Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyPower

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hello there.
I come from Greece, so English is not my native language.
A month ago i got an EVGA 460 and two days ago got a second one, from the same store ( and i assume from the same stack ). Checked the Firmwares etc etc. all ok.
Having the bridge on, starting a 3D application using the SLI, causes my eyes to start crying, and having psychedelic effects. The screen is flashing and flickering so fast, i could have dmged by brain. My marathon just started.

Ill list the equipment here, and i'll then tell you what i have done.
STAGE 1) Fight!

Mobo : MSI p6n SLI platinum
CPU : Q6600 B3 (not oc now)
GPU : EVGA 460 FPB x2
PSU : HEC 550W
DIMM : 2x2GB and 2x1 Mushkin ( i know )
HDD : 2x250GB Seagate RAID 0

STAGE 2) FINISH HIM!

Ok, what i did, was search the inet for this effect. This effect some guys suggested that may be caused due to driver. Rolling back to driver 260.89 was the easiest way (using driver sweeper n stuff). Problem occured again on 3d Application (furmark). tried then to install all the drivers i had availalble from inet and from backups. nothing changed that flickering.

Secondly, i read more, and i came across someone suggesting that 90% of these cases is caused to defective Bridges. Tried to unplug it, shake it, even removed the ok sticks and cleaned it (im an electronic engineer, i know these things, and its low quality made) didnt help. Well, i started asking friends if someone had. noone had. Lokking the next day at the stores (DAMN YOU GREECE!), took me 8 hours, but found one the exact same as i had, solid MSI sli connector. went home, tested it, SAME things! tested all the combinations of drivers and bridges

Last, i checked the PSU. The psu should be fine, but in case, i took a 400W HEC again (love em) and used it for the SECOND GPU. first main GPU is running from PSU 550W, and second one from 400W but the 2nd one is using 2x4pin to 6pin converters. The 12V gives on both PSU 18A. Maybe the Amperes are not enough, but would like your opinions. Is it PSU? And please, i need numbers. Just dont say YES! PSU. You know, Greece, cant afford that much money for a new PSU.

Conclusion:
Tested Drivers CHECK!
Tested Bridge CHECK!
Tested PSU (i think!) CHECK!

Need new ideas. Thanks for bearing my english, and im sorry for that.

SpyPower

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Update!!!

Well, today i got a 3rd SLI bridge, Asus this time.
Didnt change anything.
Also tried to do some s%$ over n there, like removing the 2nd psu so it could provide power to mobo, while the bigger one 550W was used only from the GPU's. Nothing happened, nothing changed.

BUT
somewhere i remembered i saw a post (the 43214324231th i've read in 3 days) saying that you can enable SLI without the bridge.
Digging up the pile of dusty forums n such, i found a driver 258.96 that could enable SLi even without the SLI bridge on. that was the last the guy said. So.. i didnt have to lose anything. Installed and BAM! Sli was working, and no flickering on Furmark so far. havent tested anything yet. What does that say? both MSI bridges AND Asus bridge are faulty?

SpyPower

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
HUGE Update!

After again, hours of trying, errors etc etc, i told my pal, who owns a 460 FPB, same as mine, to go at his place, so i could check on my computer his cards, and mine.

Oh well, when i unplugged one of my cards, and plugged his, the error vanished. Upgraded drivers, to the newest beta 259, and there was no flickering.

I couldnt imagine that my card would be RMAed, cause they were working on that old driver. But.. oh well, one of my cards is flaued and needs to be replaced.

Thread can be locked down. One more time, i've alone solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS