lcasale

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
I have a Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H that has an on board ATI Radeon HD 4200. I for the life of me can't get anything but stereo audio going through HDMI. Windows won't allow me to select 5.1 or 7.1. I can get 5.1 when using an optical cable, but I'd prefer something that would allow 7.1 through HDMI. I started looking around but could never find a 100% certain solution. From my research so far, any Radeon HD 4350 or higher supports 7.1 through HDMI. Can anyone confirm this or recommend a card under $50 that would achieve 7.1 surround sound through HDMI?

Thanks,
-Leo

hezx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
You said you have a Integrated HD4200... Yet you said any thing AFTER HD4350 can do 7.1. 4200 comes before 4350...

But heres a couple of cards that are pretty good under 50... But if you want to spend a couple more bucks get the thrid one. The third one has much faster memory than the first two but its a couple $ more.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127584
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125404
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102947

lcasale

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
You said you have a Integrated HD4200... Yet you said any thing AFTER HD4350 can do 7.1. 4200 comes before 4350...

Yes, despite from reading that the 4200 is capable of surround sound, I'm finding that it isn't.

Here is the link to the manual. Page 88 starts the section about configuring audio.

I read through that and installed the latest version of the Realtek HD Audio manager. According to the manual, I need the Dolby Home Theater GUI software to enable 5.1 and 7.1 through S/PDIF. Unfortunately the software is licensed and can only be obtained from the motherboard CD that is long gone. I did some searching and read that for windows 7 the Dolby software isn't needed and the Realtek HD Audio manager is enough.

However, I don't have the option to configure ANY speaker configuration when I'm connected to my receiver through S/PDIF and the ONLY speaker configuration option I get through HDMI is stereo.

The only time I'm able to achieve any sort of surround sound is when I have XBMC open and play a move that has surround sound. (There's options in XBMC that allow me to force a digital signal into my Onkyo receiver, and when the video starts playing I'll hear and see my receiver kick into digital surround sound mode) But it only plays at 5.1 and the rear sound channels play through the side speakers which isn't ideal. Based on this, I feel like my current hardware is capable but there's some sort of software issue.

I might be upgrading my HTPC to a P5Q-Pro mobo I've got laying around which doesn't have any embedded video solution so buying a new card and those 6450's look like they're plenty and perfect for what I want...IF they are guaranteed to spit out 7.1 surround sound.

sardonicjester

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
More info on your setup would help.

What's your display, TV? if so, brand and model.

are you connecting the PC->tv->receiver? or what is your configuration?

lcasale

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2012
More info on your setup would help.

What's your display, TV? if so, brand and model.

are you connecting the PC->tv->receiver? or what is your configuration?

I have an Onkyo HT-6300 with the HTPC connected directly to the receiver via HDMI. I also have a toslink optical cable connected between the HTPC and receiver with HDMI audio disabled (so the receiver looks at the optical input for sound instead of the HDMI) because that's the only way I can remotely get close to surround sound. None of the options I have in my settings change whether or not the optical cable is connected or of the HDMI is enabled/disabled...I'm always limited to stereo through HDMI. The HTPC is running Windows 7 32-bit. I've tried wiping and re-installing all of the drivers and still have not successfully been able to configure surround sound audio.