Sign in with
Your question

Computer constantly freezing

Last response: in Components
July 2, 2012 8:09:40 PM

Hi, a few weeks ago new computer froze on me, i'd been using it around three months with no problems what so ever. I have a seperate computer so i was able to test the hard drive psu, gpu and internal cards. However they all worked fine. Its now come to the point where i cant even get past the bios post without it just crashing. If i manage to get into windows i have around twenty seconds before it dies. I think its either the cpu, ram or mobo, i personally think its the motherboard, but i would really like some second opinions before i buy a new one, which i dont want to do.

My rig is:

I3 2120
Asus p8h61 m lx2
4gb patriot ram
Radeon hd 6850
400gb samsung hdd
Ocz 600w stealth extreme

Please helps and thank you
July 2, 2012 9:03:17 PM

Anyone?
a b ) Power supply
July 2, 2012 9:10:18 PM

have you had anything overclocked at all?
Related resources
July 2, 2012 9:11:59 PM

Pinhedd said:
have you had anything overclocked at all?

Nope, everything's at their standard speeds.
a b ) Power supply
July 2, 2012 9:19:58 PM

swains said:
Nope, everything's at their standard speeds.

I suspected that was the case with an H61. Unfortunately if it won't get past POST without freezing it's going to be very hard to diagnose. If you can get it to run memtest that would be great. Try the following in order:

1. Check for a firmware update. It may be difficult to install if your system is unstable though.

2. Remove, clean with alcohol, and reseat the SDRAM.

3. Remove one SDRAM module and test both sticks individually in all 4 slots (this may take 8 tries). See if you can find a common denominator such as both sticks failing in the same slot, or one stick fails in all slots.

4. Power on the system without the 6850 and use the IGP
July 2, 2012 9:34:14 PM

Pinhedd said:
I suspected that was the case with an H61. Unfortunately if it won't get past POST without freezing it's going to be very hard to diagnose. If you can get it to run memtest that would be great. Try the following in order:

1. Check for a firmware update. It may be difficult to install if your system is unstable though.

2. Remove, clean with alcohol, and reseat the SDRAM.

3. Remove one SDRAM module and test both sticks individually in all 4 slots (this may take 8 tries). See if you can find a common denominator such as both sticks failing in the same slot, or one stick fails in all slots.

4. Power on the system without the 6850 and use the IGP

Yeah, there's no overclocking my i3 2120 and even if i could it would be .1ghz, max. I've tried running the computer with all the components that i don't need etc. I only have one stick of ram and only 2 dimm slots. I've regularly alternated the two, to not success.

No matter what i do, it won't even post, so there's no way i can run memtest :(  tomorrow i'm gonna buy some more ram, if it works then awesome i can send the other stick of ram back if not, then least i know its not the ram and i have more for when i get a new motherboard.

Any more suggestions?

Thank you for the replies, i really appreciate it.
a b ) Power supply
July 2, 2012 9:41:35 PM

swains said:
Yeah, there's no overclocking my i3 2120 and even if i could it would be .1ghz, max. I've tried running the computer with all the components that i don't need etc. I only have one stick of ram and only 2 dimm slots. I've regularly alternated the two, to not success.

No matter what i do, it won't even post, so there's no way i can run memtest :(  tomorrow i'm gonna buy some more ram, if it works then awesome i can send the other stick of ram back if not, then least i know its not the ram and i have more for when i get a new motherboard.

Any more suggestions?

Thank you for the replies, i really appreciate it.

The RAM is the first thing that I would test there. Try and get a matched stick or better yet a whole other matched set.
July 3, 2012 4:28:02 PM

Pinhedd said:
The RAM is the first thing that I would test there. Try and get a matched stick or better yet a whole other matched set.

Hi again, i bought another stick of ram today. Booted with just the new one, and it crashed during the os install. So any other suggestions?

Thank you
a b ) Power supply
July 3, 2012 8:36:02 PM

Did it crash with just the new stick or did you have the old one installed as well?
July 4, 2012 12:30:59 AM

Pinhedd said:
Did it crash with just the new stick or did you have the old one installed as well?

Just the new one.
a b ) Power supply
July 4, 2012 12:54:05 AM

time to test the CPU/mobo. Find another LGA1155 motherboard or CPU to find the culprit
!