side of the
plexiglass and then tape the print to that boarder?

Might be a bit expensive but you could have several made at one time
and have spares.
!