Sign in with
Your question

Comp Crashing.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 2, 2012 3:12:15 PM

I've had an issue for a few weeks now where my computer crashes during some games. Or just randomly resets itself, even if idle. My specs are
Intel pentium D CPU 2.80ghz
Ram 4 GB (not sure if that's right?)
NVidia Geforce 7800 GTX
160 GB harddrive.
I'm at a constant 90% CPU usage even when idle but i've run spyware and antivirus programs with nothing popping up so far. So I'm very lost right now.

More about : comp crashing

July 2, 2012 8:10:41 PM

When you say it crashes, can you describe in more detail what happens e.g. freezes, BSOD, or what. It might be faulty memory, a problem with your PSU, or perhaps less likely the graphics card. When this first occurred can you remember if you changed anything like put new memory sticks in?

Download and install CCleaner and use it to remove junk files and to inspect programmes which initiate at startup. Allow only those which are key to successful startup, disable the rest - don't delete them in case there is one which you need to allow.

Do a virus check.

Hope this helps. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I can assist when you provide additional info.
m
l
July 2, 2012 9:01:51 PM

Your CPU staying at %90 usage, sounds like you may have a virus. I know you said you've run some programs, but they don't always catch them. Do you get blue screen during any of these freezes?
m
l
Related resources
July 2, 2012 9:51:58 PM

Try several antivirus programmes as they all operate slightly differently. I have used Spybot search and destroy, Malwarebytes, and anti rootkits such as Blacklight. Obtain them from a reliable source.
m
l
July 2, 2012 10:12:15 PM

Look in the task manager and see what is causing the CPU utilization.

Hold down CTRL + SHIFT + ESCAPE all at once.
m
l
July 3, 2012 8:45:26 PM

Uhh when it crashes all it does is just turn off on it's own. Sometimes it beeps then turns off or the screen flashes black then turns off but it's usually just complete shutdown. When I restart it I get the windows suffered an unexpected shutdown would you like to 1. safemode. 2 safemode plus command prompt. 3 start normally. No blue screens of death or anything when it shuts down.
m
l
July 3, 2012 8:48:20 PM

Oh the first time it happened a friend of mine who does good work with building computers put it together for me. I brought it home and nothing happened. It worked fine. Two days later I decide to play league of legends and that's when the first shutoff happened. I was like how odd and tried to run fallout new vegas. Ran for an hour then same thing happened. Just turned off. And any games that are really graphic intense seems to have the same issue. Or if i'm playing a flash game and load a youtube video then the computer shuts down as well.
m
l
July 4, 2012 9:05:48 AM

I think its a memory issue. I've had similar experiences of random shutdowns which were caused by a bad stick. Remove all Memory sticks except one, restart computer and continue reinstalling until you find the stick which is bad. Make sure everything is seated correctly as you do this.

Re your CPU utilisation, have you tried the suggestions offered?

Cheers
m
l
July 5, 2012 1:49:10 AM

Rumbletum said:
I think its a memory issue. I've had similar experiences of random shutdowns which were caused by a bad stick. Remove all Memory sticks except one, restart computer and continue reinstalling until you find the stick which is bad. Make sure everything is seated correctly as you do this.

Re your CPU utilisation, have you tried the suggestions offered?

Cheers

So I should take out the memory sticks. Load up one of the games. Play it out/crash. Then try again?
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
July 5, 2012 2:56:31 AM

Spontaneous shutdown is more often a PSU problem than anything else.

For memory, you can run memtest86 overnight and see if anything turns up.
m
l
July 5, 2012 5:15:57 PM

ChuToriama said:
So I should take out the memory sticks. Load up one of the games. Play it out/crash. Then try again?

The objective is to identify what if any sticks are bad. IF all show bad in my limited experience that would be unusual, and thus perhaps sign of a PSU problem
m
l
July 5, 2012 9:17:40 PM

I recall that when my friend was putting my pc together we had to switch the PSU about 6 times to find one that would run everything. But when it occurred I asked if it might be that but he swears it can't be. The PSU i have now is the one he recently had until he upgraded his.
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
July 5, 2012 9:22:39 PM

Second-hand PSU, what brand+model and how old is it counting from you friend's original purchase date?
m
l
July 6, 2012 1:19:27 AM

With those specs, it shouldn't need to be more than 300W PSU but it could be overheating too, if it's old...but this seems to be pointing at the graphics card, something causing it to shut down when you have intensive graphics up...
m
l
July 6, 2012 5:43:35 AM

Uhmm how do i tell what the make and model of the psu is? I have very limited knowledge when it comes to this. I'm better at coding then hardware.
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
July 6, 2012 6:28:33 AM

ChuToriama said:
Uhmm how do i tell what the make and model of the psu is?

Open the PC's case and there should be a label somewhere on the PSU with model number, output ratings and other info. If you are unlucky, that label may be located on a side of the PSU you cannot see while it is installed, in which case you may have to take it out to read it.

If you are really unlucky, it may be an unmarked unit.
m
l
July 6, 2012 6:53:48 AM

Found it thanks. It's a seventeam 750w V-force. And I noticed something. Right before it crashes now it freezes and the sounds screeches before it shuts down now.
m
l
July 6, 2012 6:55:49 AM

Oh and my friend said he's had the PSU for about 5 months.
m
l
July 25, 2012 7:29:11 AM

Have yet to get an answer or a fix.
m
l
August 17, 2012 8:33:42 PM

... you never answered what is causing "I'm at a constant 90% CPU usage even when idle " Find what is causing the CPU utilization and fix that first.
m
l
!