Dell Optiplex 790, looking for best video card I can get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kbeit

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
Hello,
I have a new Dell Opiplex 790 mini tower with 8 GB Ram, Intel core i7 2600 processor, a crucial 256 ssd drive and a 265 Watt power supply. I am looking for the best video card I can get. I need to run three 22" wide screen monitors. I am mainly running ms office applications and some video. I am open to replacing the power supply if need (need a reccomendation on this too).
Thanks for you help!

Kbeit

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
This one is asking for a minimum 400 Watt power supply, the stock one I have is 265 Watt.
I take it I will have to upgrade the power supply as well?
I am willing to upgrade the power supply but need a recommendation on what will fit my mini tower case.
If I upgrade the power supply, is there a better video card, I am willing to spend $500.
Thanks

Well I would recomend spend 100 on a 800 or 900 whatt power supply then wait a few weeks and get the 7950 it will handla all three screens and play games...

Thent

Oh first off make sure the PCI slots are not limited. I have a Dell that will only provide 25 watt on the PCI bus making high end cards not possible even if you have the right power supply and slot type pissed me off. I had a SB 2500 non k and all I could put on the board was a 9600 GT even a 240 would fail ...

Thent

Kbeit

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012

Thanks for the input, My system has the e93839 ka0121 motherboard, I cannot seem to find any specs to verify what wattage the pci bus will output, there is nothing stamped on the pci express slot. How did you determine that yours would only output 25 watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.