Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Performance & Gaming <Quiet PC> New Build Advice

Last response: in Systems
March 19, 2012 12:43:25 AM

Hello All,

I am in the process of building a new rig and would like some advice on my build.

Approximate Purchase Date: In Process Now

Budget Range: $800 - $1100 (Expandable on Need)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Video Editing, Gaming, Secondary Work, etc... * The first two are the most important *

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Printer, Graphics Card & Case

Parts Preferences:by brand or type: No Preference

Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe: Not sure yet, would like to learn more about it before I determine this.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes / No / Maybe: ???

Monitor Resolution:( e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200)

Additional Comments: I've picked out the parts that I think I would like to use and they are the following...
Case / Tower: Antec Sonata Solo II - I purchased this case already from Newegg.
MB: I'm thinking the ASUS P8Z68 $194.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
CPU: i7 2600k to pair with the MB $324.99
Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 560 - I purchased this a while back for Christmas
Memory: DDR 3, I am not too sure on what to use here. I do know that I want to have at least 16GB, I was looking at the following...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... Any thoughts?
SSD HD: Looking for the best deal with 120 GB.
Mass Storage: I have 1 TB, and I also have to 1.5 TB that I rotate for back ups.
Case Fans / Coolents: What would you recommend for internal fans, I do want to make sure I get the best performace.
PSU: I'm not too sure on this one yet either, suggestions would be nice. I want to make sure that it will be sufficiant for the PC.

This will be running Windows 7 64bit Ult and I want to make sure that it runs the Adobe Master Suite CS5.5 efficiantly.

Thanks for taking time to help me out.

More about : performance gaming quiet build advice

March 19, 2012 1:10:12 AM

I'm fairly sure that an i5-2500k will suffice for most games. Your GPU isn't high quality enough (no offense) to need an overclocked i7 2600k. Apart from that, additional fans will increase the sound level, and you said you wanted both quiet and performance. I would think that if you were to overclock, a Hyper 212 (I think it's 212) CPU fan would make a difference. Apart from that, I don't think case fans will make a massive difference in price.

Just a question: What's your resolution, and what games are you running? That will help most people help you
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2012 3:23:20 AM

Thanks guys.

No offense taken on the GPU, I bought it off a friend for under retail so it was worth it at the time $$$ wise and I can always upgrade it down the road. The main game I want to be able to run is BF3 and whatever comes out in the future. As traumaiv stated though, video editing and graphics are going to be huge on this. I am going to be running Adobe products such as Premier, Photoshop, After Effects, and I don't want to short myself on the processor.

Thank you for that PC Builder site, I had never seen it before. I am fairly new to PC building so I am doing my best to learn what I can rather than pay someone to do it for me and that site will come in real handy.

Thanks for the fan idea as well, I am reading reviews on it now. In addition what are your thoughts on the liquid cooling set ups? I do live in AZ and unfortunatly my home office does get pretty warm come summer time and I want to make sure I don't have any heat issues, is it worth it? I was looking at one of the Antec products for 64.99 (I think that was the price) and thought that may be a pretty good idea.
m
l

Best solution

April 4, 2012 2:29:45 PM

Sorry, I know this is kind of late. Liquid cooling is for pretty extreme overclocking. Your temperature where you live won't make all that much of a difference, since the most variable it'll get is like 50 degrees Fahrenheit above average room temperature (at really extreme weather), or about 10 degrees Celsius. While that is pretty hefty, I am assuming you will have:
1) Air conditioning
2) Your case NOT IN THE SUN
3) Your case on the ground... where cool air accumulates

I don't think liquid cooling should be bought because of the temperatures you live in. It should be bought if you want to do pretty extreme overclocking. As long as your case is taking IN cool air (and it will probably be taking in air that's 26 Celsius at the most), it doesn't matter what the temperature is. Also, I didn't see your video editing thing. Yeah, the 2600k is great for all that.

Lastly, the pcpartpicker site is VERY helpful. It'll find you the best deals price-wise on everything, and even has a price tracker (with a graph!!!). Don't use it to find the BEST parts.. use it to find the best DEAL on parts.
April 27, 2012 7:10:56 PM

Thanks again, I'm still in the process of getting everything, I appricaite the advice.
m
l
April 27, 2012 9:11:46 PM

Best answer selected by schmitt3r.
m
l
!