NEW BUILD needing advice/suggestions

oddlyinsane

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Hello guys, this is going to be my first ever build and i would like some feedback on the parts that i have chosen. I will most likely be playing games, however they are not that demanding and do not need a powerful graphics card.

intel core i5 2500k
asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3
gigabyte 6850 oc
gskill 8gb ram
seagate barracuda 500gb 7200.12
bitfenix merc alpha midi case
ocz fatal1ty 750w modular psu
standard dvd burner
windows 7
21.5" LG monitor @1080p

So this will be my likely setup, and i am hoping to get it before ivy bridge arrives. The reason why i went with the asrock mobo and the 750w power supply is so then i will have the option to crossfire if needed. i am hoping that this build will last me a couple years. I may want to upgrade during that time. But for now, i just want to clarify if i indeed did a good job at picking the parts :)

btw, will touching my case discharge any static and thus ground myself?

Thanks,
Oddly

Solution
Yes, touching the case before working on the components will discharge static, although your best bet to be safe is to wear an anti-static wrist strap. They aren't terribly expensive, shouldn't cost you more than $5 bucks. Heck, I got a whole tool kit (with a grounding strap) from newegg for $20.

Your setup looks pretty good, personally, I would consider investing in a better case. Yes, that one is adequate, but its pretty chinsy.

Thats my personal preference anyway, why buy nice components and put them in a dime store case? My build originally used a 60 dollar Sentey case, I didn't like it from the get go once I got it all hooked up, wire management was a mess, I had to remove 2 of the 4 hard drive trays to make room for my unused...

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Your setup looks good - maybe not the exact stuff I'd pick - but not junk either. I'd think you would want to wait until after the IB's get here. Might be some $ lowering at that point. Maybe not though. Intel knows it has a winner with the i5. :D

Yes, touching the case before working on the components will discharge static, although your best bet to be safe is to wear an anti-static wrist strap. They aren't terribly expensive, shouldn't cost you more than $5 bucks. Heck, I got a whole tool kit (with a grounding strap) from newegg for $20.

Your setup looks pretty good, personally, I would consider investing in a better case. Yes, that one is adequate, but its pretty chinsy.

Thats my personal preference anyway, why buy nice components and put them in a dime store case? My build originally used a 60 dollar Sentey case, I didn't like it from the get go once I got it all hooked up, wire management was a mess, I had to remove 2 of the 4 hard drive trays to make room for my unused PSU wires,and overall it was cheap feeling and fragile,. The final straw was installing my aftermarket CPU cooler, the side panel wouldn't close because the panel fan was in the way. I ended up getting so disgusted with it, I bought the 130 dollar case I should have bought to begin with.

BTW, the case I have is the NXZT Phantom, its a cool looking case, really good quality material, and more space in it you could ever ask for.

Solution