Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Hyper 212+ Cooling.

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2012 9:05:26 PM

Ive had this cooler for awhile and my temps are terrible. Take into account that I dont have AC in my house and I live in So Cal where its getting really hot. So I thought it was ambient temps. But I have a window fan that gets the room pretty cold at night. And my temps are pretty much the same. So I thought it was my thermal paste, so I removed the thermal paste on the cooler and CPU and reapplied. Now also keep in mind its some Dynex thermal paste from Best Buy, because I used ALL the thermal paste the first time with the cooler master paste it came with. So now I'm thinking. Does the actual thermal paste make a huge difference because if so I'm going to buy that artic silver paste on newegg that everyone says is really good.

More about : hyper 212 cooling

a b à CPUs
July 2, 2012 9:30:19 PM

How much of the paste are you using? Sounds likr you are using too much. You are only supposed to apply a little dab on the center of the cpu, and let the weight of the cooler base spread it out. Using too much is worse than not using enough because it acts like a insulator, trapping in heat.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 2, 2012 9:33:40 PM

Thats what I did. The first time it covered the CPU. But you can still see some on the CPU. This time someone told me in a previous post with this cooler when I first got it. Was to fill the gaps next to the heat pipes. I did that both times. And I put about a rice sized amount of paste on it this time.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 12:23:38 AM

The rice sized dropped doesnt work for the Hyper, at least it didnt for me. I get my best results (mine is on its 3rd CPU right now) by spreading it as thin as possible with a credit card. I spread it so that its covering the entire processor but is so thin that you can almost see thru it. When I set the Hyper down on the CPU, almost none comes squirting out the side. If you have a good bit coming out the side, then youre using too much.

The Hyper 212+ is a great cooler and is capable of some very high overclocks so if yours isnt defective, its just an issue with something else. Hows the cooling in your case?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 1:41:20 AM

I did that method the last time, with the credit card, and it was like how you said, make it so you can almost see through it, I tried the baggy thing to where I spread it with a sandwich bag. So then the thermal paste really doesnt matter. I cant play newer end games because it gets to hot, 55-59 degrees C. I just have a Intake, and exhaust. No side panel or anything

axe1592 said:
The rice sized dropped doesnt work for the Hyper, at least it didnt for me. I get my best results (mine is on its 3rd CPU right now) by spreading it as thin as possible with a credit card. I spread it so that its covering the entire processor but is so thin that you can almost see thru it. When I set the Hyper down on the CPU, almost none comes squirting out the side. If you have a good bit coming out the side, then youre using too much.

The Hyper 212+ is a great cooler and is capable of some very high overclocks so if yours isnt defective, its just an issue with something else. Hows the cooling in your case?

m
l
July 3, 2012 2:03:00 AM

59 degrees C will be just fine. CPU's are able to take pretty high temperatures. I have the exact same cooler and after running a stress test for an hour or so my temperatures even out at around 75-78 degrees C. Although that's a little hotter than I'd like, anything below 70 degrees C is fine.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 2:11:26 AM

Hmm, I have a AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE, and AMD says the highest temp is about 62C so running at 58 is kinda cutting it close. And also it would probably exceed that if I didnt stop the game I am playing.

Aleatoire said:
59 degrees C will be just fine. CPU's are able to take pretty high temperatures. I have the exact same cooler and after running a stress test for an hour or so my temperatures even out at around 75-78 degrees C. Although that's a little hotter than I'd like, anything below 70 degrees C is fine.

m
l
July 3, 2012 2:15:52 AM

Hmm that's interesting. I'm unfamiliar with AMD safe temperatures. That seems like a pretty low safe temperature although a quick search agrees with what you're saying. Not really sure how I can help you sorry.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 2:17:20 AM

Well the only thing I can think of is reapplying the thermal paste differently or, I need to buy a top of the line thermal paste. Because this dynex crap I dont think is working.

Aleatoire said:
Hmm that's interesting. I'm unfamiliar with AMD safe temperatures. That seems like a pretty low safe temperature although a quick search agrees with what you're saying. Not really sure how I can help you sorry.

m
l
July 3, 2012 2:27:28 AM

I use Arctic Silver 5 which is excellent. Not sure how much of a difference there will be between the Dynex stuff you're using and Arctic Silver but it should be a few degrees.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 2:28:45 AM

Question, is your processor overclocked any?
m
l
July 3, 2012 2:31:23 AM

Me or abcasperr? Mine is a 3570K @ 4.5GHz.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 2:32:26 AM

Sorry, I meant for abcasperr.

But nice, non-the-less. :) 
m
l
July 3, 2012 2:33:13 AM

Haha directly after I posted that I realised: why would you be asking me? =P
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 2:36:50 AM

Well, you did answer a question I had but hadn't bothered to ask anyone. As I am getting the same cooler and the 3570K next month, I was curious what temps to expect with a 4+ GHz overclock. So it worked out :) 

As for the OP, I would also check to make sure that the cooler is tightened correctly so that its firmly sitting on the processor. Tighten the screws as you would tighten a tire. A little bit on one screw, then tighten the next screw that sits diagonally from it, then move to the one next to it, then the one diagonally from it. Then start it all over again until all the screws are snug.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 3:35:16 AM

Nope, the stock 3.4ghz. Im going to try a different method and see if that works

phyco126 said:
Sorry, I meant for abcasperr.

But nice, non-the-less. :) 

m
l
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 7:40:40 AM

just remembering when i first got hyper 212+, was getting weird temps & didn't seem right - was using the pea method, but did some research & testing and found that it wasn't the best way to apply TIM when using that hsf. the filling the gaps on the base of the heat sink & then a thin layer of TIM on the base of the heatsink using a credit card worked perfectly.
m
l
July 3, 2012 10:18:15 AM

I used the pea method to install mine (after filling in the space between the pipes). I have no problems. My cpu temperature is 27C when inactive and up to 35C when gaming. Max temperature for my processor is 81C. I am sure your processor is fine at its temps.
CPU= Pentium D E2200
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
July 3, 2012 6:12:36 PM

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

They show you which method is the best fo the Cm212+.
a b à CPUs
August 17, 2012 6:56:53 PM

Best answer selected by abcasperr.
m
l
!