New Build!

mtzid14

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
i need some opinions on the products i have chosen for this build,

it could be over clocked in the future but for now it will not be. the computer will be for some game play, word and online browsing.

To start off

CASE
Cooler Master CM Storm Scout ATX Gaming Computer Case

Motherboard
P8Z68-M PRO LGA 1155 Z68 mATX Intel Motherboard

CPU
Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Graphics Card
GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1024mb

RAM
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

HDD
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM

Power Supply
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Modular Power Supply

That is the build i have so far, not worried about an optic drive.

Anyone see any issues, or any idea's on something better then what have so far?

Solution
I would like to start off by saying that there's nothing just inherently wrong with the build you listed here, it will work as is. That being said though there is still considerable room for improvement and you really should state your budget so we know what to work with.

First, the CPU. If you ever plan on overclocking (you said "could be") you need to get a CPU with a K designation, which means the CPU has an unlocked multiplier. As it happens, the 2500k is only $10 on Newegg than the base 2500. I highly suggest just getting the 2500k to keep the overclocking road open.

Second, your GPU. The AMD 6790 is priced about roughly the same and will outperform it.

Third, you didn't mention the possibility of SLI/Xfire and the mobo doesn't...

Grand_Admiral_K

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2011
I would like to start off by saying that there's nothing just inherently wrong with the build you listed here, it will work as is. That being said though there is still considerable room for improvement and you really should state your budget so we know what to work with.

First, the CPU. If you ever plan on overclocking (you said "could be") you need to get a CPU with a K designation, which means the CPU has an unlocked multiplier. As it happens, the 2500k is only $10 on Newegg than the base 2500. I highly suggest just getting the 2500k to keep the overclocking road open.

Second, your GPU. The AMD 6790 is priced about roughly the same and will outperform it.

Third, you didn't mention the possibility of SLI/Xfire and the mobo doesn't support it. So, there's absolutely no need for a 750 Watt powersupply. That's overkill and then some for this build. 450 Watts would be more than enough for this build.If you want a great power saver one I can't suggest this one enough...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371054
If you're absolutely wanting a modular one check this one out...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256065

Solution

mtzid14

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012
lol oops my bad my budget is right around 800$

the reason for the 750 was a local store had a sale on it but its not a big deal would rather save some money on the power bill.

if i switch to an AMD 6790 will the 500w power supply handle that graphics card and everything else?

ok i'll grab the i5 2500k in stead