People trying to rank up

bwitz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Hello.

I appreciate all of the enthusiasm I have received in response to some of my questions lately but I can't help but feel some people are replying in order to boost their rating, rather than spread good advice.

Sometimes they are so far away from the original question, I wonder if they even read it.

Anyone else notice this?

Otherwise, I have no other complaints with TH. I have been coming here off and on for advice for a few years, and always recommend it to people that need advice.

Thanks and have a great day!

Bwitz

No way. Every single post here is made with the sincerest of intent. Nobody would ever "pad" their points here at Tom's Hardware, NEVER ! :ange: :ange: :ange:

I offer this thread
HERE as proof. There are 3 pages so read it all, then decide.

Laugh.gif

I rest my case.

BTW, I got 4 points for answering you.. thanks :D

I have to agree with tigsounds. +4

Relax, the purpose of this forum is to spread the knowledge as well as for talks sometimes (although that should be strictly on PM or on the Beyond the Keyboard section).

They may have more points and have high rank. But if they talk nonsense, they will never get best answer and will not get any badge. So check the number of badge as well.

randomizer

Champion
Some people do just try to improve their rank. Others think they know the answer but don't. Others simply don't read properly. In all 3 cases the thread can start to go off on a tangent and people who could otherwise answer the question end up talking about something else. It's common on any forum and it reflects the way conversations change topic over time.

If you feel that your thread is going too far off topic then feel free to PM a moderator. In most cases we'll simply ask that people keep on topic, but if a few pages have gone by we may simply request that you repost the thread.

bwitz

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010

Ah yes. I suppose I should have read that thread, all 3 pages, before I started this one. It appears someone already beat me to the punch. I added my 2 cents to that thread with the intention of making TH a better place for all.

And since you're most likely going to ask anyway, Star Trek TNG gets my vote.

Yea I understand what you mean. I'm not trying to fault the forum staff at all, I just saw some ways people were padding their stats for some sort of confidence boost or bragging rights. I saw some flaws in the system I figured I'd share but I'm sure you've heard it many times before.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, I'll try what you recommend.

I've come to the conclusion that if someones advice is in question, it's a good idea to look at some of their other comments to see if there are any inconsistencies or opinions being portrayed as fact. It doesn't take much digging to find the BS.

(how many points for this?)

Well- since you asked... +4

Sometimes we post for the pure joy of being a little silly in a group - and your thread has the potential to evolve past the singularity into one of those.

EDIT: If they weren't already, we could make those threads pointless. And yes, you did see me in the one that tigsounds linked to.

I think if we were getting paid for our participation then a question of integrity would be in order.

However, since this is a member-fueled forum, we do get to enjoy having a human moment every now and then. It keeps the place more vibrant and I'd like to think more 'inviting' for the regular enthusiast that just happens to hold a wealth of knowledge in their head that can benefit many.

How's that saying go... "All work and no play, makes...??" (Yea, I forgot the rest of it.)
:(

For what it's worth, I do appreciate your humor injected into some of the threads.

I know there's a big gap between the 2 ranks. However, I would hope you're here for more than just the rank. This site can spur teaching and learning.

it just looks cool to have that title though :sol: But i am hoping to get my gold cpu and components badge by the time I get there and possibly a silver badge in graphics and displays.

This just reminds me about how much more active I used to be here. I need to get started again as I actually have up to date hardware again so I can actually help. I've pretty much only been posting in the folding at home thread.

TRENDING THREADS